Grey Labyrinth Home Recent Puzzles Puzzle Archives Links to Related Sites About The Grey Labyrinth Discussion Forums AIM Chat Room

Please visit our sponsors

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
  Grey Labyrinth Discussion Forums
  Visitor Games
  Newbie mafia 2 - The Game (Page 1)

profile | register | preferences | faq

This topic is 9 pages long:   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Newbie mafia 2 - The Game
Dragon Phoenix
Ariadnean Moderator
posted 07-18-2001 06:42 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Dragon Phoenix   Click Here to Email Dragon Phoenix     Edit/Delete Message
Welcome to the peaceful community of Easyville, Arizona. But do not get fooled by the apparent peace. Rumor had it that the infamous Tortellini family had managed to infiltrate the town. Any moment now they can make their presence known in a very painful and lethal way.

And indeed, this morning the town's citizens find the body of one of them at the town square. It is Smarty. On his back a note: you were too slow... arrivederci signore!

The cops of the town can start thinking about their strategy for the coming night. But meanwhile, the townsfolk are keen to revenge Smarty...

The rules of the game:

1. There are four Tortellini's, who know eachother and discuss only during the game's nights by E-mail to select a victim. They announce the victim to me by E-mail.
2. There are two cops who do not know eachother. They investigate one townsfolk per night by sending me an E-mail with the name of their choice. I will tell them whether they have found a mafia or not. How they use that information is to their discretion. Blurting it out means certain death by mafia in the next night....
3. In the game's mornings, I announce the events of the night. During the game's days, the townsfolk select a victim for a lynching by voting in this thread, with or without stating reasons. The first one to get the majority of votes dies. I can decide to set a time limit (at least 24 h in advance) on the voting to speed up the game.
4. Under no circumstances are you allowed to reveal your role in this game outside this thread to other players, not in other parts of the GL, not in chat and not in real life.
5. You are not allowed to show E-mails stating your role either.
6. When you are dead, you are dead!! Under no circumstance can you post relevant information after you die, whether it is by lynching or by mafia . This may be the most important rule of all. It is OK to say something like Ouch, or Bugger, or Go town!, but leave it at that. This holds for the cops as well!
7. If you can no longer play, let me know and I will try to get a replacement for you. Do not commit suicide in the thread.
8. If anything is unclear, E-mail me please.

The living:

Greg
Loki
VinnyQ

The dead:

Purgation (town, lynched)
Silverwolfe (town, killed by mafia)
Felonix (mafia, lynched)
Sifu (cop, killed by mafia)
Sweetwater (mafia, lynched)
Loopydog/Chienfou (town, killed by mafia)
Lube999 (mafia, lynched)
Ferris (town, killed by mafia)
The Master/Death mage (town, lynched)
Fezzik (cop, killed by mafia)
Zesty Spanker (town, lynched)
Coyote/Galin15 (town, killed by mafia)
Avczilla (town, lynched)
Wordcross (town, killed by mafia)
------------------
Luna sees me as flying orange-brown and orange-yellow, dark but with stars in the background.......

[This message has been edited by Dragon Phoenix (edited 08-18-2001).]

IP: Logged

Purgation
Daedalian Member
posted 07-18-2001 08:00 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Purgation     Edit/Delete Message
I vote for LoopyDog since.... he is not a real newbie. woot.

Felonix
Daedalian Member
posted 07-18-2001 09:44 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Felonix   Click Here to Email Felonix     Edit/Delete Message
I think only the Mafia would be willing to throw someone out in the wind like that to lynch right away. Just doesn't sounds like the way a proper law abiding citizen would act, therefore I

Vote: Purgation

Death Mage
Daedalian Member
posted 07-18-2001 12:06 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Death Mage   Click Here to Email Death Mage     Edit/Delete Message
Well.. why not? It worked last time.

------------------
* These senseless ramblings brought to you by Insanity™. If you just can't figure the dang thing out, it must be Insanity™.
* -.. --- / -. --- - / .-. . .- -.. / - .... .. ... .-.-.-
* Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
* Boogity-boogity
* Confused? You won't be after this episode of Soap!
* Save the Sand!

Loki
Daedalian Member
posted 07-18-2001 12:55 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Loki   Click Here to Email Loki     Edit/Delete Message
Are lynchings usually done first? Doesn't give you much to go on...

