- Temper's Ball
- Writers Corner

( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
Author Space
JoJo the Magic Sheep
Tiram

Posted: 2002-07-01 19:21     Profile;   Homepage Edit   Reply w/Quote
Sylvia felt Lazzy begin to tense up and shake, so that by the time Edward's comments on differences came to a head, she had to dig her nails into his skin to contain him.
"Like hell you're leaving me behind. I'm not just a cook and you know it."
"What about me and Doddy, eh? What about us?"
"We should stay, Pip. We'd only make more noise."
"Especially you," Andre muttered to himself.
"Well I isn't just a clean-up crewson neither and I want to go!"
"Pip..."
"I want to go!"
As the two debated, without anyone else getting a word in edgewise, Lazzy whispered through clenched teeth into Sylvia's ear. "I'm going to kill that bastard one of these days, I swear to God!"
She put up her finger for silence, making sure Mantella was preoccupied with Pip's display.
"One of these days," she whispered back. "But not today."

Now all I want is twenty dollars on pump number fifteen and a sour fruity twist, is that too much to ask?

~"The Dodd hath spoken."~

IP: Logged

Mantella
Ominar

Posted: 2002-07-01 21:24     Profile;   E-mail   Homepage Edit   Reply w/Quote
Edward sighed.
"Fine, come if you like, it's your choice."
He had barely finished the sentance when Pip and Goddard broke out into arguement. Edward tried to say something, but when Pip argued that was virtually impossible. After a moment he grew weary of the dispute. He placed a large hand on Pip's shoulder, squeezing slightly. When she became silent he spoke.
"While I'm sure you could both be helpful here, I need all the guns I can out there, even though we don't plan on shooting right now, it may be unavoidable."
He took another slug from the flask, and then tossed it back to Phil, empty.
"We go now."

WARNING: TOXIC - DO NOT EAT
CAUTION FLAMABLE
KEEP AWAY FROM SMALL CHILDREN
The Most Violent of the RIG

JoJo the Magic Sheep
Tiram

Posted: 2002-07-20 20:53     Profile;   Homepage Edit   Reply w/Quote
Pip did a little jump-step, exposing her tiny white teeth in a smile. "See, Doddy?"
He rolled his eyes. "I suppose so."
They began to follow Mantella out of the reactor room, but Laszlo took their shoulders from behind. "Oh, no you don't. I don't care what he says, you're staying here."
"What?"
"Pip, listen to Goddard for once in your life! You're just going to make noise and..."
"It's ok," Goddard interrupted. "We're going to stay here."
Lazzy gave him a look of gratitude and released their shoulders. "Thanks," he said, and began to run after Mantella, Sylvia, and the two raiders, who were seemingly unaware of the conversation behind them.
After the door had closed, Pip wrenched her arm from her friend's loose grasp and sat on the floor. "Wha'd you have to go and agree wiv him for, Doddy?"
"They needed stealth."
"Impossible with you around..." Andre smirked.
"You got somethin' to say to me?"
He shook his head and returned to cleaning his fingernails.
Pip turned back to her companion. "What do we do now?" she asked.
"Hopscotch?"
The little woman looked as if she were about to explode, but Goddard, as usual, held her back. "Why don't we make ourselves useful by getting out of the way?"
She looked up at him, her look of fury fading to one of reluctant agreement.

Now all I want is twenty dollars on pump number fifteen and a sour fruity twist, is that too much to ask?

Mantella
Ominar

Posted: 2002-07-31 19:02     Profile;   E-mail   Homepage Edit   Reply w/Quote
A short way down the hall Edward glanced back to the group behind him. It was two fewer than he had expeced, and he had a fair idea as to the reason. He stopped, and let the others walk ahead of him, resuming his stride when Laszlo was next to him. He faced forward, but spoke to the man at his side.
"Your opinion is respected Laszlo, you are an important recource to me, that is after all why you are still alive, but do not forget that your position on this ship is no longer one of power. And so hence forth I request..." By request of course, he meant command "...that you make suggestions, not commands. I trust you understand."
Without waiting for a response he spead up his pace, and returned to the front of the group.

CAUTION FLAMABLE

Enidriel
Siquan

Posted: 2002-08-07 21:11     Profile;   Homepage Edit   Reply w/Quote
Sorry, wrong alt, dammit.

