Freeflight Design Shop Forum
Posted by JamesE on Tuesday, 25 December 2001, at 2:33 p.m.
Can someone please explain how to do these in Gmax? I'm trying to cut an aileron out of a wing (moving points around wont work), and I am stuck as to what to do with it. Is Boolean the thing I want anyway?
(Note that there are two responses - by Chris and Graham...)
Assuming you want to keep the part you remove and use it as the aileron this is how i do it.
1) Make a copy your wing keep it in the same place
2) Create a box that is no wider than the aileron but a bit higher and longer
3) Position it over the wing where you want the aileron
4) Select your cloned wing
5) In geometry->compound objects select boolean
6) set operand b to be a copy and click pick
7) select your box
8) now set the operation to intersection
9) now select your origional wing
10) goto boolean again and set operand b to move and select your box again
11) now set the operation to A-B
12) this leaves you with a wing that has a hole for the aileron and an object (with the name of your cloned wing) for your aileron.
13) you may need to create some new polys on each of the objects if they were edit meshes to fill in the blank faces
i think it made sense.
There's a much easier way guys ....
Follow Chris's instructions (below) but with my edits ...
> 2) Create a box that is no wider than the aileron but a bit higher
> and longer
> 3) Position it over the wing where you want the aileron
NEW FROM HERE ----
#4 Select your wing (no need to clone but hit Edit->hold just in case)
#5 In geometry->compound objects select boolean
#6 now set the operation to "CUT" and check the "REFINE" section
#7 Press "pick operand B" Button then select the NEW box
#8 Go back to the Modifiewrs Tab and convert the resultant object back to "Editable Mesh"
#9 Show the objects tree and select Element (this will normally highlight the aileron only but if not, simply select it yourself)
#10 Hit the DETACH button and name the object as you wish
BACK TO CHRIS's METHOD
> 7) you may need to create some new polys on each of the objects
> to fill in the blank faces
There ... is that better ? :)
Back to TIPS
The Freeflight Design Shop Forum is maintained with WebBBS 2.25.