West Coast Railway
Carriage History Details
West Coast Railway's carriage fleet comprises S and Z type carriages, manufactured by the Victorian Railways. Throughout their service lives, these carriages have undergone a number of modifications and transformations, their individual histories are presented below.
ACZ First Class Saloon Carriages, with Conductors Module
ACZ252 - built in March 1957, classified 2AZ. Refurbished in July 1984 to become ACZ252, modifications being the removal of one toilet and four seats, and building of a Conductors compartment at the east end of the car. Used on a Royal Train to Geelong in 1988.
ACZ255 - built in December 1957, classified 5AZ. Modified to ACZ255 in August 1984. This carriage was fitted with new design seat covers in 1998.
ACZ257 - built in May 1958, classified 7AZ. Converted to ACZ257 in June 1985, and extensively rebuilt by West Coast Railway in 1997/98, including new interior trim, all new 415V AC electrical system, and pneumatically operated sliding end-door.
BZ Economy Class Saloon Carriages
BZ267 - built in August 1958 as 4BZ, refurbished and reclassified BZ267 in September 1983.
BZ269 - built in December 1958 as 6BZ, refurbished and reclassified BZ269 in November 1984. This was the last WCR carriage to be converted to HEP operation, in 1998.
BZ270 - built in February 1959 as 7BZ, refurbished and reclassified BZ270 in November 1983
BRS Economy Class Compartment Carriages, with Snack Bar
BRS type carriages were formed by modifying AS (First Class) and BS (Economy Class) type compartment cars, with the removal of one toilet and two compartments, replaced by a buffet area, including refrigeration and microwave facilities. At this time their electrical systems were also replaced with new 415V three phase AC equipment, powered by an underframe mounted diesel-alternator set. This alone makes them a most versatile carriage, electrically they are capable of operating as stand-alone vehicles (powered by their own diesel-alternator), or operated on HEP supply. A further development is a modification which allows a BRS car to use it's own diesel-alternator to power itself, plus one adjacent vehicle, a facility used when a powervan is not available. Except for those built during World War II, these carriages feature interior timber veneer panelling. All BRS carriages have 6 compartments, seating 48 passengers.
BRS221 - built 9 April 1940, this carriage has painted internal panelling - a unique feature of S type carriages built during World War II. It entered service as first class car 6AS. Rebuilt into BRS221 in April 1983.
BRS222 - built 18 December 1952, this was the last first class compartment car built in Victoria, being classified 16AS. Converted to BRS2 in March 1983, then reclassified BRS222. Damaged in the Werribee derailment in September 1995, this carriage was repaired and refurbished, re-entering traffic on Saturday 31/10/98, it's first revenue run being on the 8:43 service to Warrnambool. It is unique in that the diesel-alternator was not re-fitted, it now operates off HEP supply only.
BRS223 - built 29 March 1949, this carriage entered service as 12AS, and in May 1953 was converted to 1ABS, a composite first and second class car, with four compartments for each class. It was painted to match the Overland carriages (maroon and silver), and used for roadside passengers on this train. In February 1967 the carriage returned to intrastate use (sufficient AJ and BJ Overland cars had been constructed), and was converted back to 12AS on 19 October 1972. In June 1983, it was converted to BRS design and renumbered BRS223.
BRS224 - built 3 September 1940 as 7BS, this carriage also carries the painted interior finish which characterises S carriages built during World War II. This carriage was converted to BRS224 in September 1983.
BRS225 - The only original Spirit Of Progress carriage owned by West Coast Railway, this carriage built 14/11/1937, and was second class Coach Number 9 of the first Spirit Of Progress on 23 November 1937. It was renumbered 4BS in August 1939, and significantly modified in July 1977 to become 1MRS, a mini-buffet car for use on the Mildura line Vinelander service. This conversion saw three compartments removed with a food serving area and lounge with fixed coffee tables. In October 1983 it was again modified to form BRS225. It's Spirit Of Progress heritage is shown by it's riveted body construction.
BRS229 - Built 2 December 1948 as 9AS, this carriage was modified to in September 1956 to form 3ABS, a composite car for use on the Daylight Express to Albury. Reconverted to 9AS in December 1963, it was then converted to mini-buffet 3MBS in October 1968, and used again on the Albury line. In October 1983 it was converted to BRS229. This is the first of West Coast Railway's BRS cars to carry the new corporate trim, of grey carpets and new seat covers.
BS Economy Class Compartment Carriages
The steel bodied S car design began life as part of the prestigious Spirit Of Progress in 1937. Originally, AS cars seated 6 passenger per compartment, with BS carriages seating 8. Since the mid-1980's, S type carriages have all been converted to economy configuration. Except for those built during World War II, S cars feature timber veneered interior panelling. Original Spirit Of Progress cars are distinguished from later builds by their external rivets.
BS201 - built on 22 March 1949 as 11AS, this car was converted to 1BS in June 1982, and renumbered BS201 in August 1984.
BS205 - built 9 May 1950 as 14AS, converted to economy class and renumbered BS205 in December 1983.
BS206 - built in May 1940 as 8AS, this car also has the painted interior panelling. Converted to AS206 in July 1984, then to BS206 in October 1985.
BS207 - built as Spirit Of Progress Coach Number 5 on 5 April 1938, this car was renumbered 5AS in August 1939, and was included in the last broad gauge Spirit Of Progress on 16/4/1962. It was converted to economy class 7BS in August 1983, and renumbered to BS207 in April 1986. This carriage features the external body rivets which characterise the first build of S type carriages. It was the first vehicle to undergo refurbishment by West Coast Railway, including new interior carpets, seat covers and curtains, pneumatically operated end doors, and a retention toilet - modifications which will be progressively applied across the fleet.
BS208 - built 5 April 1955 as 8BS. Reclassified BS208 in December 1984, now in storage at Ballarat East.
BS210 - built 4 December 1952 as 15AS, and converted to AS210 in November 1984, and BS210 in September 1985. This carriage is in storage at Ballarat East.
BS212 - built in 20 May 1949 as 13AS, it was converted to composite car 2ABS in July 1953 and worked on the Overland (as did BRS223). Returned to intrastate service in February 1967 and converted to 15BS on 16 November 1972. Reclassified BS12 in June 1983, and BS212 in May 1985, this carriage was stored by V/Line, and swapped for BS203, which was damaged in the Werribee derailment of September 1995. It entered West Coast Railway service in March 1998.
Back to Enthusiast Page