About the Kernel Patch Summaries
These summaries are written after each kernel release by examining the chunks of each patch file and figuring out what has changed. Occasionally, they are supplemented by notes that Linus (and others) posted to the linux-kernel mailing list.
The summaries from 2.2.0 onwards were put together by Myrdraal@deathsdoor.com -- originally appearing on the Cutting Edge Linux website.
Yaroslav Rosomakho is now also writing some kernel summaries, including pre-patches!
5 Latest Kernels
Linux 2.2.6 patch -
Linux 2.2.5 patch -
- Microgate SyncLink adapter support added.
- Synchronous HDLC line discipline support added: Support for drivers
like the previous...
- Stallion multiport serial driver documentation updates.
- Minor Alpha SMP code updates.
- Minor ptrace code update for x86, sparc, and sparc64 architectures.
- Sparc architecture updates: Touches process, ptrace, and memory management
- Sparc64 architecture updates: Touches SMP, memory management, and
32bit/64bit ioctl conversion code.
- Floppy driver updates.
- Unused variable removed from the ramdisk driver.
- Minor black and white QuickCam driver updates: Module parameter added that
allows you to specify which parports will be scanned. (I don't know
what it is called.)
- Stallion intelligent multiport serial driver updates.
- Stallion multiport serial driver updates.
- Minor fibre channel device subsystem update.
- es1370 sound driver updates: GETxPTR ioctl bugfix, eturn EAGAIN instead
of EBUSY when O_NONBLOCK read/write cannot be executed.
- es1371 sound driver updates: Same changes as es1370.
- sonicvibes sound driver updates: Same changes as es1370.
- Minor framebuffer console code update.
- adfs filesystem driver updates.
- Minor bugfix update to filesystem buffer code: This fixes a potential
problem under certain load conditions.
- VFS generic filesystem layer update: FIOASYNC (O_SYNC) IOCTL support added.
- Minor NFS lock daemon update.
- BSD process accounting code update: Problem that prevented a successful
- Kernel uid handling code updated.
- SMP signal handling code update: May result in better scheduling.
- Minor Appletalk DDP net driver updates.
- Network code updates: This concerns serializing/synchronizing the network
subsystem, I believe.
- Network filter code updates.
- NFS-as-root-directory code update.
- Minor network scheduler updates.
- Minor ksymoops OOPS decoder utility update.
I made Linux-2.2.5 yesterday (as some people already have noticed: due to
popular demand I try to delay the announcement for some time in order to
let the thing percolate to mirror sites, in case anybody wondered).
The 2.2.5 release is meant to be a final cleanup release before I leave
for a two-week vacation. So please take these release notes to also mean
that it is probably a good idea to hold off emailing me stuff directly,
unless it is a major bug that you really think I should look at
immediately. I would suggest people discuss problems on the mailing list
and on the newsgroups, where other competent people are, rather than
expecting me to do much about it.
Also, note that there have been various indications that egcs potentially
miscompiles the kernel, or at least makes some problems worse. We don't
know whether that is due to one or more kernel bugs, compiler problems, or
just combinations of "features" in both. I would suggest that if you have
problems you at least verify whether the problems still exist with
That said, I bet that both the kernel people and the egcs people would be
really happy the more people look into this - if somebody feels motivated
enough and sees problems with egcs, it would be extremely powerful to try
to pinpoint the particular file that seems to bring on the problems. I'm
afraid it needs a known failure mode and lots of legwork to find out what
triggers it, though.
Anyway, 2.2.5 does:
- compiles with accounting.
- add support for Microgate SyncLink and Synchronous HDLC
- stallion driver update
- alpha EV6 and SMP fix for bootup with newer compilers
- ptrace fix for sparc/i386
- small sparc updates
- floppy driver could oops at bootup under certain setups
- random driver updates (bw-qcam, sound driver error codes, etc oneliners)
- FIOASYNC ioctl fix
- network locking fixes
- SMP "struct user" and signal sending fixes
Have fun, because I will,
Linux 2.2.4 patch -
There's a new 2.2.x version out there now.
As of 2.2.4, I shoul dbe synchronized with the Sparc and PPC ports,
which is the major reason why the patch is pretty huge. Apart from the
architecture synchronizations, 2.2.4 does:
- dumping core over NFS could do bad things. Core-dumping cleaned up and
- various small TCP/IP buglets fixed. Linux got confused by hosts that
didn't report any mss, and had problems with zero-sized fragments, etc.
- various small, often silly bugs fixed (PC BIOS PCI buglet, alpha
semaphores, bottom half interrupts, fork() returns wrong error code).
