The Institute for Research in Human Happiness and Master Ryuho Okawa
(The Institute for Research in Human Happiness)
The Principles of Happiness
Love is for Giving
The Eightfold Path - a Method of Reflection
The Law of Cause and Effect
Creating a Utopia on earth
Need to Spread the Light of Salvation Throughout the World
Buddha's Truth Will Unify All
Profile of Master Ryuho Okawa
The monthly Message
(The Institute for Research in Human Happiness)
- Kofuku-no-Kagaku, the Institute for Research in Human Happiness, is a group of people le who are dedicated to the vision of creating an ideal world upon the earth. By cultivating and developing their minds through wisdom and love, they are committed to spread the light of Truth throughout the world.
The teachings of Kofuku-no-Kagaku are based on the spirit of Buddhism and focus on the attainment of wisdom and the practice of "love that gives." Members learn of these things by reading and attending lectures and seminars that deal with acquiring the knowledge necessary for traveling upon the true path across life and the world. Through daily meditation they reflect upon themselves, gaining a deepened understanding of life, ultimately building characters of virtue so that they may guide people into happiness and contribute powerfully to the development of society and the world.
- The Principles of Happiness
- There are four principles of happiness: love, knowledge, reflection and development. First give love to others without expectation of anything in return. Second, attain knowledge so that your wisdom is deepened. The knowledge of the Truth is "nourishment for the soul" and without it, the human spirit cannot grow in the right direction. Next, reflect on your thoughts and deeds through meditation to maintain the purity of your mind. Finally, strive to improve yourself and contribute to the development of society and the entire world. This is the modern Fourfold Path that leads to true happiness and the creation of an ideal world on earth.
- Love is for Giving
- The essence of love is in giving. Love that creates happiness is "love that gives," a love that expects nothing in return; to ask for a reward is contrary to the true nature of love. To truly give is to live every day thinking about how to make as many people as happy as possible. It is to bestow the light o of love and mercy upon all people; it is to save them from a life of suffering and devastation, giving them instead one of wisdom and courage.
Give wisely; the granting of material things is not only form of giving. Being indiscriminately charitable is not necessarily true giving. In the true sense giving is the way to nurture people, and to accomplish that, we need wisdom. Using the wisdom and courage, live a life of unconditional love.
As long as you perceive love as something to receive from others, you will never know happiness. If you really want to experience joy, you must put yourself in the position of giving love. Since grumbling, complaining and submitting to empty desires are all the "love that takes," completely change your focus and begin to love.
- The Eightfold Path - a Method of Reflection
- Originally, we all are inhabitants of the spirit world, the Real World, but on coming down to earth, we lose the memories where we have come from. We live in this world mainly relying on our surface consciousness, and this makes it difficult for us to keep our minds free of impurities. Therefore, we must reflect on ourselves and cleanse our minds, thus regaining our original natures.
The Eightfold Path originally taught by Shakyamuni Buddha m India about 2,500 years ago, Is a method of purifying our thoughts and deeds according to the values of the Real World and restore the radiance of our true selves. By following this path, we can wash away the impurities of the mind, shine our divine nature, and deepen our understanding of life.
- The Law of Cause and Effect
- Everything has a cause and an effect. Therefore it is the Law of cause and effect that governs the universe. In Buddhist tradition, this law is called "the law of causality," which states that life is based upon the sequence of cause-condition-result-reward; first there is a cause, then follows the condition (or indirect cause) producing the fruit (or the result) and leading to the reward.
All things including humanity are subject to this law. It can also be termed "the principle of self responsibility"; you must take responsibility for your present condition. If you are suffering now, there must be a reason, and by carefully examining your past, you can discover what it is. Once you have found the cause, you can remove it and correct your way of life.
You must observe things correctly in accordance with the law of causality. The results you receive depend on the seeds you have sown and the way in which you have tended them. The degree of success and failure in your life depends on your own efforts; you can forge your destiny, without being bound by fate or circumstances.
