Main Buffy/Angel/Firefly Ratings Page | First Season
Nielsen Ratings for
Firefly's First Season
National Ratings for the First Season
1. For the 2002-2003 television season, each ratings point represents 1,067,000 households or one percent of the nation's estimated 106.7 million television households. So, for example, a rating of 3.4 means that an average of approximately (3.4 x 1,067,000) = 3,627,800 households were watching Firefly.
2. In the fourth column is the episode's rank among all prime time network shows for the week. For example, 93/112 means that particular episode of Firefly was in 93rd place out of the 112 network prime time shows that week. In the last column is the episode's rank among FOX network shows for the week. For example, 3/10 means that particular episode of Firefly placed 3rd out of the 10 programs on FOX that week. A "(t)" indicates a tie for that position.
3. There is additional information in a second table. The third column of that second table contains the same national household rating as in the first table, but that is followed by the share, both of which are averaged for the entire hour of the episode. Share represents the percentage of households actually watching TV at the time that were in fact watching Firefly. The last two columns contain separate ratings and share for both the first half hour and second half hour of the episode.
After September 22, 2002, the following information is used for the second table: This table contains the ratings data in numbers of millions of people. For example, 4.99 means 4.99 million people were watching Firefly. The third column of the second table contains the average rating for the entire hour of the episode. The last two columns contain the ratings for the first half hour and second half hour of the episode, respectively. Note: The change in presentation of this second table was necessitated by a change in how Variety presents its Nielsen data. (Variety is the magazine used to obtain the data for this second table.) Millions of people is now used instead of household rating/share.
4. If you want to compare Firefly's ratings with those of other shows, check out the latest list of national Nielsen ratings from the San Jose Mercury News.
5. If you want insight into the way that Nielsen ratings are obtained, here is an article entitled What TV Ratings Really Mean from the official site of Nielsen Media Research.
|Date||Episode||National Rating||Rank: All Prime Time Shows|| Rank: All FOX Shows|
|December 20, 2002||Serenity (2-hour Original Pilot)||2.7||88/131 (t)||17/19|
|December 13, 2002||Objects In Space||2.6||96/135||17/17|
|December 6, 2002||War Stories||2.4||99/136 (t)||19/20|
|November 15, 2002||Ariel||2.9||103/136 (t)||22/22|
|November 8, 2002||Safe||2.9||89/127 (t)||18/21|
|November 1, 2002||Shindig||2.8||101/135||19/20|
|October 25, 2002||Out Of Gas||2.9||90/131 (t)||15/15|
|October 18, 2002||Jaynestown||2.7||98/130 (t)||13/14|
|October 4, 2002||Our Mrs. Reynolds||3.3||89/128 (t)||12/12|
|September 27, 2002||Bushwhacked||3.6||78/125 (t)||14/16|
|September 20, 2002||The Train Job (Series Premiere)||4.0||66/119 (t)||14/15|
|Date||Episode||Entire Hour Rating/Share||First Half-Hour Rating/Share||Second Half-Hour Rating/Share|
|December 20, 2002||Serenity (2-hour Original Pilot)||4.20||--||--|
|December 13, 2002||Objects In Space||4.10||--||--|
|December 6, 2002||War Stories||3.85||4.00||3.71|
|November 15, 2002||Ariel||4.49||4.44||4.53|
|November 8, 2002||Safe||4.68||4.99||4.36|
|November 1, 2002||Shindig||4.28||4.52||4.04|
|October 25, 2002||Out Of Gas||4.38||4.50||4.25|
|October 18, 2002||Jaynestown||4.30||4.22||4.39|
|October 4, 2002||Our Mrs. Reynolds||4.87||5.00||4.73|
|September 27, 2002||Bushwhacked||5.47||5.47||5.46|
|September 20, 2002||The Train Job (Series Premiere)||4.0/8||4.0/8||4.0/8|
Overnight Ratings for the First Season
1. The following table contains the overnight household ratings that are based on results from viewing in some of the largest television markets, not the nation as a whole. This means that they cannot be directly compared to the national ratings above. Note that on October 1, 2002, the number of markets used to generate the overnight ratings increased from 53 to 55 with the addition of Knoxville, TN, and Greenville-Spartanburg,SC-Asheville,NC-Anderson,SC. Here is a list of the overnight markets.
2. Firefly's overnight ratings tend to be higher than its corresponding national ratings for a couple of reasons. FOX reaches a higher percentage of households in these larger markets than in the nation as a whole because FOX lacks affiliates in some of the smaller markets. In addition, Firefly just tends to do better in these larger, urban markets.
3. Starting October 1, 2002, each overnight ratings point represents 735,454 households or one percent of the estimated 73,545,430 TV households in the 55 overnight markets. From September 21, 2002 to September 30, 2002, each overnight ratings point represented 722,637 households or one percent of the estimated 72,263,610 TV households in the 53 overnight markets. Before September 21, 2002, each overnight ratings point represented 717,311 households or one percent of the estimated 71,731,090 TV households in the 53 overnight markets. Share is the percentage of households in these markets actually watching TV at the time that were in fact watching Firefly.
4. If you want to compare Firefly's performance to the other programs that aired that evening, click on the date. This will take you to the Mediaweek or Futon Critic writeup of the overnight ratings for all the network shows that aired that night.
5. Note: The Overnight ratings for the October 4, 2002 episode of Firefly are not indicative of the actual rating since they include the ratings for baseball playoff games in the New York and Los Angeles markets along with the ratings for Firefly in the other overnight markets. The national ratings are a better indicator of Firefly's rating for this week.
|December 20, 2002||Serenity (2-hour Original Pilot)||2.9/5|
|December 13, 2002||Objects In Space||2.8/5|
|December 6, 2002||War Stories||3.1/5|
|November 15, 2002||Ariel||3.0/5|
|November 8, 2002||Safe||3.1/5|
|November 1, 2002||Shindig||3.3/5|
|October 25, 2002||Out Of Gas||3.2/5|
|October 18, 2002||Jaynestown||3.4/6|
|October 4, 2002||Our Mrs. Reynolds||5.1/8|
|September 27, 2002||Bushwhacked||4.3/7|
|September 20, 2002||The Train Job (Series Premiere)||4.9/8|
Main Buffy/Angel/Firefly Ratings Page | First Season