Grey Labyrinth Home Recent Puzzles Puzzle Archives Links to Related Sites About The Grey Labyrinth Discussion Forums GL Chat Rooms

Get Your GL Merchandise Here!

Thread Closed  Thread Closed
UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
  Grey Labyrinth Discussion Forums
  Visitor Games
  Electoral Mafia (Page 1)

profile | register | preferences | faq

This topic is 7 pages long:   1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author
Topic:   Electoral Mafia 000781
JDTAY
Daedalian Member
Reply 0 posted 01-29-2002 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JDTAY   Click Here to Email JDTAY   Edit/Delete Message
Status: http://www.greylabyrinth.com/Forums/Forum9/HTML/000821.html

How it works:

There will be 9 voting groups of 3 people each to start. All 3 electoral votes for a group go to person with the majority of popular or normal votes from that group. If there is no majority, the 3 electoral votes are split evenly based on the popular votes and distributed. If a person in a group dies, that group keeps the same numebr of electoral votes, allowing the possibility of one person controlling three votes. If all people in group die, the number of electoral votes for that group drop to zero. The person with the most electoral votes at the end of the day (three days RL time) is lynched. In the event of a tie, noone is lynched. Whew! That's a lot to type.

Players (27):

Group 1
Raist

Floral Paradise Island
art begotti
CrystyB

Group 3
Neo
Dragon Phoenix
Eykir

Group 4
sweetwater
Zealot
Zephyr

Group 5
Soothsayer
Stile

Group 6
mithrandir
Purgation

Group 7
Annoyingpest
Cheshire Man

Group 8
Ocular Gold
ralphmerridew
Taflinel

Super Uber Cove
mudster
Samadhi
Tyenar

Dead:

jesternl (reporter) 1 - killed by mafia
mole (mafia) 7 - decapitated
Radwulf (republican) 1 - shot to death by Congress
Dread Pirate Westley (republican) 6 - shot to death by mafia
crazycellist (bodyguard) 5 - run through with sword
ChienFou (???) FPI - dead until further notice

Roles:

Independent: Equivalent of townie.
Reporter: Equivalent of cop.
Mafia: Equivalent of mafia.
Republican: Can cast one absentee vote (extra vote under different name) a day.
Bodyguard: Equivalent of doctor.

[This message has been edited by JDTAY (edited 03-02-2002 11:33 AM).]

IP: Logged

JDTAY
Daedalian Member
Reply 1 posted 01-29-2002 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JDTAY   Click Here to Email JDTAY   Edit/Delete Message
Welcome to the Floridan Congress. Florida, whose name is a complete coincidence, is a small group of islands outside of Puzzlania with almost no population. In an attempt to improve the economy, they have started implementing many American political practices, including seperate states and a congress made of two houses, one of senators (representatives for which every state has an equal number), and the other made up of representatives (representatives for which every state has a number based on their population (which, unsurprisingly, also generates an equal number for each state).

In the distance, you see Soothsayer set up a hot dog stand. You're not quite sure whether that's allowed here or not. A group of reporters is following Senator Mithrandir, who has come under fire after the disappearance of young intern Luna. Besides that, all feels peaceful.

You have a feeling that feeling won't last very much longer.

mudster
Daedalian Member
Reply 2 posted 01-29-2002 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mudster   Click Here to Email mudster   Edit/Delete Message
Makes a burger stand to rival Soothsayer's hotdog.

jesternl
Ariadnean Moderator
Reply 3 posted 01-30-2002 03:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jesternl   Click Here to Email jesternl   Edit/Delete Message
Can I still open a pot stand? But you can only buy some if you promise not to inhale anything.....

Loyal Hotdog Customers
Unregistered
Reply 4 posted 01-30-2002 03:57 AM     Edit/Delete Message
Throwns water at Mudster and goes to Sooth's hotdog stand for the finest quick food in the GL

mudster
Daedalian Member
Reply 5 posted 01-30-2002 04:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mudster   Click Here to Email mudster   Edit/Delete Message
Bah @ Loyal Hotdog Customers ;P

Bah @ Typo

[This message has been edited by mudster (edited 01-30-2002 04:17 AM).]

