Lab Equipment

image/_001goggles.jpg, 2.9K
These GOGGLES are used to protect your eyes from broken glass, chemicals and flames.

image/_002watchglass.jpg, 1.4K
A WATCHGLASS can be used as a beaker cover, but you can also place small amounts of chemicals on it and then heat it (for example, to evaporate some water from a wet chemical).
image/_003funnel.jpg, 1.6K
A FUNNEL is used with filter paper to remove undissolved solids from a liquid mixture. It also can be used to help pour a liquid into a container that has a small opening (for example, a volumetric flask).
image/_004stirrodrubpol.jpg, 2.1K
"A" is the STIRRING ROD, which is used to stir combinations of chemicals. You can also pour liquid down along it (as you pour it into another container) to keep it from splashing out. "B" is the RUBBER POLICEMAN. It is put on the end of the stirring rod, and it keeps the glass rod from scratching a glass beaker or other container.
image/_006evapdish.jpg, 2.2K
The EVAPORATING DISH is used as a container for heating, usually when you want to evaporate a liquid from some chemicals.
image/_007claytriangle.jpg, 1.9K
The CLAY TRIANGLE is a frame which can support a container. For example, it can hold a crucible during heating or can hold a funnel during filtering.
image/_008utilityclamp.jpg, 2.2K
This all-purpose UTILITY CLAMP can be used to hold many lab equipment items when it is attached to a ring stand. For example: test tubes, hoses, erlenmeyer flasks, burets.
image/_009buretclamp.jpg, 2.4K
This BURET CLAMP is used to hold a buret. The clamp is attached to a ring stand.
image/_010labtongs.jpg, 1.8K
LAB TONGS can be used to hold or pick up many items, but work best as tongs for picking up a hot evaporating dish.
image/_011crucibletongs.jpg, 1.8K
CRUCIBLE TONGS are designed up pick up and hold a crucible.
image/_012beakertongs.jpg, 2.2K
BEAKER TONGS are best used to hold a hot beaker.
image/_014hothands.jpg, 2.1K
HOT HANDS are a chemist's "hot pot holder". They are used to pick up hot glassware.
image/_015wiregauze.jpg, 2.3K
WIRE GAUZE can be used to support a container (such as a beaker or flask) during heating. When the bunsen burner flame is beneath it, the wire gauze helps to spread the flame (and heat) out evenly over the container.
image/_016ringclamp.jpg, 1.9K
The RING CLAMP is attached to the ring stand, and is used as a support. For example, it might be used to hold a funnel during filtering.
image/_017testtubeclamp.jpg, 2.1K
A TEST TUBE CLAMP holds a test tube during heating.
image/_018rubstoptubing.jpg, 2.4K
A RUBBER STOPPER with no holes is used as a "plug" for a test tube or flask. When the stopper as a hole in it, a piece of tubing can be inserted in it (see "A" and "C").
image/_019tt&rack.jpg, 3.7K
A TEST TUBE is used as a container to hold chemicals during heating or other reactions, and the TEST TUBE RACK supports the test tubes.
image/_020spotplates.jpg, 2.8K
A SPOT PLATE has a number of small "wells". Chemicals are placed into the small wells, and the reaction can be observed as it takes place in the "well".
image/_021balance.jpg, 3K
The BALANCE is used to measure the mass of an object in grams.
image/_022balancecloseup.jpg, 3.4K
This is a close up of the numbers on the balance.
image/_023weighingpaper.jpg, 1.9K
WEIGHING PAPER looks and feels like waxed paper. It is used with the balance so that the chemicals are placed on the paper instead of directly on the balance.
image/_024foldedweighpaper.jpg, 1.9K
Weighing paper is folded before it is used (folded into quarters).
image/_025forceps.jpg, 1.5K
FORCEPS are used to pick up small items in the laboratory
image/_026chemspatula.jpg, 1.5K
The CHEMICAL SPATULA is used to transfer chemicals. Use these instead of your fingers!!
image/_027thermometer.jpg, 1.6K
A THERMOMETER is used to measure temperature. We use celsius in the chemistry lab.
