7 more North Koreans shot dead in South
Manhunt for others from submarine continues
September 19, 1996
Web posted at: 3:15 p.m. EDT (1915 GMT)
In this story:
SEOUL, South Korea (CNN) -- South Korean troops surrounded
and killed seven North Koreans in three shootouts Thursday
during a manhunt in remote eastern mountains, the Seoul
government said. Thousands of soldiers searched for more of
the communist infiltrators who came from a submarine that ran
aground a day earlier.
Eighteen North Koreans have been killed since their submarine
was found early Wednesday in the surf just off Kangnung, 90
miles (140 kilometers) east of Seoul. One intruder was
captured and interrogated but provided few details on what
South Korean officials say was a spy mission meant to raise
tensions on the Korean Peninsula.
It was not clear how many other North Koreans might still be
at large. North Korea has not commented on the incident,
which has heightened concern in the South that the North is a
serious military threat.
'Danger from the north'
"Many young people who didn't experience the Korean War are
now thinking again about the real danger from the North,"
said Choi Jeoung-Wook of the Institute for National
Unification. The incident "will move the South Korean people
to a more conservative orientation," he said.
As night fell Thursday, South Korean troops suspended the
search but remained stationed along suspected escape routes.
Helicopters prowled over steep ravines, scattering leaflets
urging the fleeing North Koreans to turn themselves in.
The three shootouts Thursday took place about 20 miles (30
kilometers) northwest of where the submarine landed. The
North Koreans -- three in two groups and one in another --
were spread out over a widely scattered area. One South
Korean soldier suffered slight injuries.
The North Koreans wore jeans and T-shirts, civilian jackets
and tennis shoes. They were also armed with pistols, knives
and grenades. They appeared to be trying to get back to the
border, some 40 miles (65 kilometers) farther north.
Eleven other North Koreans were found dead on a mountain
Wednesday. All had been shot in the head in an apparent
suicide pact to avoid capture.
South Korean General Shin Sang-kil told reporters Thursday
that the captured intruder had been plied with alcohol by
interrogators and was slowly beginning to talk. "He at first
refused to answer, saying he feared for the lives of his
family he left in the North, but after drinking four (small)
bottles of soju (Korean liquor), he began to open his mouth,"
The man, identified as Li Gwang Su, told investigators that
his submarine lost engine power shortly after leaving its
home port of Wonsan on Monday and drifted into South Korean
waters. But he refused to disclose where it was headed or
what its mission was, South Korean officials said.
Defense Minister Lee Yang-ho told Parliament Thursday that
the lone captured intruder initially said 20 were aboard the
sub but later said there were up to 27.
Bureau Chief Sohn Jie-Ae and The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Related sites: Note: Pages will open in a new browser window
External sites are not endorsed by CNN Interactive.
Some newsgroups may not be supported by your service provider.
© 1996 Cable News Network, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.