Welcome to the 47s: the most useless, obsessive, and somehow
strangely intriguing Star Trek site on the web. By way of an
Prepare to be assimilated. Choose your gateway into the phenomenon.
What is 47?
- You may have noticed, over years of watching Star Trek, that the number
47 has enjoyed astonishing popularity in the Star Trek universe. Shields
drop to 47 percent; 47 people die in a disaster; 47 minutes remain until
certain death. If you have not yet noticed 47...you will soon become a believer.
- So why is it there?
- It took long months of searching...and one week of Internet access
to determine the answer to that question. The number 47 is an inside joke
at Pomona College; the man who brought 47 to Star Trek, one Joe Menosky,
is a Pomona College alumnus. For a more detailed explanation of why 47 is
an inside joke at Pomona, direct your browser to Pomona
College's Star Trek page.
- What's this site for?
- This site attempts to catalog each occurrence of the number 47 in
Star Trek as we know it. Almost all 47s are considered fair game: verbal
mentions, 74s, visual diagrams, or not-so-obvious references. 47s of a more
dubious nature are included on a separate page.
- The 47s is assuredly incomplete. Should you come across a 47 that
is not on this list, submit it to me at email@example.com.
- Why on earth are you doing this?!?
- This is a question we have not yet been able to answer satisfactorily;
to the best of our knowledge, there is no logical reason for this site.
However, we can tell you that (a) we are Trekkers, and (b) as Trekkers,
it is our solemn duty to be obsessive about this sort of thing.
The Next Generation | Deep
Space Nine | Voyager | Possible 47s
Series | Credits | Letter from Brannon Braga | Multimedia 47s