Table of Contents
The list below is not complete and some of the web pages
may not be current; we recommend that you also look at the Free
Software Directory - a categorized, searchable database of free
software, GNU and non-GNU. This directory is actively maintained by
the Free Software Foundation and includes links to program home pages
when they are available.
For information on the licenses used on GNU software, and on other free
software licenses, please see our
Below is a list of most
including GNU Java programs.
We would like to list all GNU programs here, but that will take more
work. If you would like to write descriptions for other GNU programs,
We also maintain:
- lists of both
software that is not part of the GNU Project,
but which we feel are important to mention.
- information about
Year 2000 issues
with GNU software.
- a list, updated daily, of the
of GNU Project software.
If you're looking for a list of GNU projects or other free software related
projects, please look at our projects
If you are interested in contributing to GNU Projects, please have a look at our help-wanted page.
If you want to buy a new computer, you might want to consider one of
these companies who sell computers
with wholly free systems preinstalled.
GNU software is available by several different methods:
- Buy copies on CD-ROM from the
FSF. This helps provide the funds
for the GNU Project.
Our three CD-ROM sets include source code for all GNU software,
GNU compiler tools executable on ten common platforms, and a larger
selection executable on intel-microsoft platforms.
- Get it by FTP. By FTP we provide
source code for all GNU software, free of charge.
(Please also make a donation
to the FSF, if you can, to help us write more free software.)
- Get a copy from a friend.
(Please also make a donation
to the FSF, if you can, to help us maintain free software.)
- Buy a computer with a wholly free GNU/Linux system preinstalled
from one of the companies
that can offer this.
is an Any to Postscript filter.
- adns is a resolver library
for C and C++ programs.
- Autoconf produces shell scripts which automatically configure source code packages.
- Autogen is a tool for
automatically generating arbitrary text files that contain repetitive
text with varying substitutions.
- Automake is a tool for generating Makefile.in files for use with Autoconf.
- GNU Backgammon plays and
analyses backgammon games and matches. It is currently a
- GNU Barcode
is both a library and a program that can encode strings into barcodes.
- Bash, the Bourne Again SHell, is compatible with the Unix `sh' and offers many extensions found in `csh' and `ksh'.
- Bayonne is a
multi-line voice telephony server, with the goal to be the
most flexible and advanced telephony voice messaging server available.
- bc is an interactive algebraic language with arbitrary precision numbers.
- Binutils includes these programs: `addr2line', `ar', `c++filt', `demangle', `gas', `gprof', `ld', `nlmconv', `nm', `objcopy', `objdump', `ranlib', `readelf', `size', `strings', `strip', and 'windres'.
- Bison is an upwardly compatible replacement for the parser generator `yacc'.
- Bool is a utility for
finding files that match a boolean expression.
- Calc is an extensible, advanced desk calculator and mathematical tool that runs as part of GNU Emacs.
- cfengine is used to maintain site-wide configuration of a heterogeneous Unix network using a simple high level language.
- Cgicc is a C++ class library
for writing CGI applications.
- Checker is a package that works with GCC to detect memory use errors in a program.
- Chess is a state-of-the-art chess-playing program.
- GNU Cim is a compiler for the
programming language Simula.
- C Library for use with GNU/Hurd and GNU/Linux.
- CLISP is an implementation
of the ANSI Common Lisp with compiler, interpreter, debugger and more.
- Cobol for GCC is a
project to produce a free COBOL compiler integrated into the GNU Compiler Collection
is a C++ framework offering portable support for threading,
sockets, file access, deamons, persistance, and system services.
- Cons - A Software Construction System (Make Replacement).
- cpio copies file archives to and from disk, or to another part of the local machine.
- cpp2html s a
simple program that, given a source C/C++ file, produces an html
source with syntax highlighting.
- Dap is a statistics and graphics
package based on C.
- DDD is a graphical front-end
for GDB and other command-line debuggers.
- DejaGnu is a framework to test programs with a single front end for all tests.
- Denemo is a graphical music
notation program to be used in conjunction with
- Diction, and Style, check English text for common bad usage and analyze readability. (This package is still in development.)