- tons of driver updates
- updated net scheduling code (CONFIG_NET_SCHED)
Most of the fixes aren't all that noticeable, but some of them can be
showstoppers depending on whether you've ever seen them.
I hope to hear reports of the new kernel, and I'm going on a two-week
vacation starting mid next week, so please give this a whirl.
Linux 2.2.3 patch -
- Double Talk PC internal speech card support added.
- Typhoon radio tuner support added.
- CMI8330 sound chip documentation added. (Documentation/sound/CMI8330)
- Sound Blaster 16X Vibra documentation added. (Documentation/sound/VIBRA16)
- Alpha architecture updates. (Should compile now.)
- x86 PCI code updates.
- x86 time code updates.
- Minor generic HD driver updates.
- BLKSSZGET (get block size) ioctl added to block device drivers. (Not sure
- Network Block Devices updates.
- BTTV driver updates.
- Console driver updates.
- Minor radio tuner driver updates.
- Minor 8390 net driver update.
- Cosa net driver updates.
- Greenwich GIrBIL IRDA dongle support added.
- IRDA drivers updated.
- PCM-4823 support added to the NE net card driver.
- Minor PLIP net driver updates.
- Network traffic shaper updated. (Better SMP support.)
- SMC Ultra net card driver updates.
- Minor PCI code updates.
- Initio INI-A100U2W SCSI support added.
- Symbios 53c416 SCSI support added.
- Qlogic ISP FibreChannel SCSI support enabled.
- MegaRAID SCSI driver updates.
- ncr53c8xx SCSI driver updates.
- Minor SCSI tape driver update.
- Sound driver updates.
- Framebuffer console drivers updated.
- Filesystem buffer code updates.
- Minor disk quota code update.
- Minor FAT CVF filesystem code updates.
- Minor FAT filesystem driver updates.
- Minor NFS lockd updates.
- NFS updates.
- Minor /proc virtual filesystem driver updates.
- Minor VFAT filesystem driver update.
- Network filtering now compiles.
- Minor kernel fork() code update.
- Kernel printk code update.
- Minor memory management code updates.
- Network bridging updates.
- Minor ipv4 updates.
- Minor ipv6 update.
- Unix domain socket garbage collection code updates.
- Minor ksymoops OOPS decoding utility.
Linux 2.2.2 patch -
Notes: Mostly nice bugfixes here. If you aren't having problems with 2.2.1, this
is probably not a critical upgrade.
- Extensive updates to the kernel configuration help file.
- kbuild documentation added. (Documentation/kbuild/)
- ESS sound driver documentation added. (Documentation/sound/ESS)
- Kernel makefiles updated.
- Alpha architecture updates.
- x86 IO-APIC code updates.
- x86 IRQ code updates.
- Minor x86 update so that /proc/cpuinfo will show the correct stepping for
stepping 0 chips.
- x86 SMP code updates.
- x86 semaphore code updates.
- Generic HD driver updates.
- IDE disk driver updates.
- Better support for optical IDE devices added.
- BTTV driver updates.
- PS/2 mouse driver updates. (Now handles mouse ACKs properly.)
- Minor pty code update.
- Kernel virtual console code updates.
- defxx net card driver updates.
- Minor eepro100 net card driver update.
- Minor PPP net driver update.
- syncppp net driver updates.
- ThunderLan net card driver updates.
- z85230 net card driver updates.
- Minor atp870u SCSI driver update.
- IDE-SCSI driver updates.
- imm SCSI driver updates.
- Minor ncr53c8xx SCSI driver update.
- Sound driver updates.
- Minor AFFS filesystem driver update.
- AutoFS updates.
- Filesystem buffer code updates.
- Minor Coda network filesystem driver updates.
- HFS filesystem driver updates.
- VFS updates.
- NFS lockd updates.
- Kernel NFS daemon updates.
- Minor SMBFS network filesystem driver updates.
- kpiod kernel thread added to stamp out VM deadlocks.
- Kernel scheduler code updates.
- sysctl code update.
- Net code updates and bugfixes.
- ipv4 updates.
- ipv6 updates.
- ipx updates.
- SunRPC updates.
- Kernel configuration scripts updated.
- Menuconfig updates.
- Xconfig updates.
At about a week late due to various silly problems (davem crashed his disk
with the TCP fixes on it etc), it's out there. Go and have fun,
Kernels 2.2.0 to 2.2.6
Copyleft © The LinuxHQ Project. Licensed under the GNU Public License.