"Of course I understand," Laszlo called after Mantella. "But do you?"
Sylvia looked over at him. "What are you doing?" she whispered.
He whispered back, "I was looking out for the group's best interest. They would have been in the way."
She pursed her lips and glanced at Mantella, hoping he had ignored the reply. "Just keep a lower profile, ok? Keep as you're doing and you'll kill us both."
"So now you're giving orders?" he snickered.
That was the last straw for Sylvia Morrison. She was tired of his attitude. "I don't need this!" she spat. She sped up as well, until she was walking closer to Mantella, fuming. Laszlo was at a loss, too shocked to speak.
"What'd I do?" he asked.

And Goddard watched, his fingers at his temples.

Maybe it's fair to say there was a lack of communication. I took a phone mesage (I am speaking of communication!) oh, and Enid? Enid, you caught a cold."

[ This Message was edited by: Enidriel on 2002-08-07 21:13 ]

Mantella
Ominar

Posted: 2002-08-08 17:13     Profile;   E-mail   Homepage Edit   Reply w/Quote
Edward glanced over his shoulder to Sylvia, who was clearly quite upset, and then further back to Laszlo, who was clearly quite confused. The captain snickered and shook his head stupid kids
The quiet march down the coridors of the ship was unguided, the beast could have been anywhere on the rather large ship, but it was not long before they found a clue to guide them. They air in the hall had become laiden with a foul sent. The strengthing aroma lead them to what they searched for, and as they turned a corner, they found it, although perhaps it would have been better had they not. The alien creature was down near the other end of the hall, it's back to them, hunched over the bodies of it's two victomes from earlier. The sent was nausiating, and steam rose into the ever chilling air of the ship from the mangled bodies. The creature was intent on it;s mean and did not notice those who watched. One of the raiders who had come with them could take no more, he turned and ran. Jean moved to chase him, but Edward waved to let him go... a coward such as that would be no use to them anyway.

CAUTION FLAMABLE

JoJo the Magic Sheep
Tiram

Posted: 2002-08-08 17:52     Profile;   Homepage Edit   Reply w/Quote
Lazzy couldn't see anything from where he was behind the rest of the group, but he knew immediately why they had stopped. The smell was sickening, and he held up the corner of his jacket over his nose and mouth to block out the stench. He gently nudged his way to the front.
The creature was practically swallowing the manflash whole. It had created a gaping hole in the stomach of the first man, and was working on the second, oblivious to everything else.
But perhaps that was a good thing, because this was too much for Laszlo. He felt himself gag, and had just enough time to turn around before he vomited.

Goddard snickered, and it didn't go past his comrade.
"What is it, Doddy?" Pip asked.
"They found the monster," he told her. Andre turned an attent ear.
"Why's that funny?"
"It's not. Mister Beckert just threw up all over one of the raider's shoes."
Pip broke into hysterical laughter, but it was broken by a question.
"How do you know they found the monster?" Andre asked.
Pip intercepted. "Ah, he's got the sight, see? Up here." She pointed to her head.
The raider only shook his head.

Mantella
Ominar

Posted: 2002-08-08 18:19     Profile;   E-mail   Homepage Edit   Reply w/Quote
Mantella was rather displeased when Laszlo vomited, although it did not come as a surprise, the scene was certainly disgusting, and he was fortunate enough to have a strong composer, and Jean, was an ex-military man, not easily shaken, Phil on the other hand had passed out. The captain could tell that the raider who's shoes had caught the puke was far from pleased as well, and was about to respond to it in a loud fashion, but Mantella caped his hand over the man;s mouth, and kept it there until he calmed down, shouts would not be a good thing at such a time.
Jean pulled Phil back up to his feet, and shook him back to a state of conciousness, shortly after which the short man grabbed hold of Jean's shirt, and whispered loudly.
"I'm too pretty to die... and too rich... we gotta get rid of that thing."
The ships owner was breating heavily, clearly afraid, Jean shook him again, until he calmed some.
As the biologist began to compose himself, Edward turned to him.
"Well? Any ideas?"

Ross and Gil tried to ignor the converstaion between the raider and the janitors, as the continued to work on the reactor.

CAUTION FLAMABLE

JoJo the Magic Sheep
Tiram

Posted: 2002-08-09 16:24     Profile;   Homepage Edit   Reply w/Quote
As he wiped vomit from around the corners of his mouth, Lazzy looked back at the creature and pondered what was to be done with it. They had tried bullets on that thing? You've got to be shitting me, he thought to himself. He brought up memories, looking for a solution. Memories of working at the ISA, and the Discovery Channel, and the dog that had to be put down when it bit him years ago. He had been three, and there was still a faded scar on the back of his leg from the bite which few had seen.
He turned away from his thoughts and began to examine the creature, slightly distracted by the crew's stare. It started to rush him, but it made him feel important, so he gave his expert opinion with an authoritative stance. After all, he was starting to remember this experiment done with C34X...
"Acid," he said at last. "Acid kills anything, or at least frightens it a bit. If it doesnt kill it all the way, we can chase it to the compression chamber in the cargo bay and send it back into space where it came from."
There was a moment's silence, in which Sylvia shook her head.
"That's all well and good, but where are you going to get acid?" she asked. "Eddie?" She cocked her head and looked at the captain, waiting to see what he'd say.

