Re: Where are the Christian Minds?

Bill Dozier (dozier@radix.net)
Wed, 6 Dec 1995 13:32:55 -0500

Steven H. Schimmrich wrote:

> I would describe myself theologically as a conservative evangelical. Yet
>I feel that I cannot attend many conservative evangelical churches because
>of the outright hostility some of the people in such churches display toward
>non-creationist scientists. If you're a carpenter or an accountant, you're
>OK but if you study science for a living, even as a devout Christian, you're
>treated like a bad guy.

I wouldn't say that I've ever been treated like a "bad guy," (some
suspicion, I would say, but never outright hostility -- but then, I'm *so*
diplomatic about my opinions ;{>) but in every other respect Steven is spot
on. The minds are very closed in all the fundy churches that I have
attended. It will take a long time (if ever) to undo the damage that ICR,
et al have done.

It may be better to concentrate on student organizations as students may be
a bit more open-minded than their parents. Also, students are often pretty
desperate to find a way to reconcile what they've been taught at home to
what they are learning in college/high school.

Bill Dozier
Scatterer at Large