- 15 April, 2002
- BASW reaches for the SCIE
- BASW are delighted to announce that Gail Tucker, Chair of the Association, has been appointed to the Board of the Social Care Institute for Excellence (SCIE).
SCIE has been established as an independent company and a charity by the Department of Health in England, and by the Welsh Assembly Government. It will collate together the evidence of what works in social care, translate this into a knowledge base for social care, disseminate this knowledge and promote its use in developing policy and practice.
The Board members now appointed are:
- Jane Campbell MBE, SCIE’s Chair
- Ratna Dutt: Director REU (Race Equality Unit)
- Geraldine Macdonald: Professor of Social Work and Applied Studies, University of Bristol
- Diana McNeish: Head of Research and Development, Barnardo’s
- Michael Oliver: Professor of Disability Studies, University of Greenwich
- Terry Philpot: writer on social policy and former editor Community Care
- Gilbert Smith: Professor, former Vice Chancellor of the University of Northumbria
- Roy Taylor: Director of Community Services, Royal Borough of Kingston Upon Thames
- Gail Tucker: UK Chair British Association of Social Workers
- Susannah Walker: a barrister with wide experience in social care
Jane Campbell, Chair of SCIE, comments "I am delighted that SCIE has recruited a strong and rounded team to take the organisation forward in the new landscape of social care. In addition to people who are skilled in converting knowledge into practice, the Board encompasses the experience of service-users, social care practitioners, researchers, managers and communicators. In England and Wales, and hopefully in Northern Ireland, this group will enable SCIE to capture and promote 'Better Knowledge For Better Practice'."
The appointment of the new Board members has also been welcomed by Jacqui Smith, the Minister of Health in England, who said "I am delighted that SCIE has recruited a Board with the right blend of skills and experience to take forward its important role in promoting quality in social care. I welcome the new members and wish them every success".
For further information about SCIE contact SCIE at
1st Floor Goldings House
2 Hay’s Lane
London SE1 2HB
Telephone (020) 7089 6840.
[View News Index] | [Related Link] | [Read Next]