|DET KONGELIGE BIBLIOTEK|
The National Museum of Photography is a new institution, established by the Royal Library
on 20 September 1996.
The museum is the realization of an idea conceived 16 years ago. But it has not been possible until now, in connection with the Royal Library's large addition on the harbour front, to create the required physical framework for the museum plans.
The new building, popularly known as the Black Diamond, was designed by the architectural firm Schmidt, Hammer og Lassen and will be finished in the autumn of 1998. The National Museum of Photography will have close to 420 square metres of exhibition space for special exhibits and displays from the permanent collection. The museum will also have a reading room and storage space together with the Department of Maps, Prints and Photographs, to which it belongs administratively.
The collection of the National Museum of Photography owes its existence to Bjørn Ochsner (1910-1989), who was the head of the Department of Maps, Prints and Photographs from 1945 to 1980. He laid the foundation of the department's large photography collection, in particular the historical photography collection, the basis of the National Museum of Photography.
* after the name of the photographer indicates that a photograph is included among those exhibited here.
Postal address: The Royal Library
Post Office Box 2149
1016 Copenhagen K
Department Head, mag.art. Ingrid Fischer Jonge
Tel.: + 45 33 47 47 47
Telefax: + 45 3393 2218