- Diffutils includes GNU `diff', which compares files showing line-by-line changes in several flexible formats.
- DJGPP includes GCC, G++, and GNU utilities for DOS.
- dld is a dynamic linker which allows the dynamic loading of object files into a running binary.
- doschk is a utility
to ensure that source file names are distinguishable on MS-DOS, FreeDOS and
other DOS systems with 8+3 character filenames, and on System V
platforms with 14-character filenames.
- Dr. Geo is interactive
software that allows the construction of geometric figures.
is a free engine for running Doom worlds.
- ed is the standard text editor. It is line-oriented and can be used interactively or in scripts.
- EDMA is an open and modular development environment similar to the Component Object Model or the System Object Model.
- Electric is a sophisticated electrical CAD system that can handle many forms of circuit design.
- Elib is a small library of Emacs Lisp functions, including routines for using AVL trees and doubly-linked lists.
- Emacs is an extensible, customizable real-time display editor and computing environment. It offers true Lisp--smoothly integrated into the editor--for writing extensions and provides an interface to the X Window System.
- enscript is an upwardly-compatible replacement for the Adobe `enscript' program. It formats ASCII files (outputting in Postscript) and stores generated output to a file or sends it directly to the printer.
- The Fileutils are: `chgrp', `chmod', `chown', `cp', `dd', `df', `dir', `dircolors', `du', `install', `ln', `ls', `mkdir', `mkfifo', `mknod', `mv', `rm', `rmdir', `sync', `touch', and `vdir'.
- Findutils includes `find', which is frequently used both interactively and in shell scripts to find files which match certain criteria and perform arbitrary operations on them. Also included are `locate', which scans a database for file names that match a pattern, and `xargs', which applies a command to a list of files.
- GNU Finger is a utility program designed to allow users of Unix hosts on the Internet network to get information about each other.
- The Fontutils convert between font formats, create fonts for use with Ghostscript or TeX, etc.
- GaMa is a C++ package for adjustment of geodetic networks.
- Gawk is upwardly compatible with the latest POSIX specification of `awk'. It also provides several useful extensions not found in other `awk' implementations.
- gcal is a program for printing calendars. It displays different styled calendar sheets, eternal holiday lists, and fixed date warning lists.
- GCC is a free compiler collection for C, C++, Fortran, Objective C and other languages.
- GCL or GNU Common Lisp, is a
compiler and interpreter for Common Lisp.
- gdb is a source-level debugger for C, C++ and Fortran.
- gdbm is a replacement for the traditional 'dbm' and 'ndbm' libraries.
- gengetopt generates a C function that uses getopt_long function to parse the command line options, validate them and fill a struct.
- The GNU gettext tool set has everything maintainers need to internationalize a package's user messages.
- gforth is a fast, portable implementation of the ANSI Forth language.
- Ggradebook is an application for tracking
student grades for
- Ghostscript is an interpreter for the Postscript and PDF graphics languages.
- Ghostview provides
a graphical front end to Ghostscript allowing a Postscript or PDF
file to be previewed using an X Window interface.
- The GNU 3DKit
is part of the GNUstep environment,
which provides an Object-Oriented
application development framework and tool set for use on a wide
variety of computer platforms.
- GNU AWACS, the Advanced Monitoring And Control Structure.
- GNU GLOBAL is a source code
tag system that works the same way across diverse environments.
- GNU lightning
is a fast, easily retargetable library that allows programs
to compile assembly language subroutines at run-time and still be
- GNU Image Finding Tool
is a Content Based Image Retrieval System.
- The GIMP, the GNU Image Manipulation Program, is like Photoshop only better.
- GIT, the GNU Interactive Tools package, includes: an extensible file system browser, an ASCII/hex file viewer, a process viewer/killer, and other related utilities and shell scripts.
gleem: OpenGL Extremely Easy-to-use Manipulators is a small,
self-contained C++ library of 3D Widgets that support direct user interaction
with a 3D scene.
GLUE Links Users Everywhere, the GNU integrated Internet groupware project.
- gmp, GNU mp, is a library for arithmetic on arbitrary precision integers, rational numbers, and floating-point numbers.
