TEJAL ASHWIN DESAI
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Boston University
44 Cummington Street, Boston , MA 02215
firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: (617) 358-3054
1998 Ph.D. Joint Degree from University of California, Berkeley and University of California, San Francisco Bioengineering (BioMEMS)
1994 B.Sc. Brown University, Providence, RI Biomedical Engineering (Biomaterials)
2002 Boston University Associate Professor of Biomedical Engineering
2000 University of Illinois at Chicago Distinguished Assistant Professor of Bioengineering
1998 University of Illinois at Chicago Assistant Professor, Department of Bioengineering
Research: Application of Micro- and Nanotechnology to Tissue Engineering, Biomimetic Interfaces, and Cellular/Drug Encapsulation
2002 McGowan Institute Award for Contributions to Regenerative Medicine
2001 BioMEMS and Nanotechnology Society's Visionary Science Award
2001 National Academy of Sciences Frontiers in Engineering Award
2000 Award of Distinction - UIC College of Engineering
2000 NSF CAREER Award
2000 NSF New Century Scholar Award
2000 UIC College of Engineering Best Advisor Award
1999 MIT's TR100 Award: Technology Review Magazine's Top 100 Young Innovators
1999 Crain's Chicago Business "40 under 40" Award: For leadership and innovation
1999 Engineering Foundation/ASCE.: Engineering Research Initiation Award Finalist
1998 University of California: Chancellor’s Post-doctoral Fellowship for Academic Diversity
1995-98 Whitaker Foundation: Graduate Fellowship in Biomedical Engineering
1994‑95 University of California, San Francisco: Fellowship of the Regents.
1997 University of California, San Francisco: Graduate Dissertation Research Award
1997 University of California, San Francisco: Graduate Conference Presentation Award
1997 University of California, San Francisco: Graduate Students Association Travel Award 1995 National Science Foundation: Graduate Fellowship Recipient
1998 Who's Who among America's Teachers.
1994-99 Sigma Xi Scientific Honor Society
International Society for Optical Engineering (SPIE), 1995-
Materials Research Society (MRS), 1992-
Society of Biomaterials (SFB), 1999-
Joint 2002 IEEE-EMBS/BMES Conference, Organizing Committee for BioMEMS, Sensors and Instrumentation program,, October 2001, Houston, TX.
2002 APS/BMES Spring Meeting, Organizer for "Nanotechnology in Biology and Bioengineering" Session, April 2002, New Orleans, LA.
World Congress on Biomedical Nanotechnology, Columbus, OH, Session Chair and Organizing Committee, 2000-2001
Advamed, Panelist for FDA Advisory Committee, Spring 2001
BIOMEMS 2001, Sunnyvale, CA, Scientific Advisor and Chairperson, May 2001
First International IEEE EMBS Conference on Microtechnology in Medicine and Biology, Organizing Committee, 2000-2002
International Society for Optical Engineering , Micro- and Nanofabricated Structures and Devices for Biomedical Environmental Applications (BioS Conferences): Scientific and Program Committee, 1998-99, Session Chairman, 2000, Organizing Committee 2001.
UIUC/UIC Symposium on "Engineering the Biomaterials Interface," Organizing committee and session chair, Matteson, IL October 2000.
National Science Foundation: Reviewer & Panelist, ECS, BES, CAREER, and I1998-
National Institutes of Health: Reviewer, NIEHS, 1999-, NCI, 2000-, Member of Bioanalytical Chemistry Study Section
NASA Biomolecular Science Working Group: 2001-
NASA AEMC/JPL Science and Technology Working Group (STWG) - One of eight scientist on advisory committee to determine strategic research directions, 1999-
NASA: Information Dynamics, Inc./Universities Space Research Association (IDI/USRA), Advanced Environmental Monitoring and Control Peer Review Panel, July 1999-;
American Institute for Biological Sciences, Reviewer, 1999-
Cambridge Health Institute: Scientific Advisory Board and Session Chair, “Bioengineering of Nanostructures for Biomedical and Biotechnical Applications”, Dec. 1999
Sixth World Biomaterials Conference, Symposia Chair, "Micro and Nano Fabricated Biomaterials and Structures for Tissue Engineering, May 15-20, 2000.
