603 W 13th St
Phone: 512 657-9157
Fax: 800 884-9652
Twenty-one years of new-technology vision, management and programming experience.
(this is the technical, not the business resume)
9/00 – 8/01 Manager, Accenture Inc
· Technology strategy and design work for eCRM, online collaborative software, clustered processor mini-supercomputer, multi-terrabyte clustered database applications.
4/98 – 9/00 Owner, Terrabyte Consulting
· Wrote C++/Corba /PHP/mySQL based web site tester with dedicated back-end server.
· Wrote up-time monitor residing in Windows tool tray.
· Wrote ad-sifting HTTP proxy with SSL tunneling.
· Wrote self-extracting executable maker with LZ compression for web delivery.
· Wrote FTP uploader that redirects web pages to a dynamic-ip page.
· Picture thumbnail maker for personal pages.
· Improved version of Microsoft’s OCX registering software regsvr32.
10/98 – 4/00 Owner, Terrabyte Consulting
· This consulting was primarily large-scale management.
· Advised Canadian ISP on structure, ASP opportunities. Assisted negotiation.
· Wrote Risk Management SQL database, improving dept. efficiency 30%
· In spare time, wrote HTTP v1.1 web server
· Created distributed ecommerce marketing platform to integrate sales directly with applications.
5/98 – 10/98 New Technology Producer, Eclipse Entertainment, Inc.
Parts of this work are still under NDA
· Microsoft internet libraries including wininet and urlmon.
· Windows COM and ActiveX protocols, plus integration with MSIE4.0
· Internet streaming techniques for moving most-relevant data to client machines in order.
· Managed three technology demos, plus streaming design and the development of compression for 2D, 3D and audio data.
8/95 – 4/98 President, Titanic Entertainment, Inc.
For the project “Torment,” a 3D hardware accelerated action title,
· Coordinated the design of all technical and artistic aspects of the game.
· Ran the team to create a demo with varying LoD, morphing, dynamically lit terrain and 3D animated flying and running characters.
For the project “NetStorm,” a latency tolerant Internet game (available upon request)
· Ran the project from inception to completion, coordinating programmers, artists, in-house and online quality assurance, localization into three languages, 3rd party sound and music contractors, and the creation of six servers world-wide. The project used C++, 80586 assembly and Perl on both Win95 (clients) and Linux (servers).
· Prepared all documentation, design specifications and schedules for the project.
· Co-designed kernel-based latency-tolerant rapid transaction and prediction process system.
· Wrote fair-play artificial intelligence for the units.
· Implemented HTML interpreter which included the ability to define in-script variables and manipulate them to act on simple conditionals.
· Wrote sound layer above Microsoft Direct Sound.
· Implemented particle systems for fire, smoke, explosions, reverse-disintegration and clouds.
· Devised specialized 16:1 compression systems to minimize data transfer over modems.
· Wrote least-distance path finding across unstable graphs.
· Implemented CD checksum and virus detection program for consumers to validate disks.
4/95 – 7/95 New Technology Co-Director, Origin Inc. an Electronic Arts Company
Co-directed with Zack Simpson (my future partner in Titanic Entertainment) to manage the growing technology needs of game developer Origin Systems, a 300 person company. All code was C++.
· Organized the seven member “Online Scouts” to document competition on the Internet.
· Created proof of concept for Ultima Online by hacking Ultima VI code.
· Managed tool creation for new technology products.
· Created tools including pkzip-like compresser, IFF file manager, virtual file system
· Wrote text-based, networked bug tracking system.
· Created Voxel-based terrain system. (hobby)
· Created simulation of macrophage (cell) combat and breeding (hobby).
2/93 – 3/95 Director of BioForge, Origin Inc.
Conceived and created the product “BioForge” managing a core team of ten from inception to ship. Localized into four languages. The project used a DOS 386 extender and was C++ and 80x86 assembly.
· Wrote exchangeable-skeleton and single-skin animation system with real-time linear interpolation between poses using fully texture-mapped figures.
· Designed 3d animation and world management scripting system plus compiler.
· Created pose editor called “Salsa” including real-time display of fully rendered character as data was gathered from the “Flock of Birds” on-body electro-magnetic detection system.
· Created system to parse 2D scenes from 3D renders and position, sort and detect collision of 3D characters within the scene.
· Implemented compression that saved company $50,000 in shipped media costs.
· Maintained various code libraries for rendering, file management, music, art formats, etc.
· Wrote tool to augment scandisk and detect internal circular FAT references in files.
· Wrote Terminate and Stay Resident (TSR) program to take VGA screen snapshots.
· Invented text-based window management and display system, fairly similar to HTML.
· Modeled natural selection code for single-celled organisms. (hobby)
· Wrote flowing-water simulation (hobby)
· Created high-speed rendering engine for texture-mapped tubular structures. (hobby)
6/92 – 2/93 No Title, Origin Inc.
Produced the Ultima VII add-on “Forge of Virtue” with a team of three. Wrote foundation code for future 3D efforts with a small team.
· Discovered B-Step 80386 processor bug manifestation in Ultima VII. Created b-step detection tool to ship with future products.
· Wrote many core libraries to overcome the shortcomings of DOS for supporting games. Libraries were used on four other Origin products.
· Created patch program to modify the distributed executable of Ultima VII and “add in” a new island and entirely new characters, puzzles and dialog.
12/90 – 5/92 Lead Programmer Ultima VII, Origin Inc.
Managed coding of U7’s then-revolutionary game engine and integration with world builders and art team. Introduced C++ to Origin. The U7 engine was later re-used to create the sequel “Serpent Isle.”
· Created and maintained core libraries for palettes, virtual file management and more. Set coding goals and schedules.
· Wrote caching systems for extremely large world and art databases.
· Implemented translucency code for cloud shadows, stained glass windows and more.
· Set standards for game engine creation. Educated team about C++ benefits and usage.
6/90 – 11/90 Programmer Wing Commander I, Origin Inc.
Wrote Ship Intelligence, ship controls, asteroid fields and more for the original Wing Commander.
· Wrote goal and maneuver based artificial intelligence for missions, capitol ships, enemy fighters and wing men.
· Created asteroid fields and collision and dodging routines.
· Implemented user interface and HUD routines and display mechanisms.
· Completed save/load and in-base graphics.
· Created navigation system with dynamic label placement.
4/88 – 5/90 President, Demarest Consulting
Ran a one-man contract consulting firm with clients such as Johnson and Johnson Inc, Party City Franchises and Ohaus Scale Corp. Sold the business in 1990.
· Created complete custom inventory database and reporting system for Party City Franchises.
· Invented integrated weighing system for Johnson and Johnson sausage weighing process.
· Worked on team creating integrated weighing applications for Shedd’s Spread margarine.
9/84 – 5/89 Degree in English and Sociology from University of Vermont.
Spent a lot of time coding. Took a semester off to found Demarest Consulting.
· Created overhead, 2D space battle and exploration game in my free time.
· Wrote rogue-like ascii-based dungeon delving game with randomly generated levels, monsters and treasure.
5/84 – 5/89 Early job experiences
· Worked for a summer at AT&T using their RAMAS databasing and reporting software
· Worked through highschool writing applications and entering all class scheduling on a Wang 2000 minicomputer.
12/79 – 8/84 Hacker, Demarest Home
· Started writing code the moment I got my TRS-80 with 4K and a cassette tape drive.
Hobbies: Rock climbing, SCUBA diving, cycling