- GNAT is a complete Ada95 compilation system, maintained and distributed under the GNU General Public License by Ada Core Technologies.
- GNATS, GNats: A Tracking System, is a bug-tracking system. It is based upon the paradigm of a central site or organization which receives problem reports and negotiates their resolution by electronic mail.
- GNOME is the GNU desktop,
intended to provide graphical user interfaces for all the tasks
for which they make sense. GNOME has everything from
spreadsheets to mail clients.
- The Gnucomm
project aims to provide better solutions to common
- GNU Go plays the game of Go.
- GNUjdoc is a central
archive of Japanese translations of GNU documents.
- Gnumeric is a spreadsheet
intended to replace commercial spreadsheets.
- GNUTS is a GUI
toolkit abstraction library.
- The GNU Octal project
seeks to create a set of free components that work
together as a digital music workstation for unix-like
- GNU Parted is a program that allows you to manipulate disk partitions.
jocularly called "GNUscape Navigator") is a Web browser that runs under GNU Emacs.
- GNU Smalltalk
is our implementation of the Smalltalk-80 language.
- GNUstep provides a graphical, object-oriented programming environment.
- gpaint is a simple,
easy-to-use paint program.
is the GNU Pascal compiler. It implements ISO 7185 Standard
Pascal, large portions of ISO 10206 Extended Pascal and is
highly compatible to version 7 of Borland Pascal.
- GOOPS is the Object
Oriented extension to Guile.
- Goose is a C++ library for statistical calculations.
- gperf generates a perfect
hash function and hash table for a given set of strings.
- GNU Photo is free
software for retrieving, organizing, web-authoring and storing images
in various graphics file formats, or for display directly to a monitor
from a range of supported digital still cameras.
- Greg is a framework for testing
other programs and libraries.
- The grep package includes GNU `grep', `egrep', and `fgrep', which find lines that match entered patterns.
- GRG is the GNU Report Generator.
- Groff is a document formatting system based on a device-independent version of `troff'.
- GNU GRUB is the GNU GRand Unified Bootloader.
- GnuPG is a
program for encrypting, decrypting and signing email
and other data. It is a complete
implementation of the OpenPGP Internet standard.
- GNU Scientific Library (GSL), a free numerical library for C programmers.
- GTK+ is a GUI toolkit for the
X Window System.
- GTKeyboard allows the
user to press keys on an onscreen keyboard that will either be entered into
a simple text editor, or into the application of choice.
- Guile is the GNU extensibility library.
- gzip is GNU's program for compressing and decompressing files.
- The GNU hello program produces a familiar, friendly greeting. It allows non-programmers to use a classic computer science tool which would otherwise be unavailable to them.
is a tool for automatically generating simple manual pages
from program output.
- GNU hp2xx reads HP-GL files, decomposes all drawing commands into elementary vectors, and converts them into a variety of vector and raster output formats.
- Httptunnel creates
a bidirectional virtual data path tunnelled in HTTP requests.
- Hyperbole, written by Bob Weiner in Emacs Lisp, is an open, efficient, programmable information management, autonumbered outliner, and hypertext system, intended for everyday work on any platform Emacs runs on.
- ID Utils is a package of simple, fast, high-capacity, language-independent tools that index program identifiers, literal numbers, or words of human-readable text.
- GNU indent formats C source code into GNU, BSD, K&R, or your own special indentation style.
- Inetutils is a distribution of common networking utilities and servers.
- JACAL is a symbolic mathematics system.
- java2html is a small
program that, given a java source code, produces an html source
with syntax highlighting.
- Kawa is a Scheme
environment, written in Java, and that compiles Scheme code into Java
- less is a display paginator similar to `more' and `pg', but with various features (such as the ability to scroll backwards) that most pagers lack.
- libpng is a reference library for the PNG graphics format.
- libtool makes it easy to develop and maintain shared libraries.
- libxmi is a C/C++ function library for rasterizing 2-D vector graphics. It can draw 2-D vector graphics primitives onto a user-supplied matrix of pixels.
- lilypond is a music typesetter.
