The SA-1110/SA-1111 development platform is designed for fast time-to-market development of handheld, palm-size devices, wireless and tethered Internet appliances. Target applications include smart/3G multimedia phones, PC companions, palm-size devices, internet tablets, vertical application devices, global positioning systems (GPS), handheld game consoles and digital audio products.
The development platform is a modular and flexible multiple board set that includes the SA-1110 development board, an optional SA-1111 companion chip development module in the form of a daughter card, and an optional third-party graphics development board.
The SA-1110 development board may be used as a standalone reference design for a palm-size device. It supports from 32 to 64 MB of 100 MHz SDRAM memory and features 32 MB of page-mode Intel StrataFlash memory, a 3.9-inch low-power color reflective LCD and touch screen, NTSC/PAL video out, IrDA up to 4 MB/sec and support for cell phone modules and a full JTAG debug port. Device interfaces are easily implemented via programmable complex programmable logic devices (CPLDs) on the board.
Applications for the multiple-board SA-1110 development platform include docking MP3 stereo audio record and playback, MP4 video streaming and playback, handwriting recognition, speech recognition/text-to-speech, Web browsing, VoIP with voice-dialing and speakerphone, TV receiver applications, and many others. System packaging of the SA-1110 development board supports the easy integration of LCD, touch screen, batteries, and an optional front light. The board supports two 140-pin fully buffered expansion (Xbus) headers for the SA-1111 development module and graphics accelerator daughter boards.
The SA-1110 development board and the SA-1111 development module are available from Intel as components of development kits.
Flexible, Scalable Flash Memory Support
The SA-1110 development board features 64 Mb or 128 Mb socketed fast-page mode 3V Intel StrataFlash memory, in 16 MB or 32 MB flash banks. The SA-1110 development board also supports one Type II Compact Flash (CF) socket, when no daughter boards are present. CF devices can support an Ethernet interface, high-speed modem, wireless 2-way paging and micro disk drives up to 340 MB.
The SA-1110 development board supports a robust software
- Real-time operating systems include Nucleus+*, WindowsCE*, OS-9*, ThreadX*, �COS*, pSOS*, C Executive*, AMX*, Linux*, QNX/Kernel*, QNX/Neutrino*, EPOC*, Supertask!*, VXWorks*, JavaOS*, RTXC*, and OSE*.
- Software tools are available from ARM*, Cygnus, Green Hills, ISI, Metaware, Microsoft, Microware, Wind River, and others.
CPLDs for Fast Time-to-Market Designs
The CPLDs can be programmed to provide a variety of hardware functions and are pre-programmed to support sample designs. The in-circuit programmability of the CPLDs enables programming at run-time to support a variety of hardware needs, enabling system developers to tailor the design to their specific application. The ability to quickly port a new hardware application to an existing well-supported platform allows rapid deployment of software development platforms for end-user applications.
Optional SA-1111 Development Module
The optional SA-1111 companion chip development module adds these features:
- Up to 64 MB of expansion SDRAM
- Up to 32 MB of expansion flash memory
- Philips* UDA1341 or AC97 codec
- 10 Base-T Ethernet controller
- USB host port
- 1 PCMCIA and 1 Compact Flash socket
- Matrix keyboard controller
- 5 x 4 keypad for phone or diagnostics
- 2 Comm port connectors
- 2 PS2 ports
- Logic analyzer headers
- 32-bit LED display
SA-1110 Development Platform Third-Party Graphics Accelerators
The SA-1110 Development Board supports the MediaQ* MQ-200 LCD/CRT Graphics Display System. This accelerator supports the following features:
- 2 MB of embedded DRAM
- 128-bit graphics engine
- Display resolutions:
- 800 x 600 32-bpp for single/dual-scan display
(CRT, TFT, S-STN, DSTN)
- 1024 x 768 16-bpp for single/dual-scan display
(CRT, TFT, S-STN, DSTN)
- 1280 x 1024 8 bpp for CRT display
- Simultaneous and dual-image views on LCD and CRT
- 2D Graphics Acceleration Engine with drivers for Windows powered* systems
- Dual 64 x 64 hardware cursors
The SA-1110 can also be used with Epson�s SED 1356 and ITE�s 8182 graphics controllers. For more information please contact them directly.
SA-1110 Development Board
The SA-1110 Development Board is a standalone reference design shipped with the following items:
- Sharp 3.9" LCD
- Touch screen
- 2 Electret mics
- Mini speaker
- Stereo headset
- Telephone headset
- Ethernet CF card
- 6-volt 2.5-amp universal input brick
- Battery pack assembly
- Cables assembly hardware
- CD-ROM with drivers, software applications, app notes and documentation
- CD-ROM with 60-day trial ARM software development kit
SA-1111 Development Module
The optional SA-1111 Multimedia Development Module is shipped with the following items:
- Matrix keyboard and cable
- 4x5 Keypad and cable
- PCMCIA-to-CF adapter
- PS/2 mouse
- USB mouse
- PS/2 keyboard
- PS/2 splitter cable
- RS232 sync cable
- Serial 10 to 9 pin adapter cable
- CPLD (JTAG) programming cable
SA-1110/1111 Development Kit
This kit contains both the SA-1110 Development Board and the SA-1111 Development Module.
SA-1110/1111 Development Board Block Diagram
To order now
Contact an authorized Intel distributor for complete ordering details.
- To order the SA-1110 / SA-1111 Development Kit, specify part number SA111XDEVKIT 825204
- To order the SA-1110 Development Board, specify part number SA1110DEVBD 825202
- To order the SA-1111 Development Module, specify part number SA1111DEVMOD 825203
Download this product brief
To download a printable version of this product brief, click on the following link.