VinnyQ
Daedalian Member
posted 07-18-2001 03:53 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for VinnyQ   Click Here to Email VinnyQ     Edit/Delete Message
Yeah, from what I read from the previous maf threads, the first lynching is usually just to start the game off. They rarely get the maf in the first lynch. It's after the first night that people can go back and see if there is any suspicous behaviors.

I am going to hold of on voting for now, till we get a few more posts.

Ferris
Daedalian Member
posted 07-18-2001 05:01 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Ferris     Edit/Delete Message
I agree it'd be lucky if we got a Tortellini at the first go. Having followed a few of the games, it seems the better ones are those with lots of discussion and opportunity for people to make defenses - and then hopefully give themselves away as Mafia. What we don't need is lots of non-posters and bandwagons.

With that in mind, we need everyone to speak. I'm going to randomly:-

Vote: Avczilla

until such time as we get a reply. Then I'll be happy to review it.

SilverWolfe
Daedalian Member
posted 07-18-2001 05:04 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for SilverWolfe   Click Here to Email SilverWolfe     Edit/Delete Message
posts to prevent being classified a non-poster

VinnyQ
Daedalian Member
posted 07-18-2001 05:13 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for VinnyQ   Click Here to Email VinnyQ     Edit/Delete Message
Vote: SilverWolf semi-random

Loki
Daedalian Member
posted 07-18-2001 06:08 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Loki   Click Here to Email Loki     Edit/Delete Message
Vote: sweetwater

Just to try to get sweetwater to talk.

SilverWolfe
Daedalian Member
posted 07-18-2001 06:23 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for SilverWolfe   Click Here to Email SilverWolfe     Edit/Delete Message
Vote: VinnyQ .... for voting me...

jesternl
Daedalian Member
posted 07-18-2001 06:41 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for jesternl   Click Here to Email jesternl     Edit/Delete Message
So far, Smarty, a non-playing member has been killed to mark the beginning, so yes, it's the town's turn to start lynching people, try not to take out the cop in the first round, contrary to good maf tradition

(You don't mind me butting in and help a little on the rules, do you DP?)

------------------
GRTZ,
Jester
www.geocities.com/jesternl/antibill.html

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist"
'Verbal' Kint

Felonix
Daedalian Member
posted 07-18-2001 07:11 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Felonix   Click Here to Email Felonix     Edit/Delete Message
Vinny, why did you vote for SilverWolfe saying it was semi-random? Are you mafia trying to pop someone you know is trouble, or are you a cop trying to pop a mafia? Or was it an inside joke that the rest of us missed?

One of the other things I have noticed from the other mafia games is that discussion is good, but it usually took a bandwagon to get that person to finally speak up in their own defense. If everyone just votes for someone else, we won't end up lynching anyone, and then the mafia can just pick us off one by one.

Death Mage
Daedalian Member
posted 07-18-2001 07:19 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Death Mage   Click Here to Email Death Mage     Edit/Delete Message
I think we should vote the first voter, just in case.

The "semi-random" comment seems to refrence directly above it. Come on, think outside the box once in a while.

------------------
* These senseless ramblings brought to you by Insanity™. If you just can't figure the dang thing out, it must be Insanity™.
* -.. --- / -. --- - / .-. . .- -.. / - .... .. ... .-.-.-
* Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
* Boogity-boogity
* Confused? You won't be after this episode of Soap!
* Save the Sand!

Loki
Daedalian Member
posted 07-18-2001 07:23 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Loki   Click Here to Email Loki     Edit/Delete Message
Whoah, so if there's no 50%+ majority, then there's no lynch at all?

I just assumed it was whoever had the most votes...

VinnyQ
Daedalian Member
posted 07-18-2001 08:02 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for VinnyQ   Click Here to Email VinnyQ     Edit/Delete Message
Felonix, Death Mage is correct, the semi-random comment was referring to the post he did about trying not to be a non-poster, but now that I think of it, it's prbly not a good basis of suspision. I will keep my vote on Wolf for now, since I still haven't a clue who is EVIL SCUM.