Mantella
Ominar

Posted: 2002-08-09 19:45     Profile;   E-mail   Homepage Edit   Reply w/Quote
Edward glared at Sylvia a moment... he hated being called Eddie, and she knew it.
"We've stolen just about anything you can think of, so there is a good chance we have some sort of acid in the cargo bay. Ross would know where to find it, he's got all that stuff in his data base." Edward tapped his skull. "We'll just have to..."
Edward's speach was cut short when he saw Phil turn and run.
"What the hell."
He turned to find that the beast had taken notice of them, it hadn't been very wise to stand so near discussing their buisness for so long. It was nearly upon them. They turned and began to run from the thing yet again. The one raider still with them, his name unknown to Edward, was the furthest back and the monster caught up with him with ease, but it did not attack, it sprayed him, as it had the other earlier. And dragged him off. Edward fired a few shots off at the thing, for good measure, on ricocheted off the floor and knicked the unconcious man being dragged away. It was not long before they were back in the reactor room with the others.

CAUTION FLAMABLE

JoJo the Magic Sheep
Tiram

Posted: 2002-08-13 18:13     Profile;   Homepage Edit   Reply w/Quote
Pip snapped her head in the direction of the returning party as they ran in and shut the door quickly behind them. They were in various states of nervous panic, least shaken of course being Mantella and working the way down to Phil and Laszlo, who shivered wildly.
"That thing could have killed me!" he cried. "Did you see that thing, Sylvia? Did you see it?"
She nodded a little, then slid to the floor and put her head in her hands. She looked tired, and she was quietly taking in deep breaths, on the brink of a heart attack but never daring to show any such thing.
Pip, meanwhile, had not stopped asking questions. "You all right, Sylv? Wha' happened?"
Sylvia shook her head again, trying to recover her composure. A few seconds later she looked up again at the people of the reactor room. Lazzy had turned his initial fear into a strange kind of excitement, as if his brush with death had awakened him somehow. "It was right there, you know? I could... I could see the veins in its teeth and... and Sylvia, did you see it? Sylvia?"
She raised her head slightly to show him he had her attention. He leaned down to her and put a hand on her back. "Are you ok?" he asked softly.
"I'm supposed to be mad at you," she muttered. "And I still am. But Jeez, Laszlo, I'm a cook, for Chrissake. The most I should be dodging is a runaway collander or something, not crazy aliens and stray bullets."
"It wasn't that close of a call."
"I know. And you notice I'm not too badly shaken, it's just... the logic of it that's starting to get to me and... I dunno quite what I'm saying yet. I'll get back to you when I don't want to beat your brains in." She smiled at him slightly when she said this, to let him know she wasn't completely serious.
He nodded and stood, knowing it was time to leave her well enough alone. He turned to the others, but looked at Mantella. "Now what?" he asked.

Mantella
Ominar

Posted: 2002-08-13 18:53     Profile;   E-mail   Homepage Edit   Reply w/Quote
Back in the safety of the reactor room once more Edward got straight down to buisness. Speaking with Ross.
"I need you to look through our inventory directory. We're looking for acid of some sort."
The cyborg nodded and his expresion faded to a blank stare as he accessed the data banks of the computer half of his brain. He snapped out of it a few brief seconds later, with a flutter of blinks.
"I think we got something that should work, we have got a crate of industrial chemical called. Klithatrine 392. I've never heard of it, but it's marked highly corrosive, so it should do the trick. You'll find it at 34*17*02"
"Good"
As Mantella's conversation with the tech ended he heard Laszlo's question.
"Now what?"
"Now we go to get the acid."
The still shaken Phil spoke up. [green]"Fuck that! There's no way I'm going out there again, Eddie!"[/red]
"Fine... I think Jean, Laszlo and I should be able to handle this one, unless anyone else would like to join us."