- GNU m4 is an implementation of the traditional Unix macro processor.
- Mailman is a software to help manage email discussion lists.
- make automatically determines which pieces of a large program need to be recompiled, and issues commands to recompile them.
- Maverik is a virtual reality micro kernel.
- The Midnight Commander is a user friendly and colorful Unix file manager and shell, useful to novice and guru alike.
- Meta-HTML is a programming language specifically designed for working within the World Wide Web environment.
provides a C++ library to build and query a
full text inverted index.
- The mll2html
reformats a mailinglist file into a more convenient HTML file.
- mtools is a set of
public domain programs to allow Unix systems to read, write, and
manipulate files on a DOS file system (typically a diskette).
- Nana is a package for programming and testing debugging assertions.
is a Pico clone for *NIX. It aims to solve a few
"problems" with Pico while at the same time maintaining the look
and feel and ease-of-use of the original.
- Ncurses is a package for displaying and updating text on text-only terminals.
- OBST is a persistent object management system with bindings to C++. OBST supports incremental loading of methods.
- Octave does arithmetic for real and complex scalars and matrices, solves sets of nonlinear algebraic equations, integrates systems of ordinary differential and differential-algebraic equations, and integrates functions over finite and infinite intervals.
- Oleo is a spreadsheet program. It supports the X Window System and character-based terminals, and can output Embedded Postscript renditions of spreadsheets.
- Panorama is a framework for 3D graphics production.
- patch is our version of Larry Wall's program to take `diff''s output and apply those differences to an original file to generate the modified version.
- PCB is a
freeware package for designing printed circuit board layouts.
- Phantom.Home is a computer controlled home automation system.
- Phantom.Security is a computer controlled security system.
- The Plotutils package contains `libplot', a C/C++ library that can export 2-D vector graphics, in many file formats, and do vector graphics animations. It also contains several command-line programs for plotting scientific data.
- GNU Prolog (gprolog) is a native
compiler for ISO Prolog with constraint solving over finite domains.
- PSPP is the GNU replacement for SPSS.
- Pth is the GNU Portable Threads library
- ptx is the GNU version of the traditional permuted index generator.
- queue is a
load-balancing/distributed batch processing and local rsh replacement
- R is a system for
statistical computation and graphics. It is a dialect of the S
programming language from Bell Labs.
- GNU Radio does digital
signal processing to make Software Defined Radios easy to build.
- Radius is a server for
remote user authentification and accounting.
- RAT is a Recipe Analysis Tool
which calculates the total nutrients in a given recipe.
- RCS, the Revision Control System, is used for version control and management of software projects.
- GNU recode converts files between character sets and usages. When exact transliterations are not possible, it may delete the offending characters or fall back on approximations.
- GNU Robots
is a game/diversion where you construct a program for a
little robot, then watch him explore a world.
- rx is a replacement for the GNU regex library.
- GNU Sauce
(Software Against Unsolicited Commercial Email) is an SMTP server written to help in the fight against spam and also helps encourage good configuration
and system administration in general.
- Sather is an
object oriented language designed to be simple, efficient, safe,
flexible and non-proprietary.
- sed is a stream-oriented version of `ed'.
- shtool is a portable shell tool for use inside source trees of free software packages.
- Sharutils includes `shar',which makes so-called shell archives out of many files, preparing them for transmission by electronic mail services; `unshar' helps unpack these shell archives after reception.
- The Shellutils are: `basename', `chroot', `date', `dirname', `echo', `env', `expr', `factor', `false', `groups', `hostname', `id', `logname', `nice', `nohup', `pathchk', `printenv', `printf', `pwd', `seq', `sleep', `stty', `su', `tee', `test', `true', `tty', `uname', `uptime', `users', `who', `whoami', and `yes'.
- smail is a mail transport system, designed as a compatible drop-in replacement for `sendmail'. It uses a much simpler configuration format than `sendmail' and is designed to be setup with minimal effort.
is a complete, small, very fast Eiffel compiler.
Highlight is a collection of programs that given a source file,
produces a document with syntax highlighting. It includes both GNU
java2html and GNU cpp2html.