image/_028pipetbulb.jpg, 2.1K
The PIPET BULB is used to fill a pipet with liquid.
image/_029washbottle.jpg, 1.9K
A WASH BOTTLE is used to rinse glassware in the chemistry lab. It is NOT used to rinse your eyes!
image/_030grad&volpipets.jpg, 1.8K
Pipets are used to measure liquid. "A" is a VOLUMETRIC PIPET. Volumetric pipets are used to measure one amount only. For example, a 25 mL volumetric pipet is used to measure 25 mL only, and no other amount. "B" is a GRADUATED PIPET. Graduated pipets have a lot of lines drawn on it so that you can measure many different amounts.
image/_031sepfunnel.jpg, 2.1K
A SEPARATORY FUNNEL is a glass container. A mixture of liquids can be poured into it and allowed to separate.
image/_032erlenflask.jpg, 2.1K
The ERLENMEYER FLASK is a container which gives only approximate measurements of volume. It is usually used as a mixing vessel or a container for heating.
image/_033florenceflask.jpg, 2K
The FLORENCE FLASK is used to hold a liquid during heating.
image/_034roundbottomflask.jpg, 3K
This round-bottom flask is very similar to a florence flask.
image/_035mortpest.jpg, 2.9K
The MORTAR is the dish, and the PESTLE is the grinder. They are used to crush or grind up chemicals.
image/_036gradcyl.jpg, 2.6K
The GRADUATED CYLINDER is used to measure the volume of liquids in mL.
image/_037beaker.jpg, 2.6K
The BEAKER doesn't measure the volume of liquids very accurately. It is usually used as a container for mixing or holding chemicals.
image/_038volflask.jpg, 2.5K
The VOLUMETRIC FLASK is used the measure one specific volume of liquid (kind of like a volumetric pipet).
image/_039hydrometer.jpg, 2.6K
The HYDROMETER floats or sinks when placed into a liquid which is related to the density of the liquid.
image/_040condtester.jpg, 2.6K
The CONDUCTIVITY TESTER is used to measure whether an object conducts electricity or not.
image/_041thistletube.jpg, 2.3K
The THISTLE TUBE is a special type of funnel.
image/_042magbar.jpg, 2.7K
The MAGNETIC STIR BAR is a magnet covered with teflon.
image/_043burnerflintlight.jpg, 3.7K
The FLINT LIGHTER is used to ignite the flame of a BUNSEN BURNER. The gas collects inside the small cup, and the spark created ignites the gas.
image/_044buretgascollringstand.jpg, 3.5K
The RING STAND offers the support, and the buret clamp is holding a BURET (A) and a GAS COLLECTION TUBE (B). Although these look very similar, the buret is a glass tube open at both ends. There is a valve at the bottom and it is used to dispense liquids (kind of like a drink machine at McDonalds). The gas collection tube is closed at the top so that gases can collect inside and we can measure the volume of gas.
image/_045dropperpipet.jpg, 2.3K
The DROPPER PIPET is a medicine dropper and just dispenses small drops of liquid.
image/_046rubstoptubingclamp.jpg, 3.4K
The RUBBER TUBING has a rubber stopper at one end and a PINCH CLAMP at the other end. The pinch clamp can close the hose if necessary.
image/_047crucible.jpg, 2.6K
The CRUCIBLE and its COVER are used to hold small amounts of chemicals during heating at high temperatures, especially if you want to keep oxygen out of the reaction (just put the cover on the crucible).
image/_048filterpaper.jpg, 2.5K
FILTER PAPER is used to separate a mixture. It feels like thick coffee filter paper and has very small holes in it. It is folded into a "cone" shape.
image/_049filteringflask.jpg, 3.4K
The FILTERING FLASK has a side-arm which is connected to a low pressure source. This can speed of filtration.
image/_050hotplate.jpg, 2.7K
This HOT PLATE is used as a heat source.
image/_051chromatographypaper.jpg, 2.7K
CHROMATOGRAPHY PAPER is used to separate a mixture. It comes in rolls, but we use only short pieces.