CAUTION FLAMABLE

JoJo the Magic Sheep
Tiram

Posted: 2002-08-14 17:10     Profile;   Homepage Edit   Reply w/Quote
Andre raised a hand and stood from where he was leaning on some piece of equipment. "I'll go," he said. "You may need an extra gun."
Pip also prepared to volunteer, but Goddard put a hand over her mouth before she had the chance to speak.
"Coming, Sylv?"
She shook her head and hugged her knees to her chest.

[ This Message was edited by: JoJo the Magic Sheep on 2002-08-14 17:12 ]

Mantella
Ominar

Posted: 2002-08-14 20:18     Profile;   E-mail   Homepage Edit   Reply w/Quote
"Verywell, lets go then, the sooner I get this damn thing off my ship the happier I'll be."
With that they left the sactuarry of the thick walled reactor room. As they began to walk down the halls Edward spoke to Laszlo, although he kept his eyes forward.
"One thing bothers me about that last scene. Why'd that thing spray before, then maul, and now it's spraying again. There must be a reason... any thoughts?"

Ross watched them leave again, and then looked over to Sylvia. She seemed a bit shook up, although it was in a more subtle way than Phil or Laszlo. It made him glad that he had been told to stay behind, even though his brother didn't really did his help. He walked over to the cook.
[yellow]"You alright Sylvia?"[/yellow}

CAUTION FLAMABLE

JoJo the Magic Sheep
Tiram

Posted: 2002-08-15 17:47     Profile;   Homepage Edit   Reply w/Quote
Goddard, in his mind, focused on Laszlo's reply, which was obviously meant as a bit of an ironic joke.
"It's smart," he said, but after a look from Mantella, he confessed, "I don't know. I remember hearing something about babies... maybe it needs live prey for the offspring? Or maybe it just wants to paralyze its victim for easier consumtion without losing the zing of freshness. To be honest, I would have loved to study one of these things at the ISA. Under any different circumstances finding that thing would have been a dream come true. But right now? I don't care what it does or why, I just want it dead. And I think we can all agree to that."

Goddard did agree, but was interrupted by Pip accidentally bumping his arm. "Sorry, Doddy," she said, before returning to picking at her shoe.

Meanwhile, Sylvia wiped the moisture from underneath her eyes and nodded. "Yeah, Ross, I'll be all right, it's just... nothing. I don't want to burden you with my problems." He looked as if he was about to say something sympathetic, but she went on anyway. "It's just everything, you know? Like the, 'What am I doing with my life?' kind of problem. It's just everything at once. It's Laszlo and Eddie and my messed-up childhood and what was I thinking going into this crazy line of work even though they say it finds you, you don't find it you still go with it and im starting to worry I'll never have that normal fairy tale life my grandma always wanted for me and I'm going to end up alone in some cold cargo bay wearing this same old dingy grey sweater!"
She looked up, and, realizing she had said too much, apologized. "I'm sorry, Ross. I just... I just can't talk to Lazzy about these kinds of things, you know? He can be such a self-absorbed asshole sometimes. ...Thanks for listening."
She smiled and sniffled, wiping another stray tear from her eye.

Mantella
Ominar

Posted: 2002-08-15 19:06     Profile;   E-mail   Homepage Edit   Reply w/Quote
Mantella listened to Laszlo's reply. He didn't bother to reply, just continued to think about it as they walked.
The babies were all dead though right, could it have layed another egg?
That would have to be dealt with, but not untill after the mother was gone.
They made it to the cargo hold without incident, and it was not long after that, that Edward had found the the crate Ross had informed him of. It opened with a hiss of depresurization. The crate was mostly padding. There was but one small vile in the very center, contianing a greenish tinted liquid. Certainly an odd way for packing chemicles. And it made Edward worried about using it on his ship. But after quickly scanning through the documentation with it he saw no risks exept his heavily corrosive porperties. He grabbed the vile, and handed it to Laszlo.
"Let's go."

Ross listened to Sylvia's reply. He nodded with a reassuring smile.
"Anytime you need to talk, I'm here."
"Hey Ross, I need a hand for a sec."
Ross turned away from Sylvia to help Gil.

CAUTION FLAMABLE

JoJo the Magic Sheep
Tiram

Posted: 2002-08-16 19:05     Profile;   Homepage Edit   Reply w/Quote
Lazzy examined the acid while he walked, proud that he had been trusted with the vial. Many things were going through his mind, though none of them really involved the task at hand, and there was a new lift to his stride. He was useful, and efficient, and no longer Ex-Navigator Beckert, but reinstated Navigator Beckert, in command again.
They got to the place where the monster had chased them back to the reactor room. It was not there, but Andre, who had not seen the carnage, looked down at the bodies with ultimate disgust. Jeus Christ," he muttered. "And you think that that is going to kill what did this?" He pointed to the vial that Laszlo held in his hands.
"If we use it right."
Andre just shook his head, muttering something like, "ISA my ass..."
Laszlo looked down at the acid, and he thought about Sylvia.