Dragon Phoenix
Swooping Mod
Reply 6 posted 01-30-2002 05:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dragon Phoenix   Click Here to Email Dragon Phoenix   Edit/Delete Message
* wonders why the bar is not open yet *

Stile
Daedalian Member
Reply 7 posted 01-30-2002 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stile   Click Here to Email Stile   Edit/Delete Message
Hey JD, I confirmed, you didn't get my email?

ralphmerridew
Daedalian Member
Reply 8 posted 01-30-2002 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ralphmerridew   Click Here to Email ralphmerridew   Edit/Delete Message
Buys a footlong with lots of mustard & relish

JDTAY
Daedalian Member
Reply 9 posted 01-30-2002 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JDTAY   Click Here to Email JDTAY   Edit/Delete Message
Suddenly a phone rings. Upon picking it up, you hear Secretary of Homeland Security JDTAY speaking. "We have found evidence of a possible assassination plot against Congress. Lockdown the building. Proceed with the 'mafia procedure'." He goes on to tell you that members of Congress may be involved in carrying out the assassination, and not to evacuate them from the building.

Florida's mafia procedure, used to eliminate terrorists and other crime groups, is a slightly modified version of the traditional mafia game. The differences are:
- If there are any cards, they're used in a very improper way.
- People actually get killed.
- It uses the electoral system, which has been proven to give the mafia less voting power.

Everyone sort of overlooks the fact that it gives everyone else equally less voting power. Since you are in charge of implementing the procedure, you get to work. You count and find that there are 26 people. Just to keep the electoral system nice and orderly, you pick out an inanimate object at random and give it voting power. There. 27, or 9 groups of 3. Nice and orderly.

The Cheshire Man
Daedalian Member
Reply 10 posted 01-30-2002 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The Cheshire Man   Edit/Delete Message
Finger of Suspicion: mole and Toe of Suspicion: Annoying Pest just because that "controlling three votes" thing sounds fun.

------------------
Now you see me, now you don't... but keep smiling!

Samadhi
...say McDonald's?
Reply 11 posted 01-30-2002 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Samadhi   Click Here to Email Samadhi   Edit/Delete Message
What happens to a group's votes if no one in the group is left?

Zealot
Daedalian Member
Reply 12 posted 01-30-2002 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Zealot   Click Here to Email Zealot   Edit/Delete Message
quote:
If all people in group die, the number of electoral votes for that group drop to zero.

mudster
Daedalian Member
Reply 13 posted 01-30-2002 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mudster   Click Here to Email mudster   Edit/Delete Message
Since this IS Florida, I suppose the 3 groups are Republican, Democrat and the Mafioso... Hm...

The Cheshire Man
Daedalian Member
Reply 14 posted 01-30-2002 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The Cheshire Man   Edit/Delete Message
Which begs the question: Mudster, which one are you?

------------------

ChienFou
Daedalian Member
Reply 15 posted 01-30-2002 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChienFou   Click Here to Email ChienFou   Edit/Delete Message
Sets up PortaBar(tm) You order your drinks by punching holes in a butterfly and sticking it in a slot. The bar has so far sold 26 cans of camomile tea, and the whole state's plumbing system has failed. The hotdog stand has been sued by the FBI, the State Governor, the state Governor's mistress for failure to implement an unintelligible ordering system.

The Health and safety food inspectorate (Florida branch) has closed down the mall because it is too difficult to use. The "save the manatee organisation" is lobbying outside the Legislature because the mall closure is a restriction on their civil rights to collect money for power boats to speed over the swampland.

All in all a normal start to the day.

ChienFou
Daedalian Member
Reply 16 posted 01-30-2002 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChienFou   Click Here to Email ChienFou   Edit/Delete Message
Let's get the ball rolling

Vote: property of Luna

OcularGold
Daedalian Member
Reply 17 posted 01-31-2002 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OcularGold   Click Here to Email OcularGold   Edit/Delete Message
vote: DP

since hes going to be gone, apparently.

