The utilities I use
Personally I use the following utilities:
They are all for DOS except WinTex, that runs under Windoze.
All the comments I've written are my own personal opinions about the utilities.
- DEU 5.21
- DEU is a good editor for DOOM, but it can't make DOOM ][ or
Heretic levels. You can also check the DEU homepage.
- WinTex 4.2
- WinTex is the best all round DOOM editing utility.
Using WinTex you can change almost everything you ever dreamed
of in a DOOM wad.
Check the WinTex homepage.
- RMB 3.0
- I'm the author of RMB, so I ought to use it. RMB can be used to
speed up DOOM wads, and edit what monsters should be allowed to
see. RMB can be run from within WinTex, but WinTex doesn't
support the RMB option file (yet). It is however
possible in the new version of WinTex (4.0) to make reject map
special effects. To read more about RMB check the RMB homepage.
- WM 1.01
- This editor is very similar to DEU, but it can make
levels for DOOM ][.
- ZenNode v0.98a
- This is a good node builder to use if you want to create special effects, so naturally I use this nodebuilder.
- IDBSP 102d
- IDBSP is id Software's own node builder.
It renumbers and merges the sectors, so it usually
a nuisance to work with especially when RMB is involved.
- WADED 1.83
- I think WADED
is a good editor for beginners. However I demand full control
over everything so WADED isn't really for me. Take a
look at the WADED homepage.
- EdMap 1.40
- This editor is too sector oriented for me. I don't want to
spend my time creating new square sectors, adding vertexes to
the sides, and merging sides to existing sectors.
Besides, I find it VERY difficult to split an existing
sector in two.
- Dm2Conv 3.2
- This is a great utility to convert between different
versions of DOOM.
- DeHackEd 3.0
- I don't use this utility very much, but it's quite good
if you're not afraid to mess around with your EXE file.
Check the DehackEd homepage.
- DMAUD 1.1c
- This tool makes it easy to import new sounds in a WAD.
All the comments on this page are mine, you might feel very
different about some of the utilities mentioned. Feel free to send me a mail and we'll discuss it...
Jens Hykkelbjerg / firstname.lastname@example.org