|New Kinetix 3D Studio Plug-In Provides LightWorks
RadioRay Plug-In from the Kinetix division of
Autodesk Combines LightWorks-Based Radiosity and Ray-Tracing
SHEFFIELD, U.K. (July 21, 1997) - Kinetix, a division
of Autodesk, Inc., has introduced RadioRay,TM a new rendering plug-in based on the LightWorks® Pro
rendering engine from LightWork Design that delivers enhanced realism to 3D Studio® users.
RadioRay is available today from Kinetix.
The new RadioRay plug-in from Kinetix provides LightWorks-based radiosity and ray-trace
rendering in a single application. RadioRay fully integrates with Kinetixs 3D Studio
MAX® and 3D Studio VIZTM modeling and animation
LightWork Design is the leading supplier of rendering engines for 3D design
applications. LightWorks Pro is a comprehensive system that integrates all
industry-leading rendering techniques--radiosity, ray-tracing and scan-line rendering--in
one package. It is the highest level of the four LightWorks technology packages available
for licensing to 3D application developers.
"Were very excited to be delivering the advanced features of LightWorks into
the 3D Studio user base, particularly to the film and video animation markets through 3D
Studio MAX and the design visualization market through 3D Studio VIZ," says Gordon
Oliver, Managing Director of LightWork Design.
Artist: Michael Woodcox
"RadioRay is a great boost to architects, interior designers, and other creative
professionals who need realistic lighting and rendering effects in their scenes,"
says Noah Kennedy, Design Products Manager, Kinetix. "LightWorks integration of
radiosity and ray-tracing into the 3D Studio architecture is great news for 3D Studio MAX
and 3D Studio VIZ customers, and points to the power and flexibility of the open 3D Studio
Using the LightWorks technology, the RadioRay plug-in offers 3D Studio users the following
benefits for producing photo-realistic renderings:
- Plugs in seamlessly to both 3D Studio MAX and 3D Studio VIZ, using ray-tracing to extend
their materials model with specular and refractive materials
- Combines radiosity, non-radiosity and 3D Studio lighting effects in a single rendering
- Accepts industry-standard goniometric data--which describes in detail the way a fixture
distributes light in all directions--and includes a wide range of manufacturers
- Supports rendering for animation sequences with selectable radiosity processing of
objects and lights, allowing static radiosity solutions to be used effectively in animated
- Outputs quantified illumination results for surfaces to better inform design processes.
Designers can render a false-color image of a radiosity solution, add iso-lux contours,
and use the mouse to check the level of illumination anywhere in the scene.
- Generates view-independent lighting data for a scene, which can be viewed from any angle
without regenerating it or for export to VRML 1.0 for a real-time walk-through
- Offers a graphical user interface, fully integrated with the 3D Studio environment, that
makes RadioRay easy for casual users to understand and use
- Processes images progressively to deliver fast radiosity results that can be refined as
more time is devoted to computation
- Uses adaptive triangulation to focus radiosity processing on parts of the scene where
illumination changes rapidly rather than on areas of relatively uniform illumination
- Supports 3D Studio network rendering and most other options in the default renderer to
allow scalable rendering
- Accurately models diffuse illumination for parts of an environment not hit by a primary
light source. It also computes color bleeding and other secondary effects impossible to
achieve using standard lighting techniques.
- Provides learning tools for busy professionals through tutorials and Web-based support
About LightWork DesignTM,
a modeling and NC verification toolkit for manufacturing simulation. Its Web site is www.lightwork.com
LightWork Design is the developer of the worlds leading core rendering system. The
LightWorks technology is included in more than 50 software applications worldwide. In
addition to the RadioRay plug-in, the LightWorks rendering engine is used in products from
EDS Unigraphics, SolidWorks, auto.des.sys and Parametric Technology Corporation
(Pro/REFLEX). LightWork Design also develops and markets MachineWorks
Kinetix develops and delivers affordable content creation tools for professionals such as
film and video producers, video/computer game developers, Web content developers,
architects, engineers and designers. The leader in PC-based 3D modeling and animation
tools, Kinetix provides a full range of products for the application development process,
from 2D and 3D creation to assembly and delivery. With headquarters in San Francisco,
Kinetix is a division of Autodesk (Nasdaq: ADSK), the fifth largest PC software company in
the world with three million customers in 150 countries. 3D Studio MAX, the companys
flagship product, won more than 25 industry awards in 1996. The Kinetix Web site is www.ktx.com
Kinetix, RadioRay and 3D Studio VIZ are trademarks and 3D Studio, 3D
Studio MAX and Autodesk are registered trademarks of Autodesk, Inc. All other trademarks
are the property of their respective owners.