- GNU SQL
is a free, portable multiuser relational database management system.
- stow manages the installation of software packages, keeping them separate while making them appear to be installed in the same place.
- Sweater is a generic database front end tool.
- SXML is a tool to define and
implement a markup language.
- GNU tar includes multi-volume support, the ability to archive sparse files, compression/decompression, remote archives, and special features that allow `tar' to be used for incremental and full backups.
- The Termutils package contains programs for controlling terminals. `tput' is a portable way for shell scripts to use special terminal capabilities. `tabs' is a program to set hardware terminal tab settings.
- texinfo is a set of utilities which generate printed manuals, plain ASCII text, and online hypertext documentation (called `Info'), and can read online Info documents.
- GNU TeXmacs is a scientific editor
inspired by both TeX and GNU Emacs.
- textutils is a set of utilities for manipulating text.
- time reports (usually from a shell) the user, system, and real time used by a process. On some systems it also reports memory usage, page faults, etc.
- GnuTLS is an implementation of TLS 1.0 Internet standard.
- GNU Trueprint is a program
for printing source files and other text files to a postscript printer.
- GNU Typist is a
universal typing tutor for which tutorials can easily be written.
- units is a program for
units conversion and units calculation.
- userv is a system facility
to allow one program to invoke another when only limited
trust exists between them.
- VCDImager is a tool for generating Video-CD BIN/CUE images.
- wdiff is a front-end to GNU `diff'. It compares two files, finding the words deleted or added to the first to make the second.
- wget non-interactively retrieves files from the WWW using HTTP and FTP. It is suitable for use in shell scripts.
- Window Maker is a window manager
- XaoS is a real-time fractal zoomer.
- xhippo is a generic playlist
manager program for a variety of sound players.
- xinfo is an X-windows program for reading Info files.
- Xlogmaster is an X11 program that does comfortable and fast monitoring of all logfiles and every device that allows its status being read by cat (like the /proc devices).
- xshogi is a graphical Shogi (Japanese Chess) board for the X Window System.
- Zebra is an implementation of many
popular routing protocols.
- zlib is a free lossless compression library.
Various Java programs have been contributed to the GNU Project. You will
find a list of these programs by visiting our list of Java packages and applications or our Java page.
These are some additional GPL or LGPL-covered free programs which we think it
is useful to mention.
- AbiWord is
a word processor belonging to a suite of desktop
productivity applications developed under the AbiSource Project.
- Mats Weber's
Components for math, data structures, Ada programming
tools and OS Interface.
is a transaction-based software configuration management system.
Intrusion Detection Environment) is a free replacement for
Tripwire(tm). It does the same things are Tripwire(tm) and more.
- Algol68G is
an implementation of Algol 68 for GNU/Linux.
- A.L.I.C.E. (Artificial
Linguistic Internet Computer Entity) is a natural language,
artificial intelligence chat robot.
- Zelerate's AllCommerce is an
"enterprise level, collaborative e-commerce application" in Perl. It
is a complete set of CAD tools for the specification, design
and validation of digital VLSI circuits.
- Autochar is used to automate
the characterization of digital circuits.
- AWStats is a tool
that enerates advanced web server access statistics in a
- bookland.py is a
Python program that generates ISBN bar code symbols (Bookland EAN-13 +
5-digit add-on) in EPS format. Includes UPC-A and EAN-13 classes, so
possibly useful in broader context.
is a daemon which provides access to the GNU/Linux console (text mode)
for a blind person using a soft braille display.
- The Bioinformatics Template Library
templates to implement generic programming in the same way as Standard
Template Library (STL)
- CAPA ("Computer Aided Personal
Approach") is a network system for learning, teaching, assessment
and administration. You can find the sources in
- Catdoc is a
program which reads Microsoft word files and outputs ASCII text
of the contents of the file.
- cdcd is a command-line
program to play CDs.
- CGoban is a
client program for the game of Go. It can be used to
edit games, play on the Internet or with
reads a sendmail aliases file and reports problems in it.
- CUPS is a program under the GPL that
provides a portable printing
- Changetrack is a program to monitor changes to a bunch of system files. If files are modified one day, and the machine starts working incorrectly a few days later, changetrack can provide information on which files were modified and help locate the problem.
