HISTORY OF THE JESUS MOVEMENT
by Dave DiSabatino
Visit Dave's web site Remembering---the Jesus Movement
The following thesis was finished during the 1993-94 semester year at McMaster
Divinity College (McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario, CANADA). The
readers for the thesis were eminent Baptist historian, Dr. William Brackney,
and the equally formidable theologian, Dr. Clark Pinnock. The research was
conducted over a two year period wherein many of the movement's participants
were interviewed by phone, mail or through tape recorded transmission. The
research herein contained must not be reproduced without the expressed permission
of the author.
Author's Email: David DiSabatino (email@example.com)
Email address revised November 5, 1995.
2008 Aldermead Rd.
Mississauga, Ontario, L5M 3A7, Canada
(905) 820 1636
By Permission of Sawyer Press, Los Angeles.
Cartoon by Ron Cobb in the LA Free Press, 1967.
Table of Contents
- I. Background and Setting of the 1960s
- II. The Advent of the Jesus People
- Introduction, [Page] 14
- Origins 19
- Two Sources of Jesus People 22
- III. The Jesus People Movement (1967 - 1973) p25
- Jesus People Communes 25
- Soul Inn (San Francisco, CA) 27
- The Living Room House of Acts (San Francisco and Novato, CA) 30
- Shiloh Ranches (Dexter, OR) 37
- Love Inn (Freeville, N.Y.) 40
- Milwaukee Jesus People (Milwaukee, WI) 43
- Jesus Family 45
- Jesus People USA (Chicago, IL) 48
- The Hip Churches 50
- Bethel Tabernacle (Redondo Beach, CA) 51
- Calvary Chapel (Costa Mesa, CA) 56
- House of Miracles (Costa Mesa, CA) 59
- The Vineyard Churches (Anaheim, CA) 63
- Toronto Catacombs (Toronto, ON) 65
- Cornerstone Church (Brantford, ON) 69
- Jesus People Intelligentsia 72
- Christian World Liberation Front (Berkeley, CA) 72
- Don Williams (Hollywood, CA) 74
- House of the Mandarin Door (Montreal, PQ) 77
- Jesus People Evangelists 78
- Arthur Blessitt (Hollywood, CA) 78
- Linda Meissner and the Jesus People Army (Seattle, WA) 82
- Extremists. 85
- Children of God 86
- IV. Institutionalization of the Jesus People Movement
- Jesus Papers 101
- Hollywood Free Paper 103
- Right On! 104
- Jesus Music. 105
- Fred Caban (Agape) 106
- Love Song 109
- Larry Norman 110
- Organizational Institutionalization 114
- V. The Jesus People Movement as Evangelical Renewal
- Primary Elements of Renewal Justification and Sancitification 124
- Indwelling Spirit .125
- Authority in Spiritual Conflict 128
- Christology 132
- Secondary Elements Theological Integration 136
- Disenculturation 139
- VI. Analysis of the Jesus People Movement
- Popular Assessment Media Blitzkrieg 145
- The Cynics 149
- Books 152
- Was it a Revival? 156
- Analytical, Sociological Assessment 160
- Historical Assessment 162
- Further study of the Jesus People Movement p164
- VII. Implications for the Contemporary Church
- The Contemporary Christian Music Industry 171
- The New Denominations 173
- Leaders and Parachurch Organizations. p176
- Appendix A: "Where Have They Gone?"
by Fred Caban 180
- Bibliography 181
Agape Communications has a web
site up and running. Information about both the gospel hard rockin' band
Agape. . . and articles and sundry information about the Jesus People movement.
David Di Sabatino, Jesus People historian. 3/10/96.
You are the 7,316th visitor to this
page since August 19, 1995.
June 16, 1994. Online version by permission of the author, June 22, 1995.
Cartoon added April 15, 1996.
Update added by the author, August 19, 1995.