Cuban Canasta is played the same as Canasta except for:
- 13 cards are dealt to each player
- The discard pile is always frozen and may may only be taken when a player has two natural matching cards in his hand.
- Canastas can't have more than 7 cards.
- Game is 7500 points. From 5000 points up, intial meld is 150 points.
- A player must discard before going out and a player cannot start a second meld of the smae rank as a previous meld, unless the first one is a canasta.
- One red 3 is worth 100 points; 2, 300 pts; 3, 500 pts; 4, 1000 pts. They count negative if a side doesn't have at least 1 canasta.
- Wild card can be melded as a canasta of wild cards. A canasta of 2's is worth 4000 points; 4 jokers and three 2's are worth 3000 points; and 2000 points for any other combination.
- Black threes may not be discard on the first round. Any black threes in the pack when they are taken are discarded out of play, counting 5 each for the side that took them. All four black threes are worth 100 points.