Hollywood Casting Couch behavior finally being held accountable

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Nichi Bei Times Discussion Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ichiro Group on January 25, 19103 at 22:53:30:

Here's a great message for all those aspiring Japanese American women and Asian American women who aspire to be actresses (or even those who are aspiring database engineers working for Oracle!)...

Hollywood's 'Casting Couch' Vulnerable to Lawsuits
Saturday, January 25, 2003

LOS ANGELES In the wake of the Catholic Church sex scandal, lawyers are using newfound legal tools to go after another high profile enterprise the entertainment industry.

Lawyers are specifically focusing on years of rumors swirling around the so-called "casting couch," which refers to the practice of making aspiring starlets put out before they could get their name in lights.

Now, thanks to a change in the California law, some say it's payback time.

"I'm targeting the entertainment industry," attorney Raymond Boucher told Fox News. "I'm coming to them and saying, 'You know what, if you can't clean it up, I'm going to use every ounce of the law and all the power that we have to help you decide to clean it up.'"

Boucher recently filed suit against the Elite modeling agency founder John Casablancas, on behalf of a former model who claims the executive had sex with her 15 years ago when she was 14 impregnated her, and arranged for her to terminate her pregnancy.

While talk about such sexual harassment has riddled Hollywood's history, some in the industry say the rumors are exaggerated and that such incidents no longer occur.

"I think that stuff dates back to the studio system," said Gary Zuckerbrod, president of the casting society of America. "I think those are the myths that Hollywood has surrounding it, but I don't think it actually exists."

But Boucher said such denials are attempts to sweep the dirty little secret under the rug.

"I think it's an understatement to say that this stuff has been going on for years," he said. "It's not only been going on for years, it's been condoned, and in many respects, it's expected behavior."

For full text:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,76586,00.html

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Nichi Bei Times Discussion Board ] [ FAQ ]