World Congress on Medical Physics and Biomedical Engineering, Track Chair, Bioceramics and Implants; Workshop Leader in BioMEMS, July 23-29, 2000.
BMES Annual Meeting, Nanotechnology Track Chair , October 2000.
International Journal of Biomedical Microdevices, Editorial Board, January 1999-present
Oregon Public Broadcasting (OPB) & ICAN Products, Limited: Convergence, Advisory Board for Science & Social, Ethical & Legal Considerations, April, 2000
Journal Reviewer: Biomaterials, Biotechnology and Bioengineering, Cell and Tissue Research, Biomedical Microdevices
ASTM Committee F04, Division IV, Committee Member, 1999-
Stanford I-Rite Program, Reviewer, 2000-
National Professional Media Features
“Nanotech” By S. Sohoni, The Economist, Vol. 2001.
"Changing the World at 29," By Tom Henderson, SmallTimes Magazine, Vol. 1, No. 1, 2001.
“The Programmable Pill” by Alexandra Stikeman, MIT’s Technology Review Magazine, May/June 2001.
"Going Cellular," by Mark S. Lesney, Modern Drug Development: From Concept to Development, March 2001, Vol. 4, No. 3, pp 45–46, 49, 50
"The Cutting Edge," The Hindustan Time, 19/03/2000; "Silicon Surgery" The Hindustan Time, 17/10/1999
"Macrodoctor, come meet the Nanodoctors," Lancet, Vol. 357, March 10, 2001.
“Nanomedicine Nears the Clinic” by David Voss, MIT’s Technology Review Magazine, January, February 2000, pp. 60-65.
"BioMEMS", Micromachine Devices, September 2000.
"MEMS devices: instrumentation at a cellular level," By R. Winn Hardin, OE Reports, vol. 190, October 1999.
"Biotech Innovators," Technology Review Magazine, November/December 1999
"Chicago Innovators", Crains Business Magazine, Vol. 22(44), November 1999.
Principal Invited Lectures
ASME short course in BioMEMS, Boston, MA, May 2002
NorthEast Bioengineering Conference, “Microengineering Cellular Habitats: Pegs, Pores, Polymers, and More,” Tissue Engineering Track, Keynote Speaker, Philadelphia, PA, , April 2002
Drug Carriers in Medicine and Biology, Gordon Research Conference, Invited Speaker, “Nanofilters for Controlled Drug Delivery,” Ventura, California from February 24 to March 1, 2002
Princeton University, Department of Electrical Engineering, May 2002
BioMEMS 2002, “Nanopores for Therapeutic Delivery,” Invited Talk, Knowledge Foundation Annual Conference, Boston MA, April 2002
Johnson and Johnson, Invited Talk, March 2002
Becton Dickinson, Invited Talk, May 2002
Washington University in St. Louis, Keynote Speaker, BME Day, “Integrating Cells with Microsystems,” March 2002
Gordon Conference on Drug Delivery Systems, Invited Speaker, Ventura, CA, February 2002
Integrating BioMEMS and Nanotechnology into a Commercialized Product, California NanoSystems Institute, Invited Short Course Speaker, Los Angeles, CA April 2002
CIMIT, Invited Talk, Boston MA, March 2002
McGowen Center for Engineered Tissue, U. Pittsburg, Invited Seminar, March 2002
University of Washington, Center for Nanotechnology, Invited Seminar, Jan 2002, Seattle, WA
University of Michigan, Invited seminar, April 2002, Ann Arbor, MI
Material Research Society, Invited Talk, November 2001, Boston, MA.
National Research Council (Canada) "Applications of Microsystems/Nanotechnology to the Life Sciences" Panel, November 2001, Banff, Canada
American Vacuum Society International Meeting, "Interfacial BioMEMS: Bridging the Micro to the Macro," Invited Talk, October 2001, San Francisco, CA.
BioMEMs and Nanotechnology World 2000 Conference, Invited plenary speaker, "Micro/Nanoscale Constructs for Delivery and Detection," Sept. 2001, Columbus, OH.
