Re: [EMED-L] problem patients and solutions

From: Anderson, Warner (Warner.Anderson@GIMC.IHS.GOV)
Date: Tue Jan 02 2001 - 07:44:02 PST

    Are you the only ED in town? If not, I think you could get a simple
    restraining order from a local magistrate. Explain that you are not trying
    to deny health care, but that he is absorbing scarce resources, etc.

    EMTALA does not require you to accept this kind of abuse. Most states have
    laws against defrauding hospitals.

    Judges are not stupid and know when someone's violating their order with
    specious complaints.

    Your hospital probably has a mechanism through risk management for obtaining
    restraining orders against domestic violence partners of employees and so
    on. This would merely be an extension of that.

    Finally, compassion is nearly always a virtue, but enabling is a different
    issue among the hospital employees who provide food etc. We do this as well,
    but we also send these folks off to five days of detox afterward.