- Citadel is a BBS program.
- CLN is a C++ class library for numbers. It provides
arbitrary precision arithetic for integers, rationals, and floats and
also many other common mathematical functions.
- COAS is a general-purpose framework
for configuration editing.
- Coldstore is gigabyte scale persistent object store / OODBC, under GPL.
is a program that compares two pieces of text for similarities.
automatically determines which pieces of a large program need to be
recompiled, and issues commands to recompile them.
- CVS is a version control system (like RCS or SCCS) which allows you to keep old versions of files (usually source code), keep a log of who, when, and why changes occurred, etc.
- Cyber Radio 1
is a client/server application used for live Internet audio
- DGPS allows
you to get GPS correction signals over IP. (This is no longer necessary,
but looking at the program might be fun.)
are Python modules which can perform common data mining applications
- The E Equational Theorem Prover is an automated theorem
prover for clausal logic, based on superposition and rewriting.
- eFax is a program for
sending and receiving class 1 and class 2 faxes.
- Elegant is an imperative programming language inspired
by the abstraction mechanisms found in modern functional languages. It means: Exploiting Lazy Evaluation for the Grammar Attributes of Non-Terminals.
is a compiler construction kit.
- The Epeios
project provides C++ libraries for multiple use.
is an audio file player and sound daemon.
- Exim is a powerful mail transport
- FarsiTeX is a TeX
typesetting program for Persian.
is a program for estimating maximum likelihood
phylogenetic trees from nucleotide sequences.
(pronounced like fuzzy) is a full implementation
of the EcmaScript language.
is collection of four libraries which can be used to build foreign
function call interfaces in embedded interpreters.
is a C subroutine library for computing the Discrete Fourier
Transform (DFT) in one or more dimensions.
- Fltk is a LGPL'd C++ graphical
user interface toolkit for X, OpenGL and Windows.
- FreeAmp is an MP3 player
released under the GPL.
- FreePascal is a free software
implementation of the Pascal language.
- FreeS/WAN is
an implementation of IPSEC and IKE for GNU/Linux.
- FreeVSD is free software that
facilitates true Linux Virtual Servers within a 'chroot' environment,
allowing web servers and other applications to be deployed and
discretely, without compromise to security.
- FRONTIER is a
geometric constraint solver that supports 3d feature based design.
- Gale is an instant messaging
and presence software
is a HTML editor that supports Java Script, VRML 2.0, and Script-Fu
- gEDA is a collection of tools that include
a schematic capture tool, a netlister, PCB tool, and a verilog compiler/simulator.
gEDA stands for GPLd Electronic Design Automation Project.
- Generic NQS, a batch processing system.
- GeneWeb is genealogy
software with a web interface. It supports 14 languages.
is an interactive3D viewing program for Unix.
- GiNaC is a framework of C++
classes to perform some symbolic computations directly within that
- GMT or Generic Mapping Tools
is a collection of 60 UNIX tools that allow users to manipulate
(x,y) and (x,y,z) datasets with a facility for producing complex Encapsulated
- GNUMed comprehensive and robust software package for paperless medical practice. As of today it is not part of the GNU Project depite of its name.
- GnuSkies is an attempt
to create a free version of the xephem program.
- GRACE is
a WYSIWYG 2D plotting tool for X Window System and Motif (LessTif).
is a language for typesetting graphs.
- GRASS GIS is
a Geographical Information System (GIS) with
topological vector, image processing, and
graphics production functionality that operates
in the UNIX environment through a
graphical user interface and shell in X-Windows.
- Gstat is a computer
program for geostatistical modeling, prediction and simulation.
- Harbour is a
cross-platform compiler for the xBase language.
is a program for reformatting HTML code.
- Hoard is a fast, scalable and
memory-efficient allocator for multiprocessors.
- ht://Dig is a complete world
wide web indexing and searching system.
- iGMT or Interactive
mapping of Geoscientific Datasets, is a visual tool for generating
Generic Mapping Tools (GMT) scripts.
