|INTERVIEW: The Ruby Slippers Fanzine, July 2002|
|1. The Moonies - who, what + why?
Steve Banks - Devil Guitar and screams
Ryan Clarke - Exploding Bass and wasp sting vocals
Mike Berry - Smashed Drums and shouts
Because music used to excite us and we want to give something back.
2. Why did you call yourselves The Moonies?
We wanted to be named after something cool and mad, like Keith Moon. And we are all cheeky bastards.
3. So how did the band begin?
Ryan and Steve formed the band, we were looking for an equally insane drummer and along came Mike who scared us as much as we scared him.
4. How would you describe your sound?
Buzz-saw guitars and machine gun drums.
5. What inspires you?
The feeling you get in your stomach when you hear your fave song.
6. What are you up to at the moment?
Writing, rehearsing, recording, drinking, sexing, drugging, rocking, rolling, getting ready for the next tour.
7. What are your ambitions as a band? Would you like to be on TOTP?
Our ambition is to be as cool as The Beatles and as artistic as The Who. TOTP? I loved it when Nirvana went on it and Kurt sang a full octave lower than normal on teen spirit. We'll go on it and do something like that. We won't take it too seriously.
|8. Can you recomend any other new bands to us? Who are you listening to right now?
New bands? We were listening to Jimmy Eat World loads in the tour van. At the moment that's what Mike's listening to. Steve's constantly listening to Grandaddy and Ryan is listening to Dean Martin and Weezer. Well, I suppose we all are, really...
9. How would you describe The Moonies live experience - for you and for the audience?
For us its all just loud, fast, fun, especially when we really get into it and smash the crap out of each other and our instruments on stage and jump into the crowd and stuff. You'd better ask the audience cos we might just scare the shit out of them or something...
10. What's the best thing about being a Moonie?
Being able to pull them all the time and get away with it.
11. How would you like to be remembered?
As a dedicated band who lived life to the full.
12. Name one song you wish you could have written.
A quick one while he's away, by the who.
13. Anything else you would like to add? Any words of wisdom?
Steve is a fully trained clown, ryan's dad is a famous magician and mike has a disease called conschlippidy which makes him act insane.
14. And finally... what are your favourite sort of shoes?
Clarkes mod style shoes, bowling shoes and extra long red clown shoes.