Family Tree Maker Version 4.0b Update
The update to Family Tree Maker 4.0 and 4.0a is now available! We sincerely apologize for any
inconvenience or difficulty that you may have experienced with your copy of Family Tree Maker 4.0 or
4.0a. We've set a high quality standard for ourselves over the eight years we've been developing the
program, and we do extensive testing before every release of Family Tree Maker. As with all software
programs, occasionally we discover a problem in the current version. We evaluate the gravity of the
problem, and if the problem is very serious (for example, if it will damage your data, or if a feature is not
working the way it was designed), we investigate and fix the error. The update release is then
slip-streamed into production. You can get this update either by downloading it here or by calling us for
replacement CDs. We hope that this will maintain your confidence, both in the quality of our software, and
in Broderbund Software as a company that takes care of its customers.
Things to note before updating:
- The update software makes changes to your installed copy of Family Tree Maker 4.0 or 4.0a. You
must have installed one of these versions prior to running this update software. To verify which version of
Family Tree Maker you have, from the Help menu in Family Tree Maker select
About Family Tree Maker. If you find that you have an earlier version, you can
order an upgrade to version 4.0.
- Family Tree Maker needs to be closed before updating. If it is open when you run the update
software, the update software will automatically save your current Family File and close the program for
- The update software will not change your Family File in any way. The only files that will change are
program files. Making regular backups of your Family File is always a good idea, however. If you have
not recently backed up your file, we recommend that you do so before proceeding.
- The Family Tree Maker Version 4.0b Update is approximately 2 MB and requires 15 MB of
temporary free hard disk space in order to run.
- If you need to update your browser in the future, and you have installed this 4.0b update you will
no longer be able to use the Family Tree Maker 4.0 program CD to change your browser as described on
page 379 of your user's manual. Instead, see the Problems with installing a browser section in our online Technical Support information. It will tell you how to manually update Family Tree Maker with your new or changed browser information.
To download the update:
- Decide which version of the Family Tree Maker Version 4.0b Update to download. We offer both a
Windows 3.1 version and a version for those using Windows 95.
- Click the appropriate link below to begin downloading the Family Tree Maker Version 4.0b Update.
- Note the download location so that you can run the update software once the download is complete.
We have also provided detailed updating instructions for those who need
them as well as troubleshooting tips for the update software. And, a
complete list of corrected problems is available if you have questions
about what we changed.
Download the Windows 3.1 version
Download the Windows 95 version
[ Find Family | How-To Articles | Web Sites | World Family Tree | Research Services]
[ Genealogy Help | Community | Books | Family Archive CDs | Family Tree Maker | Home ]
© Copyright 1996-99, Broderbund Software, Inc. All rights reserved.