|GameFAQs Message Boards FAQ Version 0.9|
New User Questions|
- How do I post messages or create topics?
Just click the "Post New Message" or "Create New Topic" link in the topmost bar. Of course, you have
to be logged in first before posting a message.
- How do I log in?
Just click the "Log In" link in the topmost bar. If you don't already have a username and password,
you fill first need to register.
- How do I register?
Just click the "Log In" link in the topmost bar and click on the "Registration" link, or click the
"Register" link on the main boards page. When registering, you will need to provide a username,
password, and a working e-mail address where you can receive outside messages. After registering,
you will receive a URL that you can use to activate your account.
- Why do I have to give you my e-mail address?
Because it adds a small portion of accountability to posting. Without a valid e-mail address, people
could create hundreds of different usernames very quickly, which would be a very bad thing indeed.
- I didn't get an activation key. What happened?
99 times out of 100, the problem is either that you didn't provide a valid e-mail address, you are blocking
e-mail from external sites (many AOL and CompuServe users have this set), or the mail server you are
using is having problems (Yahoo! Mail tends to bounce messages for no reason on occasion). If you
don't get an activation key, you will need to register on the boards again. If you wait 48 hours,
the username you registered with will be deleted.
- I tried to use my activation key, but I got a message saying it expired. What happened?
Either you didn't activate your account within 48 hours, you didn't cut-and-paste the activation URL
correctly, or (most likely) you already activated your account. Log in and check your privilege level
(it's located after your username in the topmost bar on the topic and message lists); if it's not "0",
you're ready to go.
- I forgot my password. What do I do?
On the "Log In" page, there's a link that will e-mail you your password.
- I'm logged on, but I still can't post messages. Why not?
Either you haven't activated your account yet, or your account has been revoked. Check your privilege
level (it's located after your username in the topmost bar on the topic and message lists); if it's
less than "2", you can't post messages, and if it's less than "4", you can't create topics. Read
the privilege level section below for more information.
- I found an offensive message/topic. What do I do?
Mark it for moderation. Click on the "Moderate" link right above the message, select a resason, and
submit it. This will inform the moderators that there is a message that is detrimental to the boards,
and it will be looked at very quickly.
- Why can't I moderate messages?
You need to be at least Level 5 before being able to mark messages. Read the privilege level section
below for more information.
- How do I find out more information about another user?
Click on their username just above any post they've made.
- Why can't I create a new topic?
You need to be at least Level 4 before being able to create topics. Read the privilege level section
below for more information.
- Why can't I post more than three messages an hour?
You need to be at least Level 5 before being able to post more messages. Read the privilege level section
below for more information.
- How do I make my text bold and/or italic?
You can use the standard HTML bold and italic tags. <B> marks the beginning of bold text,
</B> ends it. <I> marks the beginning of italic text, </I> ends it. Just
don't abuse it.
- Why can't I use underlines/colors/images/links?
Underlines look like links. Colors are distracting. Images are usually huge, often unnecessary, and
usually bigger than the post itself. Links aren't good, as people could easily trick people into linking
- How do I get a signature, quote, or change my preferences?
Once you are logged on, click on your username on the message list or topic list screens.
- What's a signature?
A one-to-two-line saying that will automatically be added to every message you post.
- Why doesn't my quote show up in my posts?
Because that's what the signature does. Your quote will only be visible on your user information screen
when someone clicks on your username on a message you've posted.
- I tried to post a message, but I got an error saying I used an offensive word. What happened?
Because you either used an offensive word or a word that contains one. Be warned that the only
acceptable means of showing swear words is to completely blot it out (****, ^!). Just eliminating
one or two or even all but one letter will probably get your posting privileges suspended or revoked.
- Which words will are not allowed?
The basic dirty words (the f-word, the s-word, the b-word, and so on), several slang terms for genitalia,
several explicitly racist words, and a few other terms usually used primarily to abuse others. Basically,
if you type it out, and the censor picks it up, it's not allowed.
- Which "dirty" words are allowed?
You can say "ass", "crap", "damn", "bastard", "hell", and "arse". Don't say them too often or direct
them towards another user or you'll end up getting moderated for being offensive or flaming.
- Why was my message/topic deleted?
Because it was marked for moderation by a user, and one of the moderators decided it needed to be
deleted. Read the Terms of Service to find out exactly what will get you moderated.
