[Table of Contents] [Search]

Pinckney reunion

Copy of latest version being sent to Margot and Sue.
Mum.

Dear Margot and Sue,
This is the second version of our speech.  It may not
have any more alterations, as everyones' inspiration has
dried up! .
We are still working on the 3 minute something for the
church service. I will let you have it as soon as
possible.
Best wishes, Margaret.

'Variations on "IF" by Rudyard Kipling' by members of the
Tripp branch of the Pinckney Family.
The poem 'If' hung on the wall at Nithdate and also,
according to Dick, in the hall at Glenaray.  It hung
there for years and was a very loved poem by both Myra
and Charles, who were both fond of reciting poetry.  The
decision was made to adapt 'If' as our contribution for
the dinner speech. I have tried to involve as many
members of the Tripp branch as possible either by helping
to contribute a verse or by reading these verses.

[Off stage instructions only - The first verses will be
read by Robert and Steve alternately, then Dick will
finish up with the Best bits - to leave a good
impression!!  Do not print this please]

Introductory verse

If only we could think up witty rhymes,
Something future, present or past would do,
If only we could search the library shelves
for pieces out of copyright for you,
If only arising inspiration
Would help the coming rhymes to really scan,
Then we all would be appreciated
as only up and coming rhymsters can.

General

If you can keep your land for generations
While those about you fall for passing whims,
And don't let rabbits up all the rations
But get the best of markets for your gin.
If you can have a night on Hokonui
With perhaps the one-off tot of Kath's Sloe gin
Be up at 5 am for early muster and still
Get all those stubborn sheep and cattle in

If you can keep your cool when those around you
Are losing theirs through cursing MMP,
If you can keep your land safe in your hands
While Ngai Tahu gain their property,
If you can stay healthy, sane and stress-less
With mean R H A and penniless CHE,
Then you can say to all your sons and daughters
In troubled times I tried my best, you see.

Nithdale

If you can ride a horse which refuses
To leave its stable except at a walk,
If you can trot in a decent way
Rising light in the air like a cork,
If you can stay in the saddle while
The horse galops home a minute a mile,
Then all Granny,s training was not in vain,
And you have passed the horse riding trial.

If Granny calls me david and then calls me Tim
And then she calls me Andrew with Sarah thrown in,
If you accept that you get called anything
Then say "5 cents" Granny with a cheeky grin.
If you can meet your cousins, and those once removed,
Great aunts, Great uncles, father's cousins too,
Greet them with a smile, handshake and "How do you do"
Then maybe yet you will make a Pinckney true

Dick

(Dedicated to Mother)

If you can keep your cool when all around you
Are organising you against your will,
Imposing rules and manners that confound you,
And yet maintain your sense of humour still;
If you can keep your elbows off the table
Until you reach the age of twenty-one;
If you fancy neat the Hokonui label,
Or gargle at the seaside just for fun:

If you can run your bath the night before,
And break the ice before you take the plunge;
If you can eat an onion in the raw,
And yet decide to not throw in the sponge;
Or bath in "Pinckney Puddle" without cringing,
Which Hope has filled each week with water cold,
Or take cod liver oil without whingeing,
And thumb your nose at doctors, yet grow old:

Or scoff a can of worms to spite your sisters,
Or keep your hams and cheeses till they crawl,
Or put up with raw meat upon your blisters,
Or mind toadstools on your scratches not at all;
If you can make a heap of all your boodle,
And risk it on a Glaxo share or two,
And then just watch it increase while you doodle,
And grow to bless a generation new:

If you can ride from dawn till evening lingers,
And muster on a loaf of bread and cheese,
Or give a piercing whistle through your fingers
To call your dog from half a mile up-breeze;
If you can open oysters by the sackful
When Father's weekly trip to Gore is made,
Or curse your dogs with swear-words by the packful,
Or decapitate wee bunnies with a spade:

If you can give a lead in your community,
And pioneer groups for tasks that are well done,
For building friendships, fostering local unity,
And get a QSM, sincerely won.
If you can fill your days with good activity,
With acts of kindness which you love to do-
Then you are blessed, and honoured in our memory,
And maybe yet you'll make a Pinckney true.

Margaret Tripp,                Phone: (64)(3)4798919
Cataloguing Department,
University Of Otago,
P.O. Box 56,
Dunedin,