Nanotechnology in early detection of cancer , NIH/NIST Joint Workshop, Invited Speaker and Panelist, Gaithersburg, MD, August 2001.
SmartTalk 2001, "Microengineering Extracellular Environments," San Diego, CA August 27, 2001.
Controlled Release Society Annual Meeting, "From Pores to Particles: Micro and Nanofabricated Constructs for Drug Delivery," Invited Talk, San Diego, June 23 - 27, 2001
Abbott Laboratories, "BioMEMS-Based Tools for Microscale Tissue Engineering," Invited Symposium Speaker, June 2001
Dorothy M. Davis Heart and Lung Research Institute, "Cardiovascular Tissue Engineering: A Microscale Approach," Columbus, OH, May 2001
BioMEMS 2001, “Cell Based Microfabricated Therapeutic Constructs," Invited Speaker, May 2001
Stanford University, "BioMEM-etic Interfaces: Integrating Cells with Microsystems" May 2001
American Chemical Society, “Biomolecular Separation Microtechnology,” Invited Talk, San Diego, April 1-4, 2001.
Engineering Tissue Growth, "The Technology of Microfabrication and Micromachining for Tissue Engineering, Pittsburgh, PA, March 26, 2001
Oakridge National Lab, "Implantable BioMEMS" Invited Speaker, March 2001
Harvard University," Microfabricated Biohybrid Constructs: New Approaches for Therapeutic Delivery Systems," March 2001
Boston University, "Micro- and Nanotherapeutic Constructs: From Concept to Clinic," March 2001
Northwestern University, "Microtherapeutics and Nanotherapeutics: From Concept to Clinic, March 2001
LabAutomation 2001, "BioMEMS-based Platforms for in vitro Tissue Engineering," Jan 27-31, Palm Spring, CA
SPIE BIOS 2001, "Micromachined therapeutic delivery devices", Invited talk in session entitled "Biomedical Instrumentation Based on Micro/ Nanotechnology," San Jose, CA, Jan. 2001.
Whitaker Foundation Educational Summit, “Microtechnology in Biomedicine”, Invited Session Chair and Speaker,December 7-10, 2000.
IEEE Conference in Microtechnology and Biology, Invited keynote speaker, "Biohybrid MEMS for Tissue Engineering and Drug Delivery,"Lyon, France, October 12-14, 2000.
BioMEMs and Nanotechnology World 2000 Conference, Invited plenary speaker, "BioMEMetic Interfaces for Implantable Therapeutic Devices," Sept. 2000, Columbus, OH.
NIH/BECON Nanoscience and Nanotechnology Symposium. Invited Speaker and Panel Participant, "Therapeutic Nanotechnology: From Nanopores to nanoparticles,", June 25-26, 2000.
University of Kentucky Advanced Science and Technology Center, "Micro and Nanofabricated Tissue Engineering Constructs," July 6, 2000
Intel Corporation , "Integrating Biology with Microtechnology," Portland, OR, April 2000
Portland Business Conference, Frontiers in Biotechnology, April 2000
American Chemical Society, Congressional House Panel, "Biomedical Applications of Nanotechnology," Washington DC, January 2000
Cambridge HealthTech Institute, "Micro and Nano Tissue Engineering Constructs: Interfacing with the Biological World," Bioengineering of Nanostructures for Biomedical and Biotechnical Applications, Boston, MA, December 1999.
Dept of Pharmacology, U. Illinois at Chicago "Drug Delivery Nanotechnology," July 2000.
Dept of Endrocrinology, U. Illinois at Chicago "Endrocrin-Technology," February 2000.