(which combines Minivend and Tallyman) is a free full-featured web
based electronic catalog/ordering system.
- jMax is an environment
for programming real-time interactive multimedia applications.
- Kci is a
chemical compiler, i.e., it reads a file describing a set of
chemical reactions and simulates them.
is a mathematical modeling program
for heat diffusion, deformation, friction, and ground water flow.
- LessTif is a free implementation
is a method to detect and handle buffer overflow attacks.
implements a trash can by intercepting calls to glibc's unlink().
is a program to operate on GIF files using uncompressed
GIFs when writing. See Why there
are no GIF files on GNU web pages.
- Light Speed!
simulates a geometric lattice, or arbitrary object moving at
high velocity through space.
is a text WWW browser with support for tables.
- Linux is a monolithic UNIX
kernel often used together with the GNU system.
- Linux Lab Project is
a project intented to help people with development of data
collection and process control software for GNU/Linux.
- Lout is a
document formatting system similar in style to LaTeX.
- LPE is a small, efficient
programmer's editor for UNIX systems with support for a variety of
modes including automatic indentation, brace flashing, syntax
- Lynx, a text-only Web
browser that is
The Modelling and Animation Machine and Virtual Rendering System form
the basic components of a 3D visualization and graphics library for
implementing visualization software.
- maxima is a Common Lisp implementation of MIT's Macsyma system for computer based algebra.
- MC is a program
that creates vector-space models from text documents for use in text
- Mercury is a
modern logic/functional programming language. The Mercury
implementation includes a compiler, a debugger, a profiler,
and numerous library packages and other tools.
is a Perl program for converting e-mail messages as specified
in RFC 822 and MIME to HTML.
is an LGPL'ed musical operating system.
DC1+ driver for the Linux kernel.
- The MIT Photonic-Bands
package is a GPLd program for computing the band structures
(dispersion relations) and electromagnetic modes of periodic
- Ulm's Modula-2
system provides a compiler for Modula-2.
- The Monkey HTTP Daemon
is an HTTP 1.1 server written entirely in C.
Mozart Development Environment
is a framework for developing user-extensible compilers or compilers for
is a tool to monitor the traffic load of network-links.
- NetHack is a Rogue-like adventure game supporting character and X displays.
is a C++ library that hides the basic mathematics
of Non-Uniform Rational B-Splines (NURBS).
Not-So-Bad Distribution, is an automated Web-based distribution
system that is designed for distributing free software on the
internet, where users cannot trust the network and cannot entirely
trust the software maintainers.
- omniORB is a
GPLed CORBA orb.
- The Pizza
Delivery System is a GTK+ Application for automating the
order processing of both delivery and take away orders for your
average Pizza Bar, Cafe, Bistro, etc.
V4 is an attempt to create an Oberon V4 for systems running
- OpenACS is an advanced toolkit for
building scalable, community-oriented web applications.
is working on a free bios.
submits lists of URL's to various search engines.
- pasdoc is a documentation
generator for Pascal source code.
- The Perl programming language
combines the features and capabilities of C, `sed', `awk', and `sh'.
- Perl Object
Development System is an Integrated Development Environment
(IDE) for developing web applications in Perl.
- PIKT is a program
for administering heterogeneous networked workstations.
is a MIDI player for FM, GUS and external MIDI devices.
- Pliant is a
programming language framework.
- Ploticus is a data display engine.
is the Project Revision Control System.
- Profoil-WWW is a wind tunnel data analyzer.
- qDecoder, A free ANSI C
library to facilitate the creation of CGI software.
is a fast and small implementation of Scheme written in C.
is a game released under GPL.
- ReactOS is a GNU GPL
clone of Windows NT.
- Rememberance Agents are a set of applications that watch over a user's shoulder and suggest information relevant to the current situation.
is an integrated development environment for DJGPP, with a
version for GNU/Linux.
is an integrated MIDI sequencer and musical notation
- Roxen, an http server.
TOOL is a system to store and display time-series data (i.e.
network bandwidth, machine-room temperature, server load average).
- Rsync is a file transfer
program for Unix systems which provides a fast method for bringing
remote files into sync.
