Joker Canasta is played the same as regular Canasta except for:
- Each player receives 13 cards.
- Discard pile is alway frozen and can only be taken by a natural pair from the hand.
- Game is to 8500 points. Initial meld: Under 3000 it is 100 points; 3000-4995, 130 points; 5000 or more it is 150 points.
- Wild cards can be melded as canastas. Seven 2's are worth 4000 points; 4 Jokers and 3 twos are worth 3000 points; any other combination is worth 2000 points.
- Black threes are just like red but scored separately. The first 3 in a color is worth 100 points; 2nd three, 300 points; 3rd 3, 500 points; 4th 3 1000 points. If a side fails to make one canasta when the hand is over, the three's count against them.
- Partnerships needs 2 canastas before going out, and canastas cannot contain more than 7 cards.