NanoteK meeting KRAFT Inc "Tissue Engineering at the Micro and Nanoscale," January 2000
Northwestern University, "Microfabricated Tissue Engineering Constructs," January 2000
Electrochemical Society (Chicago) "Tissue Engineering: Biocapsules & Beyond," October 1999
Beckman Institute, University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign, "Cell Microtechnology," September 1999
College of Dentistry, Ohio State University, "Tissue Engineering and BioMEMS," Aug 1999
Baxter Corporation, Deerfield, IL "Principles of Cardiac Tissue Engineering" July 1999
Dept of Orthopedics, U. Illinois at Chicago, "Orthopedic Tissue Engineering," June 1999
Department of Critical Care/Respiratory Medicine, U. Illinois at Chicago, Feb 1999
Department of Opthamalogy, University of Illinois at Chicago, March 1999
Cleveland Clinic, Department of Bioengineering, Cleveland, OH October 1998
Center for Biomolecular Science/ Engineering, Naval Research Laboratory, 1998
Advances in Tissue Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, April 1998
UIC Women and Scientific Literacy Team, Center for Research on Women and Gender, 1998-
Faculty Advisor, Society of Women Engineers, UIC
Sponsored Research ‑ Extramural
1998/99 Co-PI, Micromachined Albumin Retention Membranes, with Controlled Glucose Diffusion Rates, Boehringer-Mannheim - Roche Diagnostics, US $24,000
Refereed Publications - Archival Journals
1. Daniel Hal Davis, Constantina S. Giannoulis, Robert Johnson, and Tejal A. Desai, "Preparation of RGD Conjugated Silicon Surfaces For Biointegration," Accepted Biomaterials, April 2002.
2. Samuel Boateng, Syed S. Lateef, Carrie Crot, Delara Motlagh, Tejal Desai, Allen Samarel, Brenda Russell, and Luke Hanley. “Peptides bound to Silicone Membranes and 3D Microfabrication for Cardiac Cell Culture,” Advanced Materials 14, No. 6, March 18 2002.
3. L. Leoni, D. Attiah, and T.A. Desai, “Nanoporous Platforms for Cellular Sensing and Delivery, Sensors, Invited paper, Vol. 2: 111-120, 2002.
4. A. Ahmed, C. Bonner, and T.A. Desai. “Bioadhesive Microdevices with Multiple Reservoirs: A new platform for oral drug delivery,” Accepted J. Controlled Release, 2002.
5. D. Giannoulis and T.A. Desai. "Behavior of Fibroblasts and Proteins on Thin Nanostructured Inorganic Films, Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine, 13 (1): 75-80, January 2002
6. Lara Leoni, Tony Boriarski, and Tejal A. Desai. “Characterization of Nanoporous Membranes for Immunoisolation: Diffusion Properties and Tissue Effects,” Biomedical Microdevices, Vol. 4(2), May 2002.
7. K. Popat, Robert W. Johnson, and T.A. Desai, "Vapor Deposited Thin Silane Films on Silicon Substrates for Biomedical Microdevices, Surface and Coatings Technology 154 (2002) 253-261.
8. Ketul C. Popat, Sadhana Sharma and Tejal A. Desai, “Engineered silicon surfaces for biomimetic interfaces”, Medical Device Manufacturing and Technology, World Markets Research Center, London, June 2002
9. Ketul C. Popat, Robert W. Johnson and Tejal A. Desai, “Vapor deposited poly(ethylene glycol) films for surface modification of microfluidic systems”, Accepted in Journal of Association of Laboratory Automation, May 2002.
10. J. Deutsch Snyder and Tejal A. Desai. “Fabrication of Multiple Microscale Features on Polymer Surfaces for Applications in Tissue Engineering,” Journal of Biomaterials Science, Polymer Edition, Vol. 3(4): 293-300, December 2001.
11. Lara Leoni and Tejal A. Desai. "Nanoporous Biocapsules for the Encapsulation of Insulinoma Cells: Biotransport and Biocompatibility Considerations," IEEE Transactions in Biomedical Engineering, Vol. 48 (11), November 2001.
12. Sadhana Sharma, Robert W Johnson and Tejal A Desai (2001). "Characterization of poly(ethylene glycol) thin films on silicon for implantable microdevices". In ACS Symposium Series (in press).
13. J. Deutsch Snyder and T.A. Desai. "Microscale Three-Dimensional Polymer Platforms for In Vitro Cell Culture Systems," Journal of Biomaterials Science: Polymer Edition, Vol. 12 No. 11, 2001.
14. Tejal A. Desai. " Micro- and nanoscale structures for tissue engineering constructs," Medical Engineering & Physics, Vol 22 (9): 595-606, 2001.
