|Position: Outside Linebacker/Strong Safety
|Hometown: St. Stephen, S.C.
Career Notes | Agility | High School | Personal | Stats
Positives: Hard worker who always plays at full speed
Lacks size, but his quickness and agility could see him shift to safety at the pro level
Has explosion coming off the edge on the blitz
Has a very strong hand punch to jolt tight ends out of their routes
Physical stepping up in run support, playing at a low pad level with arms extended to make the classic wrapup tackle
Accelerates to the ball with blazing speed
Works well to the inside and has the lateral agility to cut off the outside running game.
Negatives: Despite his high production, he is not a solid tackler
Struggles to fight through blocks when he does not extend his hands (not a take-on guy as he fails to shed)
Has below-average size and bulk for the linebacker position
Instincts are off and he is not quick to read (slow to react)
Gets overwhelmed by the larger blockers
More of an east-west tackler who does not scrape or play downhill
Could struggle playing in the secondary, as his pass drops are short and he fails to recognize the pass (eyeballs the quarterback too much, biting on play action)
Overruns the ball, at times, taking bad angles to the ball carrier.
Tough, durable athlete who started 44 games during his career, setting the school's all-time record with 421 tackles (270 solos)
Also registered 20½ sacks for minus-153 yards, 64 stops for losses of 278 yards, 2 fumble recoveries, 6 forced fumbles, 12 pass deflections and 6 interceptions for 88 yards in returns
Led the team in tackles in each of his last three seasons.
Sheridan Broadcasting Network All-America first-team choice for the third straight year
All-Mid Eastern American Conference first-team selection
Started all year at strongside outside linebacker, leading the team for the third straight year with 92 tackles (61 solos), including 1½ sacks for minus-9 yards and 9 stops for losses of 26 yards
Intercepted 2 passes for 24 yards in returns and deflected 3 others
Caused 2 fumbles.
- Texas Southern - Caused a fumble, had a pressure and made 12 hits (7 solos) with a pair of stops for minus-6 yards.
- Hampton - Posted 4 tackles (2 solos).
- Maine - Added 5 tackles, including one for a loss.
- Morris Brown - Had 3 tackles with a pass deflection and an 8-yard interception return.
- Florida A&M - Collected 12 tackles (9 solos) with a 4-yard sack, 2 stops for minus-5 yards, a forced fumble and a pair of pressures.
- Morgan State - Followed with a 9-tackle (6 solos) performance.
- North Carolina A&T - Made 10 hits (8 solos) with a stop behind the line of scrimmage and a pass breakup.
- Norfolk State - Was in on 7 tackles (3 solos), an assisted sack for minus-5 yards and a pair of stops behind the line of scrimmage.
- South Carolina State - Delivered 7 tackles (6 solos), including one that stopped tailback Derek Watson for a 2-yard loss.
- Bethune-Cookman - Came up with 13 tackles (10 solos) and 2 stops for minus-5 yards.
- Delaware State - Closed out his career with a 16-yard interception return, a pass breakup and 10 tackles (5 solos).
All-America first-team pick by the Sheridan Broadcasting Network, Associated Press and Football Gazette
Named SBN Black College Defensive Player of the Year
All-MEAC first-team pick and Defensive Player of the Year (first player in school history to earn MEAC POY honors twice in a career)
Started every game at strongside outside linebacker
Led the team with 120 tackles (82 solos), including 8 sacks for minus-75 yards and 27 stops for losses of 138 yards
Returned an interception 49 yards and deflected 4 passes
Recovered 2 fumbles and caused 3 others.
All-America selection by the Sheridan Broadcasting Network
All-MEAC first-team and Defensive Player of the Year
Led the team with 126 tackles (79 solos) from his strongside outside linebacker position
Had a pair of interceptions for 15 yards in returns and 5 pass deflections
Caused a fumble
Added 5 sacks for minus-25 yards and 13 stops for losses of 44 yards.
Started every game at strongside outside linebacker as a true freshman
Second on the squad with 83 tackles (48 solos), including 6 sacks for minus-44 yards and 15 stops for losses of 70 yards
Picked off a pass.
Played most of the 2001 season with a fractured left thumb suffered in the season opener against Jackson State.
CAMPUS AGILITY TESTS
Timed at 4.54 in the 40-yard dash
345-pound bench press
31-inch vertical jump
32-inch arm length
9 7/8-inch hands
All-conference and all-area selection as a linebacker at Timberland (St. Stephen, S.C.) High.
Human Communication/Speech Pathology major
Born Feb. 21, 1980
Resides in St. Stephen, S.C.
Copyright (C) 2003 The Sports Xchange. All Rights Reserved.