- Why was my account suspended/banned?
Because you violated the TOS in a very big way. Read the Terms of Service to find out exactly what
will get you moderated, which in turn will get you banned.
- What will get me banned from the boards instantly?
- Sexually explicit messages
- Bypassing the censor program by misspelling or inserting symbols into a banned word.
- Anything offensive to people of a particular gender/race/religion/ethnicity/color/creed/sexual preference/etc.
- Calling anyone or anything "gay" or anything similar. Using sexual preference as an insult is simply not tolerated here. Period.
- Asking for any pirated software (ROMs or Warez) or providing links to it.
- Make Money Fast/Pyramid Scheme/Get Paid for Surfing The Web messages or any commercial advertising.
- Multiple minor violations of the TOS.
- How do I delete my own message/topic?
Click the "Delete" link just above your post. You can completely remove a topic or your own message
if nobody's posted after you. Otherwise, you will only "mark" your message deleted.
Usernames and Priviliges
- What are the privilege levels?
User has been banned from posting messages for one or more Terms of Service violations.
User has not yet activated their account with the activation key mailed to them. Will be deleted from the system after 48 hours if not activated.
User's posting privileges have been suspended for one or more Terms of Service violations, pending review by a level 9 or higher moderator.
User created account using a freemail or AOL e-mail address. User cannot create topics, but can post up to three messages per hour. User will be upgraded to level 4 after 48 hours.
User on "parole" for one or more minor Terms of Service violations. User cannot create topics, but can post three messages an hour. User will be restored to level 5 at the discretion of Level 9 or higher moderator.
4: New User
User is new to the GameFAQs boards. User cannot mark messages for moderation, and can only post three messages an hour. Will be upgraded to Level 5 after 96 hours, 48 hours if formerly Level 2.
5: Regular User
Standard user level, access to all message board features.
6: Long-Time User
Granted to users of the boards over 30 days with no major TOS violations and at least 15 posts currently on the boards. No special privileges are gained at this level - it is merely a "decorative" notation.
7: Favored User
Granted to users of the boards over 60 days with no major TOS violations and at least 15 posts currently on the boards. No special privileges are gained at this level - it is merely a "decorative" notation.
User can delete messages marked for moderation and suspend offending users.
User can delete and restore messages, as well as ban and un-suspend users.
Owns the site. Can do whatever he pleases.
- How can I become a moderator?
- Why not? I really really really wanna be a moderator!
No applications for moderator are being accepted at this time. When the time comes to add new moderators,
it will be announced on the the Current Events board. Asking to become a moderator outside of that time
guarantees that you will not be one.
- Can I have two different usernames?
Yes, but you will need to use a different e-mail address to sign up with. You can switch between the
two by clicking the "Log Out" link on the message or topic list pages and then logging back in as the
- How can I change or delete my current username?
You can't. Nobody can. Usernames can only be created.
People and Personalities
- Who is CJayC?
Jeff "CJayC" Veasey owns and operates GameFAQs.
- Who are the moderators?
The current moderators are:
Faye Valentine X,
- How can I become a moderator?
You can't. Stop asking.
- What is a good way to get popular?
- Post intelligent messages
- Be either very nice or very knowledgable.
- Follow the Terms of Service
- What is a good way to get very unpopular?
- Whine about your privilege level
- Ask to be a moderator
- Violate the Terms of Service
- Be neither nice nor intelligent
- Post "Hey CJayC, Read This" in your topic titles
- I got an error message. What do I do?
Let CJayC know at the Standard Feedback Address. Please
try to cut and past the error message, as well as which page you encountered it on and exactly what
you were doing at the time. If you get a "Null not allowed" message between midnight and 1AM Central
time, just ignore it and refresh the page, as you just got caught up in the daily purge schedule.
- What kind of message boards are these?
They're custom written for the site by CJayC.
- Can I use your message boards on my site?
Probably not, unless you've got a very expensive server with a very large ADO/ODBC-compliant database
backend and you're running Windows NT as your web server. If you happen to meet all these criteria,
and you really want to use these boards, let me know, and we'll talk shop then.
Copyright 1995-2000 GameFAQs
Feel free to link to this page, but not directly to the FAQs.
Why not? Read this!