- Temper's Ball
- Maxim

( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Author Flat Hills [Closed :)]
Govan
Marquis

Posted: 2002-07-24 21:29     Profile;   E-mail   Homepage Edit   Reply w/Quote
I locked eyes with the speaker, gauging him as best I could with him being a stranger. I nodded, satisfied.

Purpose? You'll have so much purpose you won't know what to do with it, kiddo.

I flipped the coin at him.

Buy provisions for my companion and I. And yourself, if you want to come with us to the end of our travels - or somewhere along the line.

I dismissed him with a thought, turning back to AmirKa. I saw his tense form and grinned lopsidedly. Leaning towards him, I ran a hand along his neck.

Aww...a bit tense? I whispered playfully, leaning in close to what seemed to be a nip to the ear. I whispered quietly, We'll have company to our room later..someone has been following me for days. At least now they will think us unprepared. Play along.

I bit AmirKa's neck lightly, then went back to cooly scanning the room, sipping my wine.

Eltharion
Venrii

Posted: 2002-07-24 22:15     Profile;   E-mail   Homepage Edit   Reply w/Quote
The woman's slow nod gave Eltharion's heart a flutter of appreciation. She was going to say yes...

"Purpose? You'll have so much purpose you won't know what to do with it, kiddo."

A man in a desert will value water over gold..but a drowning man has use for neither...

She sent a coin flittering through the air, and more importantly, lifted the weight off of Eltharion's shoulders, catching the gold, he felt himself grasp a new lease on life...will flowing through him as her instructions continued.

"Buy provisions for my companion and I. And yourself, if you want to come with us to the end of our travels - or somewhere along the line."

Eltharion stood silent, waiting for more instruction. The silent dismisal not sinking in for a few moments, then turning, Eltharion quickly left the two to their own persuits, heading back into the heat of the sun to do as he was ordered...

Eltharion
Do it yourself ENeMA in the LoFT
"I won't back down, no I won't back down,
you can stand me up at the gates of hell but I, won't back down."

AmirKa
Siquan

Posted: 2002-07-24 22:48     Profile;   Homepage Edit   Reply w/Quote
His eyes flew to the man that was breaking away from the crowd, this Eltharion, and locked there. He simply stared as the man talked. AmirKa initially labeled him as someone who had spent a bit too much time in the mines, and was a bit slow as a result, but he quickly realized that each sentence was to the point. This guy had a mission.

However, the more he talked – logic and training aside - the more creeped out AmirKa became. The guy was obsessed with finding “purpose,” which obviously meant that something had happened – or worse, he had done something – to take his current purpose away. And even without that subtle undertone, the stuttering sentences were strumming the eerie chords.

He waited until their new man left the building, then turned to Govan, about to give her a list of reasons that she was a madwoman, when she interrupted him. Although he was usually about as lusty as a block of ice, he realized the danger, and wrapped his arm around her waist. He altered his voice to speak in what he hoped to be the tone of a lascivious young man for the benefit of their new company.

“You’re right. Too tense. Why don’t we head to the room now, and you can un-tense me.”

-----
Something's better on the other side...
Outcast Nobility

Govan
Tiram

Posted: 2002-07-25 14:37     Profile;   E-mail   Homepage Edit   Reply w/Quote
I purred at AmirKa, sliding away from him. I put the glass down on the bar, swiped the keys, and turned for the stairs. My other hand caught his and pulled him along behind me. I ignored the catcalls and hoots as AmirKa and I headed up the stairs, but I did glance back at the room. And I had been right. In the raucous bar, there was one by the door that was silent.

As soon as we cleared the sight of the people in the common area, I dropped AmirKa's hand. I shuddered and wiped it on the leg of my travelling pants.

That was revolting. Somehow, that was just very, very VERY wrong. I shuddered again for good measure. Glancing at my key, I grumbled.

This is very, very auspicious. Room 13.

