Legislative Decree: 13 May 1926
(Gov. Gaz. 180, issue A', dated 3 Jun. 1926)
The Order of the Phoenix was established in 1926 and is awarded to Greek citizens who have excelled in the fields of public administration, science, arts and letters, commerce, industry and shipping.
It is also conferred upon foreigners who have promoted Greece's stature abroad in the above fields.
The Order is named after the mythical bird Phoenix, which is depicted on the obverse side of the
Star and the Cross. The reverse side bears the emblem of the Hellenic Republic.
The Order consists of five grades or classes.