Subscribe to the newsletter for all the latest news and articles. Enter your e-mail address above and click "Subscribe".
Vice-President - William King
Political Party - Dem
First Lady - Jane Appleton
College - Bowdoin College
Occupation - Lawyer
Birthplace - Hillsboro, NH
Buried - Concord, NH
Born: 1800 Died: 1874 Served: 1850 - 1853
Pop Quiz Facts
* 1848: Elected vice president on the Whig ticket with Zachary Taylor.
* 1850: Succeeds to the presidency upon the death of President Taylor on July 9.
* 1852: Fails to secure the Whig nomination. Party nominee Winfield Scott loses election to Franklin Pierce, thus making Fillmore the last Whig president.
* 1856: As the Know-Nothing Party candidate, loses presidential election to James Buchanan.
* Fillmore didn't meet his running mate Zachary Taylor until after they were elected.
* When he moved into the White House it didn't even have a Bible. He and his wife installed the first library.
* Fillmore installed the first bathtub and kitchen stove in the White House.
* Illiterate in Latin, he refused an honorary degree from Oxford University, saying a person shouldn't accept a degree he cannot read.
* The first cartoon depicting Uncle Sam as the symbol of the United States was published during Fillmore's presidency in 1852.