JD - can you consider this to be my confirmation too? thanks.

:: orders a glass of scotch::

[This message has been edited by OcularGold (edited 01-31-2002 12:06 AM).]

Samadhi
...say McDonald's?
Reply 18 posted 01-31-2002 02:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Samadhi   Click Here to Email Samadhi   Edit/Delete Message
Thanks Zealot....I was at work and missed that.

mole
Subterranean Member
Reply 19 posted 01-31-2002 05:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mole   Click Here to Email mole   Edit/Delete Message
Is there any significant difference between Senators and Representatives?

Stile
Daedalian Member
Reply 20 posted 01-31-2002 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stile   Click Here to Email Stile   Edit/Delete Message
I don't think we've started yet... "Status" still says we're waiting on email confirmations.

CrystyB
Misunderstood Guy
Reply 21 posted 01-31-2002 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CrystyB   Click Here to Email CrystyB   Edit/Delete Message
But is there anyone else left to confirm? I think we've started.

(*eenie minnie minie mo*)Vote: 17.mith

ok sorry! i didn't get the italics

[This message has been edited by CrystyB (edited 02-01-2002 10:03 AM).]

The Cheshire Man
Daedalian Member
Reply 22 posted 01-31-2002 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The Cheshire Man   Edit/Delete Message
I Vote: ChristyB and all the other sleeptalkers go back to bed and wait until morning.

------------------

art begotti
pro bowler on a dish
Reply 23 posted 01-31-2002 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for art begotti   Click Here to Email art begotti   Edit/Delete Message
after reading the rules and the previous messages, i can only day two things.

(1)vote: none, as is tradition for me. i never vote first round.
(2)can someone explain the rules again?

SpinachEater
Version 2.2
Reply 24 posted 01-31-2002 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpinachEater   Click Here to Email SpinachEater   Edit/Delete Message
We thank you for your enthusiasm, but it is wished that you cease voting until day.

Unless, of course, it's really, really funny. Then you can go ahead and do so.

ChienFou
Daedalian Member
Reply 25 posted 01-31-2002 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChienFou   Click Here to Email ChienFou   Edit/Delete Message
sorry, just dreaming. scraps ordering system, supplies scotch as requested.

mudster
Daedalian Member
Reply 26 posted 01-31-2002 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mudster   Click Here to Email mudster   Edit/Delete Message
Nobody's buying my burgers?

mith
property of Luna
Reply 27 posted 01-31-2002 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mith   Click Here to Email mith   Edit/Delete Message
got veggie burgers?

ChienFou
Daedalian Member
Reply 28 posted 02-01-2002 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChienFou   Click Here to Email ChienFou   Edit/Delete Message
Mudster - I admire your personal bravery in setting up a competing burger stand in a mafia game. It has been suggested to my friend Soothsayer that you made a genuine mistake. Our friends might feel that you're not co-operating with them and might suggest that any reasonable person would remove it. They would recognise that doing so would be accepting an offer you couldn't possibly refuse and would be taken as a genuine apology.

mudster
Daedalian Member
Reply 29 posted 02-01-2002 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mudster   Click Here to Email mudster   Edit/Delete Message
Bah! It is unknown fact that Mafias don't like burger. So FOS Chien Fou.

Oh, and here's a veggie burger for you, Mith.

[edit]I forgot that it's still night ^^ so I cahnged Vote to FOS[/edit]

[This message has been edited by mudster (edited 02-01-2002 10:17 PM).]

Soothsayer
Daedalian Member
Reply 30 posted 02-02-2002 04:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Soothsayer   Click Here to Email Soothsayer   Edit/Delete Message
Obviously nobody in this lovely town wants a war (especially over burgers) but if you want to pay a slight concession to ChienFou and myself then I am positive that we can come to some arrangement - say 50% of all takings. If not then you better make sure you have protection (insert evil laugh here)

mith
property of Luna
Reply 31 posted 02-02-2002 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mith   Click Here to Email mith   Edit/Delete Message
*~passes pro-burger legislation~*

art begotti
pro bowler on a dish
Reply 32 posted 02-02-2002 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for art begotti   Click Here to Email art begotti   Edit/Delete Message
so we havent started yet? then whats with the foss?

