Before You Move
Move Your ...
- Accessorial (Additional) Services
- Services such as packing, unpacking, or waiting time that
you request to be performed (or are necessary because of landlord requirements or other
special circumstances). Charges for these services are in addition to the transportation
- Advanced Charges
- Charges for services not performed by the mover but instead by a professional, craftsman
or other third party at your request. The charges for these services are paid for by
the mover and added to your bill of lading charges.
- AMSA Certified Mover
- An interstate carrier that transports your household goods shipment under its own operating
authority, granted by the Federal Highway Administration. AMSA Certified Movers subscribe
to the AMSA Code of Conduct and have pledged to conduct their business in the most
efficient and professional manner possible.
- AMSA Certified Van Line
- An interstate carrier that transports your household goods shipment under its own authority,
granted by the Federal Highway Administration, on a national basis. Van Lines use a network
of agents throughout the country to provide the origin, destination and hauling services
needed to accomplish your move. Like Certified Movers, AMSA Certified Van Lines subscribe
to the AMSA Code of Conduct. They have pledged to conduct their business in the most
efficient and professional manner possible and are responsible for the acts of their
- Bill of Lading
- The receipt for your goods and the contract for their transportation. It is your
responsibility to understand the bill of lading before you sign it. If you do not agree
with something on the bill of lading, do not sign it until you are satisfied that it
is correct. The bill of lading is an important document. Don't lose or
misplace your copy.
- Binding/Non-Binding Estimate
- A binding estimate is an agreement made in advance with the mover that guarantees the
total cost of the move based on the quantities and services shown on the estimate. A
non-binding estimate is the carrier's approximation of the cost based on the estimated
weight of the shipment and the accessorial services requested. A non-binding estimate
is not binding on the carrier and the final charges will be based on the actual weight
and tariff provisions in effect.
- The mover providing transportation of your household goods.
- Transportation for a private shipper for which payment is required at the time of
delivery at the destination residence (or warehouse).
- Expedited Service
- An agreement with the mover to perform transportation by a set date in exchange for
charges based on a higher minimum weight.
- Guaranteed Pickup and Delivery Service
- An additional level of service whereby dates of service are guaranteed, with the mover
providing reimbursement for delays. This premium service is often subject to minimum
- High Value Article
- Items included in a shipment that are valued at more than $100 per pound. These items
should be disclosed to the mover to ensure they are protected accordingly.
- The detailed descriptive list of your household goods showing the number and
condition of each item.
- Linehaul Charges
- Charges for the vehicle transportation portion of your move. These charges
apply in addition to the additional service charges.
- Order for Service
- The document authorizing the mover to transport your household goods.
- Order (Bill of Lading) Number
- The number used to identify and track your shipment.
- Peak Season Rates
- Higher linehaul charges that are applicable during the summer months.
- Pickup and Delivery Charges
- Separate transportation charges applicable for transporting your shipment between the
SIT warehouse and your residence.
- Shuttle Service
- Use of a smaller vehicle to provide service to residences that are not accessible to
the mover's normal linehaul equipment.
- Storage-In-Transit (SIT)
- Temporary warehouse storage of your shipment pending further transportation, for
example, if your new home isn't quite ready to occupy. You must specifically request
SIT service, which may not exceed a total of 90 days of storage, and you will be
responsible for the added charges for SIT service, as well as the warehouse handling
and final delivery charges.
- The degree of "worth" of the shipment. The valuation charge compensates the
mover for assuming a greater degree of liability than that provided for in the base