She, meanwhile, was now recovered and had leaned back on the wall behind her to look around the room. Ross is a nice guy, she thought. Why can't I get involved with nice guys? But as much as she tried to make herself stay mad at Lazzy, the more she just couldn't. What had he really done anyway, other than be an asshole in general? That was in his nature, and he couldn't help his nature. She sighed, gave up, and turned to Goddard.
"What's the Fantastic Four up to?" she asked, propping her head in her left hand.

[ This Message was edited by: JoJo the Magic Sheep on 2002-08-16 19:06 ]

Mantella
Ominar

Posted: 2002-08-16 20:32     Profile;   E-mail   Homepage Edit   Reply w/Quote
Edward watched Laszlo carefully as they stalked the halls in the search of the alien beast. His walk was beging to develop an overconfident air about it, almost cocky. The captain thought of commenting on it, but it was not the time for such a thing.
It was not far from the site of the earilier meeting with the unwanted guest on the ship, did they find said guest. It appeared to be asleep, or at least resting, and not looking in their direction, very fotunate for them.
Mantella looked over to Laszlo, and put a hand on his shoulder.
"Good luck."
The words were accompanied by what might have been a reasuring smile, or might have been a cruel smirk, it was immpossible to tell.

CAUTION FLAMABLE

Rosencrantz
Tiram

Posted: 2002-08-18 15:53     Profile;   E-mail   Homepage Edit   Reply w/Quote
The cyborg rubbed the jack port in his arm, the increasingly cold air on the ship was maching it ache, he felt bad for his brother, who had much more metal in his body than he did. Gil's entire arms were probably acheing.
"What do you need?"
"Access the reactors computer and run a reset protocal."
Ross linked to the machine and quickly did it, before turning back to his brother.
"You could have done that manually."
"I know, but I was doing you a favor, I don't think it's a good idea to try and get involved with her."
Ross look at his twin.
"Jeez Gil, you're starting to sound like and older brother. Besides, I think you're misinterpretting the situation. She's clearly been through a lot, I was just showing a little human compasion. Part of my brain may be a computer, but I am still human Gil."
Gil sighed. "Whatever you say Ross."
They both returned to their work.

[ This Message was edited by: Rosencrantz on 2002-08-18 15:55 ]

JoJo the Magic Sheep
Tiram

Posted: 2002-08-19 17:19     Profile;   Homepage Edit   Reply w/Quote
Laszlo began to protest, but then he thought, No, it should be me, shouldn't it? Hell, I'm expendable, and I know how these things work, and I have the acid... He nodded, his determination starting to build. And if I die, I died trying.
He looked at the snake, then at the acid, and unscrewed the top. The container had been made of some special material that he had never seen before, and he prayed that the monster wasn't made of something similar. He dropped the lid on the floor.
As he approached the monster, he thought of the best place to drop the acid. There wasn't much of it, so he would have to choose a place and stick to it, his first choice being the head. The only problem with that was, what if its brain wasn't in its head? As stupid as it sounded, Lazzy knew that it was possible. So his next choice was the neck, but if he decided on the neck, he would have to move fast, in case the acid wasn't strong enough or quick enough. Strong enough. How strong was this acid?
He stopped and looked down at his shoe, not wanting to be distracted, but needing to know the potency of the acid. Then he looked at his watch, deciding it was cheap and that he didn't need it too badly. He took it off, placed it on the floor, and placed one drop of acid on the face.
He gasped as the face melted away, along with part of the band and a small crater in the surface of the floor. Whoa... he thought to himself. It's strong enough, all right. But I have no more time to waste.
He continued up towards the monster, approaching it from behind. Its breathing was deep and loud, and Lazzy was pleased that he could not hear his own footsteps. If he could just keep it from waking up...
He was past the front legs now, and still the monster kept breathing. To the neck... he was almost there... standing now above the neck. He could see the creature's face, it's eyes closed, its teeth hanging over its lower jaw. He watched the thing's face as he raised the bottle, and began to tip it. He was almost there, he knew he was almost there when the breathing suddenly stopped, and Lazzy froze, dread overtaking him. To his, and indeed to everyone's horror, the eyes had opened and the creature was coming to life.

( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
Lock this TopicMove this Topic Delete this Topic
Contact Us       Evernight Games

Copyright © 2001 TidalMark, Inc.