Finding the room, I slid the key home and turned. The bolt slid back with an achey thud, and I opened the door. Drawing my dagger, I entered the dimly lit room. It was small - maybe 10 by 10 feet only. Not a lot of room for fighting, especially with the 4 by 7 foot bed along one wall. I grimaced.

This is going to be like fighting in a can. I snarled, sliding my dagger home. I shrugged off my tattered pack, letting it fall to the floor. It clattered, mostly, as the only thing left in it were clothing and weapons.

Do you fight like that? I eyed AmirKa as I sat on the bed. I dragged my pack towards me, untying the knots and flipping it open. While it was horrendously hot, it was no excuse to take a dagger to the gut for lack of armor. I pulled out a blue silk-wrapped package and laid it on the bed.

Next I withdrew a finely inlaid scabbard. The metalwork on it displayed a raven and a hawk flying over a field. It had been a gift from Hawk when I assumed his second in command. Inside was my blade - a simple but well crafted one. I pulled out a pair of plain leather braces, and then a leather cuirass. The cuirass was another gift from Hawk.

Copper studs lined the bottom of the cuirass, which tied at the sides to make it easy for me to put on while not leaving my front exposed. The same work on the scabbard was done larger on the front of the cuirass, though small nicks showed from use. I sighed in memory, and laid it on the bed.

I need to change, so turn around. Though while I change, talk to me about you, AmirKa. What's new for you in THIS life?

Eltharion
Venrii

Posted: 2002-07-25 20:20     Profile;   E-mail   Homepage Edit   Reply w/Quote
The dry arid street welcomed Eltharion with an embrace of gritty heat. The Elf held the sleeve of his tunic over his mouth and began rasping the dusty air. The unfamiliar buildings disorienting his sense of dirrection in the strange place. Stumbling close to a worn sign, the paint erroded by the gritty tumble of air, Eltharion made out the words that told him he found the building he was looking for. As he entered the small building he looked around, there was only a single person in the room, a young man standing amidst a clutter of various tools and baubles.

Speaking a flowing verse of the common language that would contrast harshly with the local dialect, Eltharion stuttered through the things he thought they would need for their journey. Ah... we will need water sacks... you know? Enough for 3 of us to get far aw... He trailed off as the youth looked on with a little disinterest, and only slightly less amusement. The look unsettled Eltharion and he felt embarassment cloud his cheeks red. Umm... we will also need... food... something that will keep well... The smile on the mans face grew larger as he enjoyed Eltharion struggle through what was, no doubt, a common exercise in the store. And packs....to carry this all in... 3 of them... and maps... He added as an afterthought. The boy's head popped up from behind the counter, where he was pulling out various skins, and he looked at Eltharion. Maps of what? He asked. The silence hung as Eltharion silently asked where are we going? Not wanting to appear a dullard, he shrugged and managed to force out an uncarring 'around'. A small grin crossed the youth's face and he stuffed a few papers on top of the middle pack. Eltharion smiled a thankful grin and laid the golden coin on the counter... unsure of the cost of the provisions, he prayed it was enough. The boy hefted the three packs onto the counter and took the coin, dismissing Eltharion with a wave of his hand.

By the Goddess... I am lucky the price of everything came out to just what I had... He thought as he walked back into the winds, seeking to show his success to woman who's name he still did not know...

Eltharion

AmirKa
Siquan

Posted: 2002-07-26 03:20     Profile;   Homepage Edit   Reply w/Quote
He spun as Govan continued walking into the room, and barely listened to her musings on the eeriness of our supposed couple-hood. The hallway was silent, seemingly, so he peered out, both ways. Indeed, there was no sign of life for now. He retreated into the room, closed the door, and slid the bolt into place, giving the door a few tugs to assure himself it was strong.

He turned back to Govan, satisfied that no one would burst in and kill them for the moment, and turned his attention back to her voice.