15. Tejal A. Desai and R. Magin. "A Cure for Bioengineering? A New Undergraduate Core Curriculum" Journal of Engineering Education, April 2001.
16. T. A. Desai, Editor. "Therapeutic Microtechnology" Biomedical Microdevices, 2001.
17. Wei Tan, R. Krishnaraj, and Tejal A. Desai. " Evaluation of Nanostructured Composite Collagen-Chitosan Matrices for Tissue Engineering," Tissue Engineering, 7(2), 2001.
18. J. Deutsch Snyder and T.A. Desai. " Fabrication of Microscale Three-dimensional Features on Polymer Surfaces for Applications in Tissue Engineering, " J. Biomedical Microdevices, December 2001.
19. Ahmed, C. Bonner, and T.A. Desai. Bioadhesive Micro Particles for Oral Drug Delivery: A Feasibility Study, Biomedical Microdevices, Vol. 3, No. 2, June 2001.
20. T.A. Desai, "Micromachined therapeutic delivery systems: from concept to clinic," Proc. SPIE, Vol. 4265 , Micro- and Nanotechnology for Biomedical and Environmental Applications, Raymond P. Mariella, Jr..; Dan V. Nicolau; Eds. May 2001, In print.
21. Tejal A. Desai, Derek J. Hansford, Lara Leoni , Matthias Essenpreis, and Mauro Ferrari. "Nanoporous Anti-fouling Silicon Membranes for Implantable Biosensor Applications, Biosensors and Bioelectronics, 15(9-10): 453 - 462, 2000.
22. J. Deutsch, D. Motlagh, B. Russell, T.A. Desai. "Fabrication of Microtextured Membranes for Cardiac Myocyte Attachment and Orientation," J. Biomed. Materials Research, 53: 2000.
23. Tejal A. Desai. "Microfabricated Interfaces: New Approaches in Tissue Engineering and Biomolecular separation," Biomolecular Engineering, Volume 17, Issue 1, pp. 23 - 36, October 2000.
24. D. Hansford, T.A. Desai, and M. Ferrari. Nano-scale Size based Biomolecular Separation Technology. Biochip Technology, eds, Kricka and Chen, Harwood Academic Publisher, pp. 341-362, 2000.
25. Tejal A. Desai et al. "Microtextured Cell Culture Platforms: Biomimetic Substrates for the Growth of Cardiac Myocytes and Fibroblasts" Biomedical Microdevices, 2(2): 123-129, March 1999
26. T. A. Desai, "Cell Microtechnology: Applications of Microfabrication in Cell Analysis, Cell-Based Therapeutics, and Tissue Engineering," Biomedical Microdevices, 2 (2):87-88, March 1999.
27. Tejal A. Desai, Derek J. Hansford, Lawrence Kulinsky, Amir H. Nashat, Guido Rasi, Jay Tu, Yuchun. Wang, Miqin Zhang, and Mauro Ferrari. "Nanopore Technology for Biomedical Applications," J. Biomedical Microdevices, Vol. 2 (1), 11-40, 1999.
28. T.A. Desai, D. Hansford and M. Ferrari. "Characterization of Micromachined Membranes for Immunoisolation and Bioseparation Applications," J. Membrane Science, Vol. 4132:1-11,1999.
29. T.A. Desai, W.H. Chu, G. Rasi, P.S. Vallebona, E. Guarino, and M. Ferrari, “Microfabricated Biocapsules Provide Short-Term Immunoisolation of Insulinoma Xenografts”, J. Biomedical Microdevices, Vol. 1, No. 2, 131-181, 1999.
30. D. Giannoulis and T.A. Desai. "Characterization of fibroblasts and proteins on thin films, Proc. SPIE Vol. 3912, p 122-129, Micro- and Nanotechnology for Biomedical and Environmental Applications, Raymond P. Mariella, Ed., 2000.
31. Desai, Tejal A; Deutsch, Jennifer; Motlagh, Delara; Russell, Brenda, "Microfrabricated in-vitro cell culture systems for investigating cellular interactions: fabricating a model system for cardiac myocytes" Proc. SPIE Vol. 3912, p 122-129, Micro- and Nanotechnology for Biomedical and Environmental Applications, Raymond P. Mariella, Ed., 2000.
