Jones' Marine Boatmen of Wormsloe
Protecting the inshore waterways was
essential, so in addition to the provincial navy, scoutboats were used to
patrol the winding tidal creeks and coastal waters. The boats were powered by oars,
and like the half-galley,
were supplemented by sail (see illustration). Each scoutboat was armed with a swivel
gun, and manned by
"marines" from independant companies.
One such company was the Northern Company
of Marines, commanded by Lieutenant Noble
Jones, a former veteran of the South Carolina
Regiment. Two crews of scout boatmen operated
from a fort on his plantation, known as Wormsloe.
The fort itself was a redoubt with a single block-
house surrounded by a stockade. Under his
command were the scoutboats Savannah and
Skidaway, used to patrol the nearby waterways.
The following is a pay list for Jones'
Marines dated 29 September 1741:
To Noble Jones 6 mon pay as Commander of
the Boat with 10
Marines to guard the Inland Passages of the Rivers Savannah &
Wm. Evans " , Serj
& Coxswain "
To Midi, Miller, Rich Talley, Alex Ross & John Boyd
To James Scott 5 & 8
" John Smally 4
" James Anderson 2 & for his servant Edw. Davidson
To Thomas Wilkins 8 & Servant Watkins
To James Burnside 3 Serv. G. Howe
To Rich Wilkins 1
To Pat Cardiff 1
To Jean Stuart 4
18 for the like pay of Donald
Stewart decd to Aug 4' last
to Wm. Eame