“Do you fight like this?” she had asked. He considered. It had never really been a strong point of his, or a focal point of the teaching he had received, but he supposed that he would do okay. The close walls would create wonderful force for a jump off of them, and even the bed could probably be used as some sort of shield – hell, weapon - should that become necessary.

“We’ll make do,” he responded simply, and ducked down, peering next to Govan’s ankles and under the bed. Nothing that could be used as any sort of weapon, defense, or prove useful otherwise was under it. In fact, nothing was there at all.

“I hope you didn’t pay much for the room,” he muttered, watching her slowly unpack her armor. “It seems a bit barren.” He noticed the knife – Raven and Hawk – and scratched his head. He was about to compliment the workmanship, but he figured that would probably be inappropriate. Not able to find the right words, he shifted a little. Luckily, she saved him from having to think of a different approach.

He turned around at her first request, as his mind combed itself for how to answer the second one. What’s new for you in THIS life? He wasn’t sure exactly what would be “new,” since he didn’t remember much of the old. But he supposed that wasn’t what she was driving at, and was more looking for the life story.

“It’s pretty weird,” he began. “My parents were killed in a raid when I was very young, and I was taken in by a group of Trainers. Scholars. Mentors. Warriors. I don’t know. I’m not sure whether to hate them or be grateful to them to this day. I don’t really know anything I about them, I guess. They apparently took in children from all over…and gave them their training.

“I don’t know what end the training was for…I could think of a whole list of things I could do with it in my mind, and I didn’t like any of it. So I snuck away, probably weeks before they would have finally put me to use. Didn’t want to be part of whatever it was, I suppose.”

He thought.

“So, in all actuality, I would fit in well with your Outcast band. I’ve got training enough to do a lot of useful things, but I doubt any nobility would want someone who was a known abandoner.”

He took a breath and waited for Govan, while he subconsciously listened for even the remotest signs of activity in the hall.

-----
Outcast Nobility

Govan
Tiram

Posted: 2002-07-26 11:28     Profile;   E-mail   Homepage Edit   Reply w/Quote
Fit in well? I chuckled as I slid on my cuirass, tightening the strings. AmirKa, you are as much a fabric of the Outcasts as I am. Without you, we wouldn't exist. At least, not in the pure, full form.

I laced my bracers up, then put on my belt, sheath and scabbard adjusted to settle comfortably on my hip.

Done. You can look. I brushed my hands off, then toed the dirty clothing under the bed. I doubt we'd ever reach the form we were before. Too many essential parts gone. Faces and essenses I don't see, names floating in the dark. Ain. Khirehn..too many of them. But at least I was able to find you.

I muttered to myself.

Footsteps.

I drew my sword, listening quietly to the steps coming down the hall...

AmirKa
Siquan

Posted: 2002-07-28 14:53     Profile;   Homepage Edit   Reply w/Quote
He frowned a bit at her comment – he didn’t really feel like a fabric of the Outcasts. Whether that was because he never did before, or because he hadn’t fully regained his sense of the past yet was impossible to say. Regardless, he still had the nagging feeling that Govan was settling back into her former persona faster than he was, and it was unsettling. His talents gave him a control of situations that he found comfortable, and in situations like this, where control was lost, he got edgy.

However, he was given something to focus on by Govan gesturing to the footsteps immediately as he began to hear them. His thoughts raced. There wasn’t enough of an overhang on top of the door to get up there, and it was too late to push the bed in front of the door. Busting it open and stabbing wasn’t exactly the best course of action, either, since it could be just an innocent passerby for all he knew. The door was bolted, so the man would have to break it down. He had, however, noted that the doorknob was loose earlier. Which was the one card in their favor.

AmirKa quietly stepped over to the door and put his hand on the knob, holding his breath. The footsteps slowly grew closer, and finally came to a stop outside the door. That left three possibilities: it was the follower, their supplier, or somebody who was about to really regret mistaking this room for their own. The doorknob wiggled as the hand outside touched it, and AmirKa was left no time to consider which one it was.