- The RTSP
Reference Kit could evolve into a useful
- Samba is a file-sharing
implementation under the GPL.
- SANE is an application
programming interface (API) that provides standardized access to any
raster image scanner hardware.
- screen is a terminal multiplexer that runs several separate `screens' (ttys) on a single character-based terminal.
is a retargettable, optimizing ANSI - C compiler.
splits a secret into some parts, given a threshold.
It can recalculate the secret by joining thresold parts.
- s-lang is a C-like programming
language, designed to be embedded in programs.
is a Unix-based file indexing and search engine.
- The Tiny COBOL
project is a COBOL compiler being actively developed by
members of the free software community.
is a CGI application designed to provide helpdesk problem report
management for small to medium size organizations.
is a graphical email client and PIM.
- Tvset is a program for
GNU/Linux that uses the video4linux API to display TV images in X.
is a mature, full featured web based collaboration
system that allows you to create dynamic web sites and
knowledge base systems, track issues, manage documents,
and collaborate on projects by a virtual team
is a remote display system
which allows you to view and interact with a remote 'desktop' using a
very low-level graphics protocol which is platform-independent.
- Vocabumonkey aims to
produce a highly accessible collection of software focused on math
and language skills.
- VRweb is a browser for 3D
worlds and scenes modeled in VRML.
- Willows TWIN is a cross-plattform
- WML is a HTML
- WN, an http server.
is a library for manipulating xBase files. It was formerly called
"xdb", and before that "xBase".
is a journaling filesystem for the Linux kernel.
is a complete desktop environment.
is an Internet and intranet mail server featuring an SMTP
server, POP3 server, finger server, multiple domains, and
many other features.
- XMMS is a GUI based Ogg Vorbis and
- Yabasic or Yet Another Basic,
implements the most common and simple elements of the basic language.
is a multi-user talk program, compatible with the
older talk clients and daemons.
These are some additional Non-GPL-covered free programs which we think it
is useful to mention.
- ACE (Adaptive
Communication Environment) is an
open-source object-oriented framework that implements many core
design patterns for concurrent communication software.
is a game programming library.
- Apache is a free
HTTP (Web) server which is used by over 50% of all web servers
- BladeEnc is a free MP3 encoder.
- TAO (The
ACE ORB) is a high-performance, real-time CORBA ORB.
is a Fortran to C converter.
is a general multi-lingual speech synthesis system.
- FreeGIS is a collection of links to
free Geographic Information Systems tools and data.
a web-based mail system for customer support and bug tracking.
- ftnchek is a
static debugger for Fortran 77 programs. It is designed
to detect certain errors in a Fortran program that a compiler usually
is a command-line driven interactive function plotting utility.
is a simple game physics lib which does some
simple calculations to achieve movement effects in any 2D game.
3D physics will be included eventually.
- Hugs is a small, portable
- Ispell is an interactive
spell checker that suggests `near misses' to replace unrecognized words.
- Jabber is developing a free
alternative to AIM and ICQ.
is a free implementation of OpenGL.
- Mozart implements Oz,
a concurrent object-oriented language with dataflow synchronization.
- OPENCORES is a
repository of open source, free IP synthesizable blocks and
supplemental prototype boards. Most of
their cores are currently under development but some are already
- Ptolemy is a
system-level design framework that allows mixing models of
- Python is an
interpreted, interactive, object-oriented programming language.
- TACACS+: This
is a developers source code kit for a daemon that implements the
TACACS+ authentication, authorization and accounting protocol used by
is a text-based WWW browser, that can render tables and frames.
- XJ3D is a
library for implementing the VRML97 and X3D 3D graphics specifications.
is an exact clone of the classical Wumpus game.
is a cross-platform GUI development framework.
- X window system.
Return to GNU's home page.
FSF & GNU inquiries & questions to
Other ways to contact the FSF.
Comments on these web pages to
Copyright (C) 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000. Free Software Foundation, Inc.,
59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111, USA
Verbatim copying and distribution of this entire article is
permitted in any medium, provided this notice is preserved.
$Date: 2002/01/24 01:17:22 $ $Author: yrp001 $