|WordPerfect® Office 2002 Now on Store Shelves!|
Corel's New Office Suite Delivers Added Power, Control and Precision to Customers
Ottawa, Canada – May 1, 2001
Corel Corporation (NASDAQ: CORL, TSE: COR) today announced that the new version of its flagship office suite, WordPerfect® Office 2002, is now available in stores across North America.
"With WordPerfect Office 2002, we have taken extraordinary steps to ensure the new features and enhancements in our flagship office suite directly answer the needs of our loyal WordPerfect customers. I'm confident we are giving customers a convincing reason to upgrade," said Derek Burney, Corel's president and CEO. "We are very proud of our new release and, starting today, customers will be able to fully understand and appreciate our enthusiasm when they experience first-hand why WordPerfect continues to distinguish itself as a superior office suite."
WordPerfect Office 2002 Standard Edition features the latest versions of the core applications – WordPerfect® 10, Quattro® Pro 10, Corel® Presentations 10, and CorelCENTRAL 10. The Professional Edition also includes the powerful database Paradox® 10 and the voice-recognition software Dragon NaturallySpeaking® 5.0. The suggested retail upgrade price for the Standard Edition is US $159* while the suggested retail upgrade price for the Professional Edition is US $259*.
"WordPerfect has always been and remains the clear choice for anyone who wants flexibility, control, sophistication, and up-to-date design elegance in word processing software," said Shirley Crow, LawNet, a network of law firm and legal department IT professionals. "Corel cares about its customers and demonstrates that commitment by offering the only product on the market that is responsive to what they need their software to be and do."
WordPerfect® Office 2002 Feature Highlights:
- The only
Reveal Codes functionality available in a word processor continues to distinguish WordPerfect as the primary choice in word processors for long, complex and highly formatted documents, especially for legal and government professional use.
- New Variables in WordPerfect 10 serve as unique markers which enable quick and easy updating of continuously changing data in templates, such as client names or service charges.
- Much enhanced Publish to PDF functionality for mailing documents to clients or colleagues as attachments via electronic mail.
- New e-mail client built into CorelCENTRAL 10 Personal Information Manager.
- Groupware support in the CorelCENTRAL 10 Calendar facilitates sharing and managing schedules over a network.
- The ability to activate multiple e-mail accounts simultaneously from one location.
- The ability to share address books in CorelCENTRAL 10.
- Unchanged file format (backward compatibility) for easy transition from one version of Corel's software to the next and access to files saved in previous versions of WordPerfect.
- Enhanced Publish to HTML for clean and direct document publication to the Internet.
- Text to Tables to Text for fast creation of tables based on separator deliminated text.
- New charting engine in Quattro Pro provides easy access to exceptionally attractive charts in the spreadsheet without the need to use additional graphics applications.
- Publish presentations to the Internet using Macromedia Flash.
- Now use MP3, WMA sound files in electronic slide presentations.
- Add motion to presentations using animated GIF files in Corel Presentations 10.
- The electronic version of The Pocket Oxford Dictionary, created by Oxford University Press, is built into WordPerfect 10 and is therefore available with both the Standard and the Professional editions of WordPerfect Office 2002. With the click of a mouse users have fast and easy access to more than 30,000 word definitions from this world authority on the English language.
- Internet calling service Net2Phone® is now included in WordPerfect Office 2002 to facilitate communication from computer to phone, computer to computer and computer to fax machine directly from the desktop.
Customers who have a purchased copy of CorelDRAW 3® or higher, Corel® WordPerfect® 5.0 or higher, Microsoft® Office 95 or higher, or Lotus® SmartSuite® 97 or higher can purchase WordPerfect Office 2002 at the upgrade price. New customers who do not own any of the above mentioned software will be able to purchase WordPerfect Office 2002 Standard Edition at the competitive rate of US $399* and WordPerfect Office 2002 Professional Edition at US $499*.
*Suggested retail price; Retailers may sell for less.
Corel Corporation provides its customers with the creative tools they need to unleash their imaginations. With its heritage of software innovation and a solid franchise of loyal customers worldwide, Corel has earned its reputation as an internationally recognized developer of award-winning graphics and business productivity applications on the Windows®, Macintosh®, Linux® and UNIX® platforms. In 2001, Corel will continue to expand its support of the Web, delivering the Internet's versatility to customers through exciting Web-based applications, content and services. Corel will also be developing applications for Microsoft's .NET platform as part of its commitment to provide customers with a full range of applications and services over the Internet. With its headquarters in Ottawa, Canada, Corel continues to be one of Silicon Valley North's most exciting and influential software companies. Corel's common stock trades on the NASDAQ Stock Market under the symbol CORL and on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbol COR. For more information on Corel Corporation, please visit www.corel.com.
This press release contains forward-looking statements as defined by the United States Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995, involving the company's expectations about future financial results and other matters. These statements reflect management's current forecast of certain aspects of the company's future business. These forward-looking statements are subject to certain risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results of operations to differ materially from historical results or current expectations. The words "plan", "expect", "believe", "intend", "anticipate", "forecast", "target", "estimate" and similar expressions identify forward-looking statements. Risk factors include shifts in customer demand, product shipment schedules, product mix, competitive products and pricing, technological shifts and other variables. Readers are referred to Corel's most recent reports filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission for a more complete discussion of the other risks and uncertainties. The factors underlying forecasts are dynamic and subject to change. As a result, forecasts speak only as of the date they are given and do not necessarily reflect the company's outlook at any other point in time. The company does not undertake to update or review these forward-looking statements.
Corel, the Corel logo, CorelCENTRAL, CorelDRAW, Paradox, Presentations, Quattro and WordPerfect are trademarks or registered trademarks of Corel Corporation or Corel Corporation Limited in Canada, the United States and/or other countries. All other product, font and company names and logos are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective companies.