Corel Corporation Launches CorelDRAW 8
Ottawa, Canada — October 27, 1997 — Corel Corporation announced today the launch of CorelDRAW™ 8 — the latest version of it's award-winning graphics and image editing suite optimized for Windows® 95 and Windows NT® 4.0. Billed as "The Choice of Professionals", CorelDRAW 8 and Corel PHOTO-PAINT™ 8 have been enhanced for maximum productivity in the least amount of time. Whether designing professional graphics for print media and presentations or for publishing to the Web, CorelDRAW 8 has an outstanding tool set that facilitates creativity and job efficiency. CorelDRAW 8 is scheduled to hit store shelves by the middle of November and will carry a suggested retail price of $695 US for the full version and $249 US for the upgrade version. Prices subject to change without notice. Dealers may sell for less.
"We've improved CorelDRAW 8 to make it more intuitive, interactive and innovative" said Dr. Michael Cowpland, president and chief executive officer of Corel Corporation. "Professional graphic designers will definitely notice the refinements. With improvements like customizable docker windows, live display and multi-functioning tools it's now easier than ever to be ultra-productive."
A number of major professional improvements are featured in the suite:
- New workspaces allow multiple users to save their own personal working preferences to be called up again later. Almost all options within CorelDRAW 8 can be added to personal workspaces.
- Advanced Web features fully support animated GIF format, offer JPEG preview, allow the new Bookmark Manager to track Internet bookmarks added within CorelDRAW 8 files in addition to supporting WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) HTML layout with the use of HTML tables, cascading style sheets and Netscape layers.
- Enhanced Import Options: Users can now import multiple files and specify their placement on the page by clicking the interactive cursor (which also displays the file name) at any new location in their CorelDRAW document. In addition, there are now options to import an image at original size, scale the image proportionally or scale without maintaining aspect ratio at import time.
- All applications offer maximum usability with an uncluttered flat-look interface, drag and drop access to files and scripts through the Scrapbook and Interactive tools that let users adjust the properties of various effects using on-screen controls
- Docker Windows: Both CorelDRAW 8 and Corel PHOTO-PAINT 8 use docker windows and traditional Roll-Up menus. Users control the placement of the windows by docking them anywhere in the application window. When multiple windows are docked, they will be neatly grouped with tabbed pages for easy navigation.
As well as the three main applications, CorelDRAW 8 contains a number of additional utilities:
- Bitstream® Font Navigator™ 3.0: A font manager for Windows® 95 and Windows NT® 4.0 developed by Bitstream provides a quick and easy way to find and install fonts, view and print font samples or organize fonts into manageable groups.
- Corel OCR-TRACE™ 8: A bitmap-to-vector tracing utility that converts scanned or manually created bitmap artwork into vector images.
- Corel TEXTURE™: A program that creates unlimited natural textures by combining up to seven user- defined shader layers.
- CorelSCAN™ 8: A wizard-driven scanning utility that includes preset options that can remove red-eye from photos or automatically apply effects to scanned images.
- Corel CAPTURE™ 8: An advanced screen capture utility that allows users to capture on-screen video or variations of current windows images.
- Kodak Digital Science™ Color Management System: A system to ensure consistent color between scanners, monitors and printers.
- Corel SCRIPT Editor™: A scripting utility that can be used to create add-on utilities for CorelDRAW 8 and Corel PHOTO-PAINT 8 through OLE 2 automation.
- Plug-Ins: Adobe® Photoshop® -compatible plug-in filters including: AutoF/X™ Photo/Graphic Edges™, Cytopia PhotoLab™, Digimarc® Digital Watermarking and Human Software Squizz!™ can all be used with CorelDRAW and Corel PHOTO-PAINT.
- 40,000 clipart images and symbols
- 1,000 TrueType® and Type 1 fonts
- 1,000 photos
- 450+ CorelDRAW and PaperDirect™ templates
- Animated GIF files, Web background themes, floating objects, tiling textures and more
CorelDRAW 8 has been enhanced to offer greater usability, interactivity and productivity than earlier versions. New Interactive tools allow users to apply effects and adjustments directly to an image while easy-to-use on-screen controls provide immediate feedback on any changes being made. Object creation and editing has been streamlined, giving users the flexibility to perform basic node editing or transformations on an object using any selected creation tool. Object placement and display is smoother and more precise with the new bitmap display features. As well, keyboard shortcuts have been added to both CorelDRAW 8 and Corel PHOTO-PAINT 8 giving users faster access to tool selection, effects and other commands.
A number of areas in CorelDRAW 8 have been made customizable to speed up the work process. Users can save magnification levels in the Zoom Property Bar and custom page size options can be added to the page type list. Hidden objects can now be located by simply clicking the image and holding the ALT key until the image is selected. The print engines in both CorelDRAW 8 and Corel PHOTO-PAINT 8 now support Adobe® Postscript® 3™ and support has been added for the center wheel zooming and panning features with the Microsoft IntelliMouse™
The following are some of the new and improved features that round out CorelDRAW 8:
- Customization: Many elements of the CorelDRAW 8 work environment — including toolbars, hot keys, menus, the status bar, color palettes and application defaults — are completely customizable and can now be saved in different Workspace configurations.