32. T.A. Desai, W.H. Chu, J.K. Tu, G.M. Beattie, A. Hayek, and M. Ferrari. "Microfabricated Immunoisolating Biocapsules," Biotechnology and Bioengineering, Vol. 57, 118-120, 1998.
33. Miqin Zhang, Tejal Desai, and Mauro Ferrari. “Proteins and Cells on PEG Immobilized Silicon Surfaces,” Biomaterials, Vol. 19: 953-960, 1998
34. Chickering, DE; Jacob, JS; Desai, TA; Harrison, M; Harris, WP; Morrell, CN; Chaturvedi, P; Mathiowitz, E. “Bioadhesive microspheres .3. An in vivo transit and bioavailability study of drug-loaded alginate and poly(fumaric-co-sebacic anhydride) microspheres,” Journal of Controlled Release, Sep. 22, 1997, Vol. 48(N1):, pp. 35-46.
35. Hui-Min Chen, Lois Jovanovic-Peterson, Tejal A. Desai, and Charles Peterson. “Lessons Learned from the Non-Obese Diabetic Mouse II: Amelioration of Pancreatic Autoimmune Isograft Rejection During Pregnancy,” American Journal of Perinatology, 10(4), May 1996.
36. T.A. Desai, W.H. Chu, G. Rasi, P. Sinibaldi-Vallebona, P. Borboni, G. Beattie, A. Hayek, and M. Ferrari, "Implantation of Microfabricated Immunoisolating Biocapsules", Micro and Nanofabricated Electro‑Optical‑ Mechanical Systems for Biomedical and Environmental Application, vol. 3258, pp. 40-47, 1998.
37. D. Hansford, T. Desai, J. Tu, and M. Ferrari, "Biocompatible Silicon Wafer Bonding for biomedical Microdevices", Micro and Nanofabricated Electro‑Optical‑ Mechanical Systems for Biomedical and Environmental Application, vol. 3258, pp. 164-168, 1998.
38. T.A. Desai, W.H. Chu, J. Tu, P. Shrewsbury & M. Ferrari. “Microfabricated Biocapsules for Cell Xenografts: A Review.” Micro and Nanofabricated Electro-Optical-Mechanical Systems for Biomedical and Environmental Application Ed. P.L. Gourley, SPIE, vol. 2978, May 1997, pp. 216-226.
39. M. Ferrari, W.H. Chu, T.A. Desai, D. Hansford, G. Mazzoni and M. Zhang. “Silicon Nanotechnology for Biofiltration and Immunoisolated Cell Xenografts.” Thin Films and Surfaces for Bioactivity and Biomedical Applications. Eds. Catherine Cotell et al. Materials Research Society, vol. 414, 1996, pp. 101-106
40. M. Ferrari, W.H. Chu, T.A. Desai, & J. Tu. “Microfabricated Silicon Biocapsule for Immunoisolation of Pancreatic Islets.” Advanced Manufacturing Systems and Technology. Ed. E. Kuljanic. CISM Courses and Lectures 372. Springer Verlag 1996, pp. 559-567.
41. T.A. Desai, M. Ferrari & G. Mazzoni. “Silicon Microimplants: Fabrication and Biocompatibility,” Materials and Design Technology 1995. Ed. T. Kozik. ASME 1995, pp. 97-103.
42. T.A. Desai. "Development of a Silicon-based Microfabricated Biocapsule for the Immunoisolation of Pancreatic Islets of Langerhans," Ph.D. Thesis, University of California, San Francisco, 1998.
43. W. Tan and T.A. Desai. "Microfluidic patterning of matrices for tissue engineering," Submitted to Tissue Engineering, August 2001
44. S. Sharma, Robert W. Johnson, and T.A. Desai. "PEG films for silicon-based microdevices: Effect of Concentration on Surface Uniformity," Submitted to Applied Surface Science, February 2002.
