The Rigter Archive

BEAM Heretics: The Rigter Archive
So far I've collected 33 items. A few don't have Mr. Rigter's copyright on them, but the drafting style is sufficiently unique that I presume that they are his -- if they aren't, I'll move/credit them appropriately. If, in your opinion, this section takes too long to load, please email me at heretics@serve.com and perhaps we can figure out how to chunk things. Also, please point out any items that are missing so that I can search my CDROMs for them.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Tuesday, December 21, 1999 - 01:41 am:

RigterPic
A picture of the clever fellow himself.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Tuesday, December 21, 1999 - 01:57 am:

245REV
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 19:25:47 -0700
Subject: Re: LEM videos now on-line.
Richard Piotter wrote:

Personaly, I wanted to enter, but I havn't ordered parts in the longest time!!! Sucks! also, is there a good 245 based reverser circuit??? If so, then maybe I can build hexapod before the robotics meeting next Thursday at St. Paul MN.

-----------------------------------------------------
Here you go Richard

I designed this one specially for you. So no more excuses for not finishing Hexapod!

The G input disables all outputs when the PNC is active high. The D input affects only the M1 outputs by reversing the connections between Nv1 and Nv3. A 74AC245 can drive small motors (ie BG Micro Lens motor) directly but a 74HC/HCT245 will require h-bridges where the M1/M2 motors are shown. At +V=5V, the total supply current increases by 1mA.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Tuesday, December 21, 1999 - 01:57 am:

3M3D
Subject: RE: bicore or microcore?
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 1999 09:18:58 -0800
Just to make matters even more complicated, there are many networks that will produce such bi-directional pulses suitable for driving motors. The attached circuit is sort of unique although it may look familiar. It can control 3 motors with 3 delays. It uses all non-inverting elements, in this case a 74HC245 or better yet a 74AC245. The novel oscillator outputs are in phase but the high/low duty cycle can be independently adjusted with the two 10M resistors! The delay stages are "monocores", similar to slave bicores but requiring only half the number of parts. The switching is clean and free of oscillations. The 1M resistors are used for the delay and the 2M resistors set the ON time. Anyway the top waveforms show how the pulses propagate and the bottom three waveforms show the voltage across the motors for the connections shown. When I have some time I will draw out a MS bicore network. The "ganged" slaves are probably what is used in Tilden's lamprey circuits.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Tuesday, December 21, 1999 - 01:58 am:

4NVMPNC
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 1999 11:45:17 -0700
Subject: MPNC was AUTOMATIC PNC
Hello group,

Nudged by Bruce Robinson,

>But, umm, tell me. How would your circuit look
>for a 6-Nv microcore? <nudge, nudge>.

here is an short article describing an improved PNC circuit with examples for 4 and 6 Nv cores. Also included is an introduction to MPIC pulse injection controlled gait changes. The latter is an untested experimental design and there is much detail to be worked out. Feel free to build it and report back to BEAM land.

enjoy

wilf

-----------------------------------

MPNC Nvcores - a logical solution for saturation problems
using the multiple pulse neutralizing circuit
wilf rigter - 07/99

In a conventional microcore design the dreaded twin process saturation problem is addressed with a Nu based pulse neutralizing circuit (PNC) which absorbs all circulating processes and when it times out initiates a single process in the microcore. Since the PNC forces one Nv output active low any motor connected to that Nv would be rotating possibly mangling a pair of legs in the process. This is normally avoided by disabling the output drivers during the time the PNC is active.

Despite the PNC's longevity in BEAM land, all things must change as old PNC based ucore designs are superseded by a new generation of Nv core designs which include a "multiple process neutralizing circuit" (MPNC). Unlike the PNC base ucore circuits, this new design instantly initializes the Nvcore and does not require any motor driver inhibit. After power up, the MPNC constantly monitors for and neutralizes multiple processes in the core. Since the MPNC does not require an Nu inverter, a single 74HC14 can be used for a 6Nv core.

The MPNC design is added to a Nvcore with simple diode logic requiring only 2 diodes for a 4Nv ucore and 4 diodes for a 6Nv hexcore.