- Interactive Distortion tool: This tool lets users interactively add a variety of contortions and interesting effects to objects. Push and Pull Distortion gravitates nodes toward or away from the center of an object while the Zipper feature offers an intuitive method for applying varied frequency changes to a line or curve. The Twister tool swirls an object's nodes around the center point of the object.
- Interactive Extrude tool: An extrusion can be applied to any object in CorelDRAW 8 by clicking and dragging to set the vanishing point and adjust the depth of the extrusion. The extruded object can also be rotated in three dimensions on-screen.
- Interactive Color Mixing: Users can experiment with on-screen color by pressing CTRL while clicking on any color in the on-screen color palette.
- Fit Text to Frame: The Fit to Frame option can be selected from the text menu or added to the toolbar so paragraph text can be fitted to a frame with a single click.
- Embedded Graphics: For creative logo design and page layout, graphics can be copied to the clipboard where it can then be inserted within a paragraph or artistic text string.
- Text Flow: Text can now flow from a paragraph to any number of objects or paths and back to another paragraph text frame.
- Object Locking: Objects can be locked on the drawing screen to prevent inadvertent changes or moves when editing other portions of a drawing.
- Enhanced Undo: CorelDRAW 8 supports undo across File Saves allowing users to return to a previous point in the design process — even if they have already saved their work.
- Smart Duplication of Objects: Once a duplicated object is created and moved to a new position, the Duplicate option will use this new translated position to place the next duplicates.
- Enhanced Guidelines: Users can now select multiple guidelines, rotate them and adjust the center of rotation for even greater precision.
- 3D Text Effects: Apply realistic 3D effects to text using lighting, bevel options and textures for interesting type extrusions. Transformations such as rotation and zooming can also be applied to the text while in editing mode.
- Display Overprint: A visual cue on the status bar now indicates when the user has applied an overprint to objects within a CorelDRAW 8 file.
- Bitmap Enhancement: Bitmap inflation will adjust the dimensions of a bitmap so that effects are optimally applied. Duotone support, formerly found only in Corel PHOTO-PAINT 8, is now available directly in CorelDRAW 8.
- HTML WYSIWYG Publishing: Through the sophisticated use of HTML tables, layers or cascading style sheets, object layout on the page is preserved when published to HTML. The HTML Wizard walks users through the publishing process – supporting both GIF and JPG formats.
- HTML Compatibility: This feature takes the guesswork out of HTML publishing by automatically removing formatting that is not supported by standard Web browsers.
- Internet Objects: Add Java applets, radio buttons, Options lists and text fields directly to your CorelDRAW 8 Web document.
- Bookmark Manager: The new Bookmark Manager tracks Internet bookmarks added within CorelDRAW 8 files.
- New Palette Editor: Creating and editing palettes is now easier than ever with the new Palette Editor. In addition, on-screen pop-up palettes let the user choose from multiple shades of a selected color.
- Corel® Versions®: A revision management feature that provides overviews of archived files in a history list, allowing users to retrieve any archived file when an earlier version is required.
Corel PHOTO-PAINT™ 8
Corel PHOTO-PAINT 8 is becoming the product of choice for graphic designers and photographers wanting to produce high quality images for print, multimedia and the World Wide Web. Building upon the success of previous versions, Corel PHOTO-PAINT 8 is faster and easier to use than ever before. With multiple performance enhancements and a new streamlined object editing interface, Corel PHOTO-PAINT 8 is an outstanding application for painting, image correction and photo retouching.
- Productivity Enhancements: Non-destructive object Clip Masks, new lenses and interactive transparency adjustment tools give users flexible control and the creative freedom to make multiple modifications to the appearance of an object. In addition, multiple levels of Undo, a revisable edit history list, complete command recording and playback give users an easy route back to an earlier point in an editing session, or to a special sequence of effects with drag-and-drop ease.
- New Effects Preview: Users can now preview special effects, duotone conversion and color adjustments directly on-screen. Once effects have been applied, they can be blended with the original image using the Fade Last Command feature.
- New Photo Correction: Components like Selective Color, in combination with tools like the new Dodge/Burn tool mean any image can be fine-tuned with exacting precision.
- Support for Low Resolution "Proxy" Images: Users with large dimension images can increase their speed by working with low resolution "proxy" images. Once creative work is quickly accomplished on the lower-resolution file, the "Render" command applies all changes from the low resolution image to the original full size image.
- Image Stitching: Allows users to produce edge-matched panoramic images with ease.
- Plug-in Support: Corel PHOTO-PAINT 8 features over 70 Effects filters in addition to complete standard Adobe® plug-in interface support.
- New Web Designing and Publishing Features:
- Images can be batch converted to color-range sensitive or Web-specific 8-bit palettes with the Convert to Palette feature.
- Corel PHOTO-PAINT 8 now supports new transparent GIF, GIF animation, JPG, WVL and FXP export dialogs. This allows user to preview and assess results before exporting the image.
