Re: Should I update to Squeak 2.8 alpha???

Hi John,

On Sun, 30 Apr 2000 00:26:26 +0500 jchludzinski@grci.com wrote:
>I'm currently having a lot of trouble with 2.7 failing (e.g. I try to accept
>a new method only to have the debug window pop up; when I try to dismiss it,
>it returns - again & again & again ...; semaphore logic that works fine on
>VW locks up on 2.7, etc. etc. etc.).

It might help if you told us what "the debug window" was saying. Maybe it is a reason to update to 2.8, maybe it's something that's broken in 2.8 as well or maybe it's your code that's causing you grief.

Does this by any chance involve your attempts to alter the definition of Semaphore or to subclass it?

>I don't know if updating to 2.8alpha would help but it can't hurt. If so, how
>do I do this using EToySystem?

In a workspace in your 2.7 image, evaluate:

	EToySystem eToyVersion: 'Squeak2.8alpha' date:  Date today.

then from the world menu select help/update code from server. As Doug has just pointed out, this can be a very slow going from 2.7 all the way into 2.8. You can take his suggestion and download a clean 2.8 or you can apply my changes (recently posted) to smooth the process.

>---John
>
>PS. Squeak should allow subclassing of ANY class (like VW & VA) such as
>Semaphore.

Well, "should" is one of those easy-to-say-but-sometimes-hard-to-do things. I suggested a solution to your previous Semaphore dilemma. Is this the same problem or a new one?

Cheers,
Bob