Re: A new default look for Squeak, revisited

Oops, this got stuck in my outbox:

Thanks all,

I will put together a package in the next few days.

Tim Rowledge wrote:

> possibly a bit less of the translucency, hmm?

The problem is that sometimes you're over a light background, sometimes a
dark one, and one translucency factor is not good for both. (It is easier to
get a good result with white, as in the menus.) It would take a
contrast-reducing blt mode to solve that; or, as Apple has done, a striped
background with two levels of translucency; or as in Explorer 5 (Mac), a
"blur" filter (when the URL field pops down suggested matches for what you
type). I like the last, but BitBlt can't do that (it would require JITBlt,
and what a great demo of it that it would be! In fact, when I think of it, I
want that _now_! Imagine the cool popup windows.).

Dwight Hughes wrote:

> How about making the
> whole scrollbar translucent? That way it could be brought inboard
> without actually obscuring text or requiring a footprint in the pane --
> indeed it would be "there but not there"

Interesting idea, but someone has to come up with a scheme for when it
should appear and be active/responsive, and when not to--if you mean that it
should be shown within the text pane itself, as I assume. I've always
thought that the 'panning' hand tool (from eg. Photoshop) might possibly
completely replace scrollbars.

> make use of
> different colors in the window title bars for different types of windows

My version before this one did that, but the problem was that this really
needs fully saturated colors. If you tone them down, you get red->pink,
green->yucky pistage green, etc. In all, I opted for "less".

An unrelated problem is that corner rounding doesn't work well with beveling
and/or translucency. I haven't been smart enough to solve that quickly.

Henrik