He backed up, sprung off both his legs, and crashed into the door. The deadbolt ripped through the side of the door, which immediately flew off its rusty hinges. AmirKa’s feet hit the floor, and ignoring the sharp pain in his shoulder, he pushed off with his legs once more, slamming the man into the wall, and keeping the door in between them both. He shoved hard on the door to make certain the man’s arms were pinned.

He immediately knew it was not Eltharion – the door was very close to the wall, which insinuated a very skinny man, without any supplies. Except, most likely, a weapon. He adjusted his tone of voice to how he had been taught – very level, and very serious. Most threatening.

“I have a very sharp dagger in my hand, which could probably pierce wood and reach into your stomach with room to spare. Tell me who you are and why you are creeping around outside our room.”

-----
Outcast Nobility

Eltharion
Venrii

Posted: 2002-07-28 23:25     Profile;   E-mail   Homepage Edit   Reply w/Quote
The journey back to the inn was easier then the walk out, his path memorized in his head, Eltharion found his destination and quickly slid into the relative safety of the building.

Looking around Eltharion's presence went largely unnoticed by the inhabitants of the inn, his com... associates had vanished, their spots abandoned near the bar. Hefting the akward packs over his shoulder he began clomping his way noisily to the stairs, pounding up each one.

As he crested the stairs he noticed something was wrong... there was a door opened... no one left the door to their rooms opened in a place like this... Wandering forward slowly he cautiously tried to see what was going on...

Eltharion

Siluria
Siquan

Posted: 2002-07-29 11:53     Profile;   Homepage Edit   Reply w/Quote
I've always had dreams. Dreams and visions, when the thoughts of others weren't clouding my mind. My village had feared me, thought me a witch. Under the lead of their Foretian priest, they had bound me and thrown me in the river, testing me. I sank like a stone, and would have drown, but for an unusual rescuer.

Maledict.

I drew my breath through my teeth in an angry hiss, my mind treading these memories in pure fury. A demon under the sway of Darden, he had rescued me. He had rescued me only to steal me away to a stony, unhappy castle, with a demoness teacher. He had loved me, he said, but then he had abandoned me to her.

I still bore the scars, and often bore them proudly. I was not the scared sixteen year old girl who was tossed in the river. I was now an angry 18 year old girl who hated Darden and his demon sluts and demon pricks, and wanted revenge.

I drew a calming breath, trying to control my anger. I watched the girl at the bar. She seems to have hooked up with some man. Though he was handsome, he wasn't my type..They left for upstairs, and I waited quietly for five minutes. I tossed back the last of my drink and stood, heading up the stairs.

The Outcasts, as they were known, were known for honour and fairness, order and life. Violent only when having to be, they set laws and followed them. They revered nature and believed in Order - the opposite of Chaos. And Chaos was her enemy, which made this woman her friend. Ally.

All I had to do was let her know. But for some reason, I feared her. Maybe it was how Maledict used and tossed me aside that made me wary..maybe it was just that I hated the thought of trusting anyone. Or walking up to a stranger. Especially since I couldn't control my abilities yet.

I reached their door, and went to knock. My brief pack - just a leather sling with a change of clothing and a waterskin in it - slipped free, jostling the knob. And before I knew what was happening, the world shattered and exploded around me.

Shiiiit! I was slammed face-first against the wall, pinned by a heavier body, a definately masculine body. Her companion, likely.

OW OW OW! Sorry! Lemme go lemme go!! I squirmed, trying to get away. Sorry, I'm sorry! I'm just looking for someone! I don't mean any harm!

I couldn't breathe, and couldn't escape. Panic began to wash over me, and I tried one last time. Get away! PLEASE! Before I hurt you!

I felt tears slip down my cheeks as panic and fear began to conquer me. Not again! I could only hope he would listen.

