To main page
Bernard Henry "Barney" ROHLING was born about 1828 in Hanover, Germany. Bernards place of birth is from Baptismal record of his son Herman Joseph ROHLING at St. Joseph Church in Covington, Kentucky. Also, 1860 Census, Kenton County, Kentucky. "Barney" resided on the south side of Hopkins Street, between Linn and Baymiller, in Cincinnati, Ohio in 1858. According to the 1858 City Directory, he was a Cabinet Maker. He resided at 110 East 10th Street, Covington, Kentucky in 1869. There is no home standing at this location as of January, 1997. According to the 1860 Census and the 1869 Covington Directory he was a Chair Maker. When Norma Rawe did some research on the ROHLING family, she said that she had traced the family back to a "chair maker". Bernard Henry ROHLING married Louise PAUL about 1850. Louise PAUL was born on December 15, 1829 in Hanover, Germany. Her birth date comes from her tombstone inscription.
They had a son Ferdinand ROHLING who was born about 1850 in Ohio. Ferdinand was nine years old at the 1860 Census.
They had a daughter, Mary ROHLING who was born about 1853 in Ohio. Mary was six years old at the 1860 Census.
Their son Bernard ROHLING was born in October of 1857 in Cincinnati, Ohio, and married Sarah FITZGERALD who was born in June of 1857 in Ireland and entered the U.S. in 1862. They resided at 110 East 10th Street, Covington, Kentucky in 1898. They had ten children. Their known children were: Ferdinand Bernard ROHLING, Gilson? ROHLING, Eleanor ROHLING, Theodore Bernard ROHLING, John J. ROHLING, Margaret Elizabeth ROHLING, Ben "Tom" ROHLING, and Annie ROHLING. Sarah died on April 7, 1921. Her funeral mass was on April 11, 1921 in St. Aloysius Church. According to the notice in the Kentucky Post, funeral was "Monday, April 11, 1921, from the residence of her son, Ferdinand ROHLING, 814 Perry, Covington, KY." She was buried in St. Johns Cemetery, Ft. Mitchell, Kentucky. Sarah's maiden name is taken from son Theodore's Marriage Record at St. Aloysius, as well as children's baptismal records at St. Josephs. Bernard resided at 1920 Western Avenue, Cincinnati, Ohio in 1930, where he died on September 18, 1930. He was buried on September 22, 1930 in St. Johns Cemetery, Ft. Mitchell, Kentucky. His funeral mass was on September 22, 1930 in St. Aloysius Church, Covington, Kentucky.
They had a daughter, Anna ROHLING who was born about 1860 in Kentucky. Anna was three months old at the 1860 Census.
Their son Herman Joseph ROHLING was born on January 6, 1866. His date of birth comes from his marriage record at St. Josephs. He was baptized on January 10, 1866 in St. Joseph Church, Covington, Kentucky. Hermans Godparents were Herman Bernard ROLLING and Margaret ROLLING. Herman was married to Katharina STARK on May 22, 1889 in St. Joseph Church, Covington, Kentucky. Witnesses were Joseph Henry WILKE and Franziska STARK. Katharina STARK was born on April 20, 1867. Katharina was the daughter of Anton STARK and Franziska VOLLMER. Katharina died in February of 1907 at 32 Mary Street, Covington, Kentucky.
Their daughter Anna ROHLING was born about January 8, 1870. She was baptized on January 9, 1870 in St. Joseph Church, Covington, Kentucky. Anna's Godparents were Herman Henry ROLLING and Sabina ROLLING.
Bernard died on May 9, 1879 and was buried in Old Mother of God Cemetery at 26th and Madison in Covington, Kentucky. His death appears in St. Josephs records. Also, there is a record, made in 1965, of Bernard ROHLEING, "gest. 9 Mai 1879" on a tombstone at Buena Vista or Old Mother of God Cemetery at 26th and Madison in Covington, Kentucky. A visit to this "Cemetery" in January of 1997 revealed that all of the tombstones are piled inside a tall fence with a broken gate. A visual inspection did not reveal Bernard ROHLEINGs stone.
SOURCES - St. Joseph, Covington, Kentucky Church Records. Baptisms, 1866
- Cincinnati City Directory. 1858, page 201
- Covington City Directory, 1869. page 109
- St. Joseph, Covington, Kentucky Church Records. Deaths & Interments
- Shelby L. Meyer Sr.. Old Mother of God Cemetery Records and Tombstone inscriptions
- St. Johns Cemetery, Ft. Mitchell, Tombstone Inscriptions
- St. Joseph, Covington, Kentucky Church Records. Baptisms, 1870
- Death Certificate. City of Covington, Kentucky, 1883, #189
- St. Joseph, Covington, Kentucky Church Records. Baptisms, # 29, page 406
- St. Joseph, Covington, Kentucky Church Records. Baptisms, #134, page 499
- St. Joseph, Covington, Kentucky Church Records. Marriages 1889, # 13, page 59
- 1860 Federal Census. Kenton County, Kentucky, page 32, line 21.
- Newport-Covington City Directory, 1898-99. page 174.
- Obituary, Kentucky Post. September 20, 1930 edition, page 2.
- St. Aloysius Church Records. Covington, Kentucky. Marriage Rocords, page 9 (Theodore ROHLING).
- Obituary, Kentucky Post. April 8, 1921 edition, Page 2.
- Obituary, Kentucky Post. February 16, 1907 edition, page 3.
updated September 15, 1997, Ron Strickley, 203 Ohio Ave, Newport, KY 41071, e-mail: TrainedTec@worldnet.att.net