"here doggie doggie, are you evil scum? bark once for yes, twice for no..." *present wolf with a bone*

Zesty Spanker
Daedalian Member
posted 07-18-2001 08:09 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Zesty Spanker     Edit/Delete Message
as it is early in game i have no thing other than my thoughts to go on. so i look at list and decide that Avczilla is a harsh name so he must be mafia so i vote him.
so i vote AVCZILLA.
sorry

------------------
Zesty = Spirited
Spanker = Fast Horse

thats sorted that out then!

Dragon Phoenix
Ariadnean Moderator
posted 07-18-2001 08:09 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Dragon Phoenix   Click Here to Email Dragon Phoenix     Edit/Delete Message
The one with the majority of votes gets lynched. For this round, that is 9 votes. If you do not come to a majority in a reasonable time, I will announce a time limit on the voting. At the point of the time limit, I will lynch the one with the most votes. In case of a tie, I will lynch the one who got to that number of votes first.

I will be happy to clarify things along the way - and others can join in as well in the clarifications. Thanks Jesternl.

Oh, and one more thing that most of you have already picked up, please mark your votes in bold so I can easily track them. If you don't know how to make words bold, just put {b} in front of them and {/b} in back, but then with [] instead of {}.

From time to time I will give a voting update, but at the moment that seams a bit superfluous.

SilverWolfe
Daedalian Member
posted 07-18-2001 09:30 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for SilverWolfe   Click Here to Email SilverWolfe     Edit/Delete Message
content that VinnyQ couldn't be evil AND still give out such nice juicy bones...

Unvote: VinnyQ

I'll follow DeathMage's logic for now, or like others say, we'll get picked off for lack of lynching.

pipe up purgation, let's get a discussion going so somebody will slip up and we can hang 'em

Avczilla
Daedalian Member
posted 07-18-2001 09:47 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Avczilla   Click Here to Email Avczilla     Edit/Delete Message
Avczilla is a harsh name?! It's godzilla with my initials replacing the 'god'! bah! and the other person who voted for me supposedbly randomly! i bet you just looked at the list and i was first! bah @ you too.

Now if Purgation was mafia, do you think he would really go and bring attention to himself like that? Maybe since this is his first game he wouldn't know better, but c'mon, how dumb would a maf be?

Im going to wait for more people to vote before I do.

LoopyDog
Daedalian Member
posted 07-18-2001 09:56 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for LoopyDog   Click Here to Email LoopyDog     Edit/Delete Message
Rolls 20 sided Dice. Another 19!. Decides to wait a bit before casting the bones again. Non-Voting LoopyDog at the moment. (I'll play as LoopyDog in this one DP, akthough most GLers know me as ChienFou, ok)

------------------
LoopyDog is ChienFou - I want my French poodle back

SilverWolfe
Daedalian Member
posted 07-18-2001 11:23 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for SilverWolfe   Click Here to Email SilverWolfe     Edit/Delete Message
who's ChienFou?

Ferris
Daedalian Member
posted 07-18-2001 11:46 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Ferris     Edit/Delete Message
Absolutely right, Avczilla, I started at the top of the list. Lazy, I know.

*accepts "Bah!"*

So now you're posting, and there's seven others who've not spoken up yet, I'll promptly:-

Unvote: Avczilla

and:-

Vote: Sweetwater

Sifu
Icarian Member
posted 07-18-2001 11:57 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Sifu   Click Here to Email Sifu     Edit/Delete Message
Well. I reckon the mafia must be the real newbies that are playing, Well i am going to vote for ZESTY SPANKER

Seems like a trickster to me.. Jump on my bandwagon VOTE: ZESTY SPANKER

How do you bold yoour writing

wordcross
Daedalian Member
posted 07-19-2001 12:45 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for wordcross   Click Here to Email wordcross     Edit/Delete Message
Well, there are some quiet people, and some people who have not been mentioned whatsoever (like me). Just to stir things up (hopefully):

I VOTE:FEZZIK

[This message has been edited by wordcross (edited 07-19-2001).]

Galin15
Icarian Member
posted 07-19-2001 12:56 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Galin15   Click Here to Email Galin15     Edit/Delete Message
Since this is my first game, I guess I'll go with the group and

{b} Vote: Purgation {/b}

wordcross
Daedalian Member
posted 07-19-2001 12:58 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for wordcross   Click Here to Email wordcross     Edit/Delete Message
Galin, in order to bold, you have to use square brackets [ ], not the ones like these {}.

sweetwater
Daedalian Member
posted 07-19-2001 02:10 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for sweetwater   Click Here to Email sweetwater     Edit/Delete Message

Purgation
Daedalian Member
posted 07-19-2001 02:25 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Purgation     Edit/Delete Message
I stoop before the godly abilities of those who managed to infer elaborate hypotheses on my persona from my succinct first post.