Slipping through the night
I come to bring you to the light

[ This Message was edited by: Siluria on 2002-07-29 15:12 ]

AmirKa
Siquan

Posted: 2002-07-30 13:10     Profile;   Homepage Edit   Reply w/Quote
He narrowed his eyes at the door, and he figured, the girl behind it. The compassionate part of him begged him to release her immediately, but the trained part of him knew that the graveyards were littered with the bodies of the compassionate.

He sighed and pushed the door sideways, keeping his knife up and ready. The door clattered loudly to the ground next to him, revealing the girl in front of him. Her repeating pleas almost made him feel sorry for her, until the last one.

"Get away! PLEASE! Before I hurt you!"

That was strange. But not impossible, he supposed.

"I'm sorry. I'm sure you'll understand my caution," he said, keeping his knife up regardless. "Do come in, and we can talk." He gestured to the room, relaxing his knife ever so slightly.

-----
Outcast Nobility

Eltharion
Venrii

Posted: 2002-08-04 00:52     Profile;   E-mail   Homepage Edit   Reply w/Quote
Something odd occured to Eltharion as he peered into the room.

The door's missing. He gathered, rather astutely.

A squeal erupted from behind the door, someone must have been stuck there, rather roughly. The man...him leaned hard against the door... he was far too occupied to notice me, the person he was crushing was speaking rather boldly.... Get away! PLEASE! Before I hurt you!

As the man backed away from the door, knife up, he wearily let the girl free, 'inviting' her into the room. Peeking in tenatively Eltharion wished to see what was happening, and to receive praise for his labours, but he had no desire to startle the already edgy man.

Eltharion

Siluria
Siquan

Posted: 2002-08-04 01:14     Profile;   Homepage Edit   Reply w/Quote
I don't usually stalk people, I explained, as the man who had startled me led me into the room. He gestured at the only chair, and I sat in it. I was edgy and nervous, and I clenched my hands, trying to keep it from showing badly.

I heard about the island. A place where people never grow old and they live forever, happy..so I decided to go there. I eyed the woman who sat on the bed, just as I had eyed her from a distance before. Her hair was long and brown, braided to keep it out of her face. Her body was slender, willowy, and burned from the prairie sun.

I'm sorry... My voice trailed off in a whisper, and I hiccuped. I tried to keep the sobs bottled in, and hiccuped again before speaking. I can't control my powers. A demon tried to teach me, but he... I grit my teeth against the pain, before continuing..But he just used me. I wandered, but wherever I went I hurt people. So when I heard about this island where people lived forever, and never grew old, I thought you might have learned something...

Anything.
The last was whispered, begging.

I'm tired of hurting people. I stared at my hands, waiting for someone to speak.

Slipping through the night
I come to bring you to the light

AmirKa
Siquan

Posted: 2002-08-09 01:21     Profile;   Homepage Edit   Reply w/Quote
The girl was setting off about thirty alarms with her weird, disjointed story, but he felt a mild twinge of regret, having smashed her into a wall and all, so he sat down on the bed across from her and listened. Eltharion was down the hall, he had known that for a few seconds, but right now, his priority was the girl. He shot a look at Govan, trying to get her take on all of this. Assessing and dealing with situations came easy enough to him, but it was dealing with people that he didn't like so much.

Even so, he was assessing her as risky, unstable, and, after she elaborated on her ability to hurt people, dangerous. The voice was unnerving - it reminded him of Eltharion's. Why did we have to wander into all the nutcases? Seeing her stare at her hands was even worse. He figured he'd better break the silence, since Govan apparently wasn't.

"Well, uhm. I'm sorry about the door, then. And forgive my forwardness, here, but though we know a slice of your life story, we still don't know your name. How did you find us here, of all places?" Manners would have prevented him from asking the next question, since the girl was obviously distraught, but safety was more important than tact.

"What powers do you possess, exactly?"

-----
Outcast Nobility

( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Lock this TopicMove this Topic Delete this Topic
Contact Us       Evernight Games

Copyright © 2001 TidalMark, Inc.