45. Ketul C. Popat, Sadhana Sharma and Tejal A. Desai, “Non-fouling silicon surfaces for bio-microsystems”, Submitted to Advanced Materials, May 2002
46. Ketul C. Popat, Sadhana Sharma and Tejal A. Desai, “AFM analysis of organic silane thin films for bioMEMS applications”, Submitted to Surface and Interface Analysis, May 2002
47. Ketul C. Popat, Robert W. Johnson and Tejal A. Desai, “Characterization of vapor deposited poly(ethylene glycol) films on silicon surfaces for surface modification of microfluidic systems”, Submitted to Journal of Vacuum Science and Technology A, March 2002
Refereed Conference Proceedings/Abstracts
48. Tania Vu et al., Toward Development of Bioactive, Neurotransmitter-Immobilized Surfaces for Interaction with Post-Synaptic Membrane Receptors, Second Annual International IEEE-EMBS Special Topic Conference on Microtechnologies in Medicine & Biology, May 2-4, 2002 in Madison, Wisconsin
49. Sadhana Sharma, Robert Johnson, and Tejal A. Desai. Poly(ethylene Glycol) Interfaces for the Control of Biofouling in Silicon-Based Microsystems, Second Annual International IEEE-EMBS Special Topic Conference on Microtechnologies in Medicine & Biology, May 2-4, 2002 in Madison, Wisconsin
50. Barjor Gimi, Lara Leoni, Tejal Desai, Richard L. Magin, Brian Roman, "Imaging of pancreatic beta cell function by Mn2+-enhanced MRI" International Society of Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, Tenth Scientific Meeting, Honolulu, Hawaii, 2002.
51. Barjor Gimi, Sertac Eroglu, Lara Leoni, Tejal Desai, Gary Friedman, Richard L. Magin, Brian Roman, "Assessing Activation of Pancreatic B Cells Using MRI" Experimental Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Conference, Asilomar, California, 2002.
52. Daniel Hal Davis, Robert Johnson, and Tejal A. Desai, "XPS Analysis of RGD Conjugated Silicon Surfaces," Surfaces in Biomaterials Foundation Symposium, Scottsdale, AZ , Aug 29 - Sept 1, 2001 David J. Lee Scholarship Award Finalist
53. Darlene G. Attiah, Ross A. Kopher and Tejal A. Desai ,"Characterization of PC12 cell proliferation and differentiation- stimulated by ECM proteins collagen, laminin and by growth factors NGF, b-FGF," 222nd ACS National Meeting, August 26-30, Chicago, IL.
54. Darlene G. Attiah and Tejal A. Desai, Silicon Biocapsules as a delivery vehicle for neurosecretory xenografts, BMES 2001 Annual Fall Meeting, October 4-7 Durham, NC.
55. Motlagh D, JL. Deutsch, T Desai, B Russell. Morphology of cardiomyocyte is altered by surface topography. Failing Heart Conference, Utah. American Heart Association P63 1999
56. Hartman T., Mansour H., Motlagh D., Boateng S., Desai T. and Russell B. Mechano-signal Transduction in Cardiac Cells Using a New Microtextured Culture System. Northwestern Signal Transduction Symposium, May 2001
57. Motlagh, D. J.L. Deutsch, T.A. Desai, B. Russell. Cardiomyocyte Shape is Altered by Surface Topography. 5th Annual Meeting of Midwest Physiological Societies June 5-6, 2000
58. Sadhana Sharma, Robert W Johnson and Tejal A Desai. "Characterization of poly(ethylene glycol) thin films on silicon for implantable microdevices" 221st American Chemical Society (ACS) National Meeting (April 1- 5, 2001), San Diego, CA .
59. Sadhana Sharma, Lara Leoni and Tejal A Desai. "Surface Modification of Nanoporous Silicon Membranes with Poly (ethylene glycol) for Biosensor Applications". American Institute of Chemical Engineers(AIChE) National Meeting (November 4-9, 2001), Reno, Nevada.
60. Sadhana Sharma and Tejal A Desai. "Biological Characterization of Self-assembled Poly (ethylene glycol) Thin Films on Silicon for Implantable Microsystems". American Institute of Chemical Engineers(AIChE) National Meeting (November 4-9, 2001), Reno, Nevada.