- Human beings are spiritual beings with a spiritual energy called the soul, which has a form that mirrors exactly the shape of the physical body. We possess eternal, immortal life and transmigrate between this world and the other world (Real World) for the purpose of soul training. When you leave this world some years from now, you will leave your physical body and return to the other world.
Because we are not merely physical existences living in this world, we should pursue the sort of happiness that connects with the happiness of the other world as well. When you die, nothing but the mind, the core of the soul, can be taken back to the spirit world. Therefore, nothing should be of more importance than the refinement and elevation of your mind while you live on earth.
- Creating a Utopia on earth
- We are born into this world for the purpose of achieving two goals: the first is to train our souls for spiritual growth and the second is to create an ideal society, a Utopia on earth.
Whether or not we are happy depends on the level of progress in our lives we make each day. Happiness does not lie in stagnation, but found in the process of development. The journey we undertake is of infinite growth toward Buddha and of eternal self-improvement.
Utopia must first be created in the mind; it begins within each one of us and as more people join together, there emerges an ideal world. We are committed to creating a world where people live in harmony, love and trust each other on the basis of the principles of love, knowledge, reflection and development.
- Need to Spread the Light of Salvation Throughout the World
- Today, we approach the end of the century, many catastrophes - wars, earthquakes, floods, plagues, terrorism - are taking place all over the world. The true cause of these calamities lies in the minds of people living on earth; they are overflowing with greed, hatred, belligerence, disrespect for others and lust for money, position, power, attachment to property, and so on.
It is our wish that everyone in the world to learn of Kofuku-no-Kagaku, a movement for hope led by Master Ryuho Okawa. It is a movement that is supported by people of pure heart who have awakened to the Truth and are emitting the light of salvation. We are committed to bringing the teachings to a greater number of people changing level of awareness of humankind and creating a bright future for the earth.
- Buddha's Truth Will Unify All
- Kofuku-no-Kagaku teaches that all religions are one stemming from the same source. True religion is that improves the conditions of individuals and the world by teaching what is right. Should the teachings of Kofuku-no-Kagaku spread throughout the whole world, other religions - Christianity, Buddhism, Islam, Confucianism - would not cease to exist; the new Law for the earth, Buddha's Truth will unify all.
It is time for us to wake up to our role as citizens of earth. We can overcome differences in religion, race, language and nationality by following the Buddha's Truth. As the Law is accepted and embraced by people)Ie throughout the world, humanity will pass safely through the end of the century, entering a new era of civilization for the next.
- Profile of Master Ryuho Okawa
- Master Ryuho Okawa, President of Kofuku-no-Kagaku, is the author of approximately 150 books and currently is one of the best-selling writers in Japan.
He was born on July 7, 1956 in Tokushima Prefecture, Japan. After graduating from the University of Tokyo, he studied international finance at New York University while achieving success in the business world with a Tokyo based general trading house. In 1986, he decided to follow his higher calling, and established Kofuku-no-Kagaku to enlighten and educate people in the Science of Happiness.
Kofuku-no-Kagaku is a major, revolutionary factor in that its teachings integrate the wisdom of all religions and philosophies, presenting them in a unique way that is valuable for people of all backgrounds, educational levels and experiences.
In terms of the eternal life of the spirit, Master Okawa is an incarnation of El Cantare, the grand spirit of the terrestrial spirit group. A part of the EI Cantare consciousness once incarnated as Shakyamuni Buddha in India and at another time as Hermes in ancient Greece. The name El Cantare signifies "beautiful land of light, Earth," and the descent of this core consciousness heralds a new terrestrial era for the earth.
- Memberships System
- Anyone with the aspiration and vision to seek the way and contribute to the realization of love, peace and happiness on earth is welcome to join Kofuku-no-Kagaku .
- The monthly Message:
- Kofuku-no-Kagaku.(in English/French/Portuguese/Chinese/Korean/Japanese)
- The ceremony to pledge devotion to the Three Treasures.
- These three books containing our basic sutras will be offered at the ceremony to pledge devotion to the Three Treasures.
1.Buddha's Teaching: The Dharma of the Right Mind
2.Prayers Book 1
3.Prayers Book 2
Go back to Main Page