THE 4NvMPNC

A 4Nv microcore uses 2 diodes to snuff out core saturation by neutralizing multiple (twin) processes with the anodes of the diodes connected to N1 and Nv2 outputs and the cathodes to Nv3 and Nv4 bias points respectively. 4NvMPNC.GIF shows the schematic for a MPNC ucore complete with a 74AC240 reverser circuit. The MPNC logic is simple: with two possible saturation states (NV1 AND Nv3 active or Nv2 AND Nv4 active), the 1Nv output is active low and this level connected through the diode to the Nv3 bias point forces the Nv3 output high, neutralizing the saturation process. Similarly the Nv2 output neutralizes any potential saturation process in Nv4.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Tuesday, December 21, 1999 - 01:59 am:

6NVMPIC
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 1999 11:45:17 -0700
Subject: MPNC was AUTOMATIC PNC (continued)

THE 6NvMPIC

As an introduction to the more advanced concept of the Multiple Process Injection Circuit (MPIC) for gait control, I have included 6NVMPIC, a draft schematic which shows how one can inject (and regenerate) an arbitary number of processes in a 6 Nvcore. The MPIC includes the same function as the MPNC since it must be able to inject as well as neutralize in order to control processes. It is possible to add the MPIC to a conventional PNC design to initiate the gait at power up. The MPIC control lines can be connected to a number of sources including DIP switch, "Collision Nu", "Turning Nu" etc but also (via a simple infrared or radio link) to an IBM PC printer port or onboard STAMP or PIC I/O line. The example shows a single process default HexCore with 20 second duration Nu controlled process injection circuits.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Tuesday, December 21, 1999 - 02:00 am:

allbridge
Subject: LATCHINGPOWERBIMOSBICOREBRIDGESJUSTCAN'TSTOPPPPPPP.....
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 01:25:34 -070
Hello Beamers,

Here's my little foray into bridge circuits : the first one is smokeless and suitable for micorcores, the middle bridge demonstrates the latching action which the runs a motor back and forth with rotation reversed by the momentary closure of limit switches (a NoCore walker?) and the last one actually acts like a Power Bicore. All are good for about 200 ma but the power bicore may oscillate with some motors (BG micro and Mac ejectors motors work fine). All great fun and maybe a peek into Pandora's box in case you thought a bridge was a bridge and nothing but a bridge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Tuesday, December 21, 1999 - 02:00 am:

ANIMLCD

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Tuesday, December 21, 1999 - 02:01 am:

batt_powersmart_head

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Tuesday, December 21, 1999 - 02:02 am:

bcpump

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Tuesday, December 21, 1999 - 02:03 am:

BEAMFX

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Tuesday, December 21, 1999 - 02:03 am:

BINVERTER

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Tuesday, December 21, 1999 - 02:04 am:

CHIRP

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Tuesday, December 21, 1999 - 02:05 am:

CMOSPUMP

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Tuesday, December 21, 1999 - 02:05 am:

D2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Tuesday, December 21, 1999 - 09:07 pm:

earlyservo1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Tuesday, December 21, 1999 - 09:13 pm:

earlyservo2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Tuesday, December 21, 1999 - 09:14 pm:

efield

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Tuesday, December 21, 1999 - 09:23 pm:

FLASH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Tuesday, December 21, 1999 - 09:24 pm:

hservo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Tuesday, December 21, 1999 - 10:16 pm:

HYSE

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Tuesday, December 21, 1999 - 10:18 pm:

LSuCORE

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Tuesday, December 21, 1999 - 10:18 pm:

Monohead

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Tuesday, December 21, 1999 - 10:19 pm:

pcse

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Tuesday, December 21, 1999 - 10:20 pm:

photowalker

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Tuesday, December 21, 1999 - 10:22 pm:

PSHEAD3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Tuesday, December 21, 1999 - 10:23 pm:

quasi_ucore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Tuesday, December 21, 1999 - 10:24 pm:

REVSE

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Tuesday, December 21, 1999 - 10:25 pm:

SM_HEAD2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Tuesday, December 21, 1999 - 10:26 pm:

uCrawlerfront

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Tuesday, December 21, 1999 - 10:27 pm:

uCrawlerlayout

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Tuesday, December 21, 1999 - 10:29 pm:

uCrawlerschem
With the exception of some additional text, this seems to be identical to the item above the layout.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Tuesday, December 21, 1999 - 10:30 pm:

uCrawlerside

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Saturday, January 22, 2000 - 11:25 pm:

monocore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Wednesday, March 8, 2000 - 11:11 pm:

photovor

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Justin Fisher on Sunday, March 12, 2000 - 09:00 pm:

I realise this is a bit late, but Wilf usually posts explanations, notes, suggestions etc. with his circuits.
Many of the circuits have esoteric purposes that are not easy to guess from looking at the disagram.
This archive would be made richer by including (or including a link to) this extra info when adding circuits.
When I have some time, I might try and track down some of the material for circuits already posted and add it here, but it would be nice for new circuits to be posted with the info Wilf included on them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By chadevans on Friday, April 28, 2000 - 06:43 am:

if anyone could email me at cevans@sprint.ca with any schematics of the "master slave Monocore" circuit designed by Wilf Rigter that uses the 74HC240 chip it would be appriciated
Chad

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"