61. Sadhana Sharma, Robert W Johnson and Tejal A Desai. "Evaluation of the long-term stability of poly(ethylene glycol) thin films on silicon for implantable microdevices". 222nd American Chemical Society (ACS) National Meeting (Aug 26- 31, 2001), Chicago, IL
62. K. Popat and T.A. Desai. "Chemical Vapor Deposition of Silanes on Plain and Microfabricated Silicon Surfaces," ACS Symposium Series, April 2001
63. C. Bonner and T.A. Desai. Micromachined Welled Arrays for Drug Delivery: Fabrication and Release, LabAutomation, 2001.
64. S. Sharma and T.A. Desai. Stability of PEG coatings on silicon in dry and aqueous conditions, Annals of Biomedical Engineering, vol. 28 (suppl 1): S-17, 2000.
65. Ahmed, C. Bonner, and T.A. Desai. Bioadhesive Silicon Micro Particles for Oral Drug Delivery Systems, Annals of Biomedical Engineering, vol. 28 (suppl 1): S-20, 2000.
66. W. Tan, M. Wettergreen, T. A. Desai. "Controlling Cell Interactions of Endothelial Cells and Fibroblasts on Biocompatible Materials Micropatterning in Co-culture," Annals of Biomedical Engineering, vol. 28 (suppl 1): S-92, 2000.
67. J. Deutsch and T.A. Desai. Microtextured Membranes for Tissue Engineering, World Congress in Bioengineering and Medical Physics, Chicago IL, July 2000.
68. T.A. Desai, L.Leoni, D. Hansford, and M. Ferrari. Microfabricated Interfaces for Biomolecular Separation, World Congress in Bioengineering and Medical Physics, Chicago IL, July 2000.
69. Tejal A. Desai and Richard Magin. " A New Undergraduate Core Curriculum in Cell and Tissue Engineering," ASEE Annual Meeting, St. Louis, MO, June 2000.
70. J. Deutsch, D. Motlagh, and B. Russell, T.A. Desai. "Preparation of Microtextured Membranes for Cardiac Mechanobiology," Micro and Nanofabricated Electro‑Optical‑ Mechanical Systems for Biomedical and Environmental Application, vol., 2000.
71. W. Tan, R. Krishnaraj, and T.A. Desai. Influence of chitosan on cell viability and proliferation in three dimensional collagen gels, World Congress in Bioengineering and Medical Physics, Chicago IL, July 2000.
75. J. Deutsch, D. Motlagh, B. Russell, T.A. Desai. "Fabrication of Microtextured Membranes for Cardiac Myocyte Attachment," ASAIO Conference Proceedings, June 1999.
77. T.A. Desai, D. Hansford, T. Huen, and M. Ferrari, “Investigating Immunoisolation and Diffusion Parameters Using Microfabricated Membranes,” MRS Spring 1998 Conference: Biomaterials Regulating Cell Function and Tissue Development, April 1998.
78. T.A. Desai, K. Cheung, W.H. Chu, and M. Ferrari. “In Vitro Immunoisolative Properties of Microfabricated Biocapsules,” Magnificent Milestones in and Emerging Opportunities in Medical Engineering, Proceedings of 19th Annual Conference if the IEEE/EMBS Society, October 1997.
79. T.A. Desai, W.H. Chu, J.K. Tu, And M. Ferrari. “Microfabricated Biocapsules for the Immunoisolation of Pancreatic Islets,” Annals of Biomedical Engineering, Vol. 25 (Suppl. 1), 1997, pp. S-42.
80. Mauro Ferrari, Wen Hwa Chu, Tejal Desai, and Jay Tu. "Microfabricated Biohybrid Devices,” Microfabricated Sensors, Instruments, and Systems for Biological and Medical Applications, UC Biotechnology Symposium Proceedings, May 1996, pp. 24-29.
81. D. Chickering, J.S. Jacob, A. Keung, T.A. Desai and E. Mathiowitz. "Attachment of Mucin Specific Lectins to Alginate for Use as Bioadhesives," Proceedings of the Materials Research Society Fall Meeting: Biomaterials for Drug and Cell Delivery, 1993,Vol. 331, pp. 67-71.