Forest Stewardship Plan
Raging River Natural Area
The Raging River Natural Area is located on the east bank of the Snoqualmie River two miles south of Fall City. King County acquired the 52-acre Natural Area through the Forest Legacy Program to help preserve and protect water and habitat quality in the Raging River and the Snohomish Basin.
The Natural Area Forest Stewardship Plan provides a record of existing conditions and establishes recommendations for the future management of the Natural Area. The Raging River provides high quality spawning habitat for large populations of five anadromous salmon species. The heavily forested Natural Area provides wildlife corridors and protects aquatic habitat and water quality. Numerous terrestrial wildlife are present including elk, deer, and bear and a diversity of resident and migratory bird species.
The main objective of the Natural Area Forest Stewardship Plan is to maintain and improve the prime habitat along the eastside of the Raging River. The resource management activities undertaken within the riparian area or the forested uplands will restore, enhance or protect the habitat values of the riparian area. The following goals are used to establish balanced management of the Raging River Natural Area:
- Manage for natural river-floodplain interactions on site
- Encourage the development of a mature riparian area dominated by native vegetation, extending at least 300 feet from the rivers edge
- Retain wetland characteristics and functions
- Maintain and improve terrestrial and aquatic wildlife habitat across the site
- Maintain and improve forest health
- Identify, map and delineate sensitive areas on-site prior to any management activities
- Retain as a forested environment to ensure that water quantity and quality are protected
- Undertake management practices that will accelerate the development of forest structure, and biodiversity, and increase the coniferous component of the forest land
- Provide trail access into the site with connections to adjacent public lands
The Raging River Natural Area Forest Stewardship Plan is available in Adobe Acrobat format. For help using Acrobat files, please visit our Acrobat help page. The document is available in parts to reduce download time and minimize computer problems during and after download.
Raging River Natural Area Forest Stewardship Plan (920 Kb)
Figure 1 - Site Map (59 Kb)