- The PNG export filter and image map creation completes the set of Web tools. For multimedia designers, RGB images can be converted to NTSC gamut images. Animators can produce smooth motion effects with Frame Overlay, viewing of movie files and control of frame rate playback speed.
- Pressure-Sensitive Tools: Pressure-sensitive pens support tilt and rotation. Pressure presets can be recalled at anytime to achieve realistic, hand controlled results. Combined with the new Orbit and Symmetry painting modes, or full-color Image Sprayer, unique and professional result are more achievable than ever before.
- Improved File Import/Export: Using the Path Node Edit tool, CorelDRAW CMX files can be exported to Corel PHOTO-PAINT keeping transparency intact. In addition, CorelDRAW vector images can now be imported to Corel PHOTO-PAINT 8 as vector images.
CorelDREAM 3D 8
CorelDREAM 3D 8, sporting a new flat-look user interface, features improved Internet connectivity with improved support for Virtual Reality Modeling Language (VRML) export that makes it simple to publish to the Web. 3D model creation makes it easier to manage and modify 3D objects with links such as lock, slider and axis and deformation tools such as stretch, shatter and twist. In addition, 3DMF import/export support has been added to the program. The intuitive Object Browser includes directory tabs and the ability to open/close files in the Object Browser and users can improve texture mapping on 3D models with versatile shaders.
CorelDRAW 8 — optimized for Windows 95 or Windows NT 4.0 — requires a Pentium® 90 processor (Pentium 133 processor recommended), 16 MB RAM (32 MB strongly recommended), 80 MB of hard disk space to install CorelDRAW 8, Help, filters and fonts. Users will require a CD-ROM drive, SVGA monitor and mouse or tablet. It is recommended that users install small fonts.
As part of an ongoing commitment to the academic community, Corel is offering the Academic Version of CorelDRAW 8 to eligible users for $139 US. Those eligible to purchase academic shrink-wrapped software products include accredited schools, faculties, post secondary students, senior citizens, hospitals, supervisory institutions, libraries, museums, non profit institutions and correctional facilities.
CorelDRAW 8 will soon be available in 14 language versions. German,
French, Italian, Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese and Dutch are
scheduled for release by mid-December 1997 while Swedish and
Czech are scheduled to be available by the end of March 1998.
Japanese, Chinese Traditional and Simplified, Korean and an
Arabic/Hebrew bi-directional version are all scheduled to ship by the
middle of 1998. Additional languages are currently under review.
User Loyalty Mail-in Rebate
Until February 28, 1998, Corel is offering registered users of CorelDRAW 7 the opportunity to upgrade to the full retail version of CorelDRAW 8 and receive a $25 US or $30 CDN mail-in rebate. Rebates will be offered in local currencies where available. CorelDRAW 7 users can soon call their local Corel Customer Service representative for more information.
This offer des not apply to Academic, OEM or licensed versions of CorelDRAW 8.
Register Now and SAVE!
Upon on-line registration of CorelDRAW 8, users will receive a $100 US credit towards the purchase of Stock Photos from Corel eStore™. Offer valid until November 30, 1998. Details in box.
These promotions are void where prohibited by law.
Technical Support Policy
Corel offers 90 days of free technical support on a toll line from the official release date of the product. Customers who do not call within the first 90 days will be offered 30 days of free support on a toll line from the date of their first technical support call.
Corel has added a new service to its technical support options. New AnswerPerfect™ allows customers to submit technical support questions by e-mail to Corel's Web site (www.corel.com) for an introductory price of $14.95 US per incident payable by credit card, for English language product requests only. Corel will respond to AnswerPerfect questions within one business day.
Additional support options:
- IVAN: Corel's Interactive Voice Answering Network that provides customers with rapid access to the most current product information. Customers can obtain this service 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, on a toll line from the date of their first technical support call.
- Bulletin Board Service (BBS): A 24-hour information resource that lets customers access product information and helpful program files. Customer can contact the BBS by dialing (613) 728-4752.
- Automated Fax System: Faxes of technical support information are available by dialing (613) 728-0826 ext. 3080 and requesting document number 2000 for a catalog of available documents.
- CompuServe® Information Services: CompuServe subscribers can access the Corel Technical Support forum by typing GO COREL.
- Corel's Home Page: For up-to-the-minute information customers can access Core's Web site at www.corel.com.
Incorporated in 1985, Corel Corporation is recognized internationally as an award-winning developer and marketer of productivity applications, graphics and Internet software. Corel's product line includes CorelDRAW™, Corel® WordPerfect® Suite, Corel® Office Professional, Corel® WebMaster Suite and CorelCAD™. Corel's products run on most operating systems, including: Windows®, Macintosh®, UNIX, MS-DOS, and OpenVMS and are consistently rated among the strongest in the industry. The company ships its products in over 17 languages through a network of more than 160 distributors in 70 countries worldwide. Corel is traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange (symbol: COS) and the NASDAQ — National Market System (symbol: COSFF). For more information visit Corel's home page on the Internet at Corel's home page.