CrystyB
Misunderstood Guy
Reply 33 posted 02-02-2002 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CrystyB   Click Here to Email CrystyB   Edit/Delete Message
quote:
A group of reporters is following Senator Mithrandir, who has come under fire after the disappearance of young intern Luna.

Is this action part of the game? (also mith is a Senator? )

quote:
You count and find that there are 26 people. Just to keep the electoral system nice and orderly, you pick out an inanimate object at random and give it voting power.

What's with 26? I think i can still count... ((otoh if you remove burglyrm we are @ 26!))

quote:
Is there any significant difference between Senators and Representatives?

I don't think so, except maybe the numbers. BTW do they actually DO anything in the Congress? (i am currently thinking we vote in common, and this thought generates the above statements. Could it be we have two diff votes, one in the Senate and one in the House?)

VOTE: rename my group as the FloralParadiseIsland. There are now 50 state names, let's make it 59.

Dread Pirate Westley
Daedalian Member
Reply 34 posted 02-02-2002 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dread Pirate Westley   Click Here to Email Dread Pirate Westley   Edit/Delete Message
I am decidedly anti-burgers, and will hold up mith's bill in the Group 6 committee, until the Pizza Amendment demanded by my constituents can be included.

Neo
Headmaster of the DTGRANA
Reply 35 posted 02-02-2002 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neo   Click Here to Email Neo   Edit/Delete Message
I'll be a replacement if Burglyrm is kicked out. If thats possible. If not ignore me.

JDTAY
Daedalian Member
Reply 36 posted 02-03-2002 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JDTAY   Click Here to Email JDTAY   Edit/Delete Message
Small note: In addition to AOL Instant Messenger and e-mail, I can now be contacted through Yahoo Instant Messenger, ICQ, and MSN Instant Messenger. I have made such preparations because I know some of you think AIM is unimaginably evil. Which it is, but I'm used to unimaginably evil stuff.

Ways you can contact JDTAY:

email: jdtay2@hotmail.com
AIM: GL JDTAY
MSN IM: GL JDTAY
Y! IM: gljdtay

JDTAY
Daedalian Member
Reply 37 posted 02-03-2002 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JDTAY   Click Here to Email JDTAY   Edit/Delete Message
Jesternl, reporter, was, as usual, crawling through the air ducts, looking down into rooms without being noticed, when all of the sudden, he came upon a mafia meeting room. "Aha! So that's who the mafia are!", he said. Unfortunately, in addition to enthusiasm, those exclamation marks were denoting level of volume, and Jesternl was abruptly killed. Oh well. Wouldn't be much of a game if he lived, would it?

In the morning, upon searching this room, you find Jesternl's bullet riddled body and Senator Mole. The conclusion Senator Mole is mafia isn't longer of much use to you, as his head is nowhere to be found.

Senator Mole, mafia, and jesternl, reporter, are dead. Let voting commence!

[This message has been edited by JDTAY (edited 02-03-2002 03:20 PM).]

Neo
Headmaster of the DTGRANA
Reply 38 posted 02-03-2002 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neo   Click Here to Email Neo   Edit/Delete Message
Now I may be new, but I know that the first rounds are slow and mostly random. So in order to get the game goin, I vote art begotti

The Cheshire Man
Daedalian Member
Reply 39 posted 02-03-2002 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The Cheshire Man   Edit/Delete Message
As much as I hate to make an enemy who can decapitate me, I will Vote:Annoying Pest out of pure, unbridled fear until someone can asure me that there are no serial killers in this game.

------------------

This topic is 7 pages long:   1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

All times are ET (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Open Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | The Grey Labyrinth