Simply amazing.

On a side note: I seem to have left my sarcasm tags back at home.

Ferris
Daedalian Member
posted 07-19-2001 03:45 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Ferris     Edit/Delete Message
I've already got a hypothesis.

Half of the players live on one side of the world and have only just woken up and checked the GL.

Dragon Phoenix
Ariadnean Moderator
posted 07-19-2001 07:00 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Dragon Phoenix   Click Here to Email Dragon Phoenix     Edit/Delete Message
Voting update:

Purgation 5 (Deathmage, Felonix, Galin15, Silverwolfe, Sweetwater)
Sweetwater 2 (Ferris, Loki)
Loopydog 1 (Purgation)
Zesty Spanker 1 (Sifu)
Fezzik 1 (Wordcross)
Silverwolfe 1 (VinnyQ)
Avczilla 1 (Zesty Spanker)

Not voted yet: Avczilla, Fezzik, Greg, Loopydog, Lube999.

Required to lynch: 9 votes

marker

PS: the marker is for my ease to quickly find voting updates...

Fezzik
Daedalian Member
posted 07-19-2001 09:20 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Fezzik   Click Here to Email Fezzik     Edit/Delete Message
Wordcross- I've been busy.
To move the game along:
vote: Purgation

------------------

"Anybody want a peanut?"

[This message has been edited by Fezzik (edited 07-19-2001).]

Avczilla
Daedalian Member
posted 07-19-2001 02:38 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Avczilla   Click Here to Email Avczilla     Edit/Delete Message
C'mon people, do you really think a mafia would go out and make the first post, knowing that he will likly be lynched?!

vote: Sweetwater

SilverWolfe
Daedalian Member
posted 07-19-2001 03:04 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for SilverWolfe   Click Here to Email SilverWolfe     Edit/Delete Message
points out that this is newbie mafia... analyzing people's actions the first round is risky

VinnyQ
Daedalian Member
posted 07-19-2001 04:18 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for VinnyQ   Click Here to Email VinnyQ     Edit/Delete Message
I am agreeing with wolfie, he's a smart doggie after all. I am going to switch my vote to Purgation even tho I am still uncertain on who's who. It's hard to analyze in the first round, especially in a newbie game.

Purgation, if you are maf, good riddence. If not, sorry. Let's see if you can convince me and the others not to lynch you before some of the others vote. And who knows, we might make a matyr out of you, b/c i am sure whatever happen this round will give us a good general direction to weed out those mafia dirtbags by the root in the next.

Unvote: SilverWolfe

Loki
Daedalian Member
posted 07-19-2001 05:02 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Loki   Click Here to Email Loki     Edit/Delete Message
I don't really get voting for someone who is at least posting. It's those totally silent guys that worry me. They are either A) Mafia, or B) no help at all trying to find mafia.

wordcross
Daedalian Member
posted 07-19-2001 08:22 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for wordcross   Click Here to Email wordcross     Edit/Delete Message
Well, well Fezzik, been busy have you? planning your next hit? My vote stands.

LoopyDog
Daedalian Member
posted 07-19-2001 08:37 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for LoopyDog   Click Here to Email LoopyDog     Edit/Delete Message

SilverWolfe
Daedalian Member
posted 07-19-2001 10:19 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for SilverWolfe   Click Here to Email SilverWolfe     Edit/Delete Message
Unvote: Purgation

So he has a chance to make a real defense...

[crosses his fingers]if he's mafia I'll be lynched next round for this probably...[/crosses his fingers]

Felonix
Daedalian Member
posted 07-19-2001 11:18 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Felonix   Click Here to Email Felonix     Edit/Delete Message
I agree, I would like to see some better defense than just "sarcasm". Something feels kind of not right about it, but I don't want to lynch an innocent either. So until a poor defense is made, or we start to run out of time...

Unvote: Purgation

This topic is 9 pages long:   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

All times are ET (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | The Grey Labyrinth