Taken from the Old English words 'bere' & 'tün' meaning 'barley
town' with the village being mentioned in the Domesday Book as
'Bartun'. Barton is a small village on the main A6 road situated
approx. 5.5 miles from Preston. At
the end of a tree lined avenue sits the lovely church of St. Laurence,
which incorporates a memorial to the 14/20th
King’s Hussars, and was erected in 1905, paid for by William Smith
of Newsham House. This church replaced an earlier church dedicated
to St. Mary which was erected in 1806. The
Roman Catholic Church of St. Mary Newhouse erected in 1863 replaced
an earlier Newsham Chapel which was erected by Father Roger
Brockholes of Claughton in 1741-2.
The name Bartle is thought to have derived from the Old English
words 'bere' & 'tægl' meaning 'a tongue of land on which barley
grows' although some say it could derive from the Old English word
'bar' which would transcribe to' a tongue of land were boars roam'
this second suggestion is based on the theory that this once being a
heavily wooded area there would have been a plentiful supply of
boars. Bartle is probably best known for Bartle Hall originally
known as Leach Hall.
The first recorded use this name was in the Domesday Book when the
village was known as 'Brocton' and later in 1303 was recorded as
'Broghton' The name is believed to be Old English in origin from the
words 'bröc' and 'tûn' meaning 'Town by a stream'. Dr. Whitaker
believed that Broughton obtained its name from from a small Roman
fort, sitting as it does on the line of the old Roman Road from
Manchester to Lancaster. Traces of the
first settlement can be found by the Blundel Brook. Because of its proximity to Preston, the village of Broughton is
sought out by commuters, however there are still cottages and houses
from the time when it was a rural village community.
Catforth is partly in the parish of Woodplumpton and partly in that
of Inskip, and lies between these villages, some five miles from
Preston. The ground was once
marshy so that drainage and infilling was necessary. The inn called
The Running Pump and the house known as Spring Cottage bear witness
to the presence of natural springs. Spring Cottage is thought to
have been the brewhouse of the inn. The
agricultural past and present of the village is marked by the old
smithy and the tithe barn (now a private house) and the number of
working farms. Cottages once inhabited by handloom weavers and the
name of Tan Pit Farm refer to former occupations in addition to
farming; so does the malt house shown on the 1840s Ordnance Survey
map as being on the canal bank.
Cottam derives from the Old English words 'cot' & 'um' meaning
'the cottages', the first recorded use of the name was in 1230 when
it was described as 'Cotun' but by 1235 had become 'Cotum' much as
it is pronounced today.
Kuerden tells us of an undated deed where; "Geoffrey de Cottam,
acknowledges that he hold some land belonging to Henry de Hydok, by
an annual rent of 15d and a half pound of cumins." Baines says
in 'The History of Lancashire' 1868 that of the aforementioned
family of Henry de Hydok; "were probably Edmund de Haydocke,
who according to a survey in 1320-1346, held part of one carucate of
land in socage (a feudal tenancy) in the manor of Ashton, and
Elianora, a widow of Richard de Haydoke, who held lands in Ingol,
Cottam and Ashton in the 16th year of the reign of Henry the VIII.
George Leop Haydock, a very learned Roman Catholic priest, who owned
some property in Cottam, including a house and a farm called 'The
Tag' doed about 1840. He published an edition of the Bible, also a
paraphrase of the Psalms."
The fine timbered Ancestral
home of the Haydock family, Cottam Hall was demolished around 1860.
Henry de Haydock was a member of parliament for Preston in 1330 and
was no doubt one of the Cottam Haydocks. One of this family was
William Haydock one of the monks of Whalley Abbey, who was convicted
of high treason (for partaking in The Pilgrimage of Grace) in 1537,
being executed in a field near the Abbey on the 13th march in the
Fulwood referred to as Fulewde in 1199 was located at a
major crossroad in Roman Times on the intersection between the
Kirkham to Ribchester (Watling St Road) and the Walton-le-Dale to
Lancaster roads. During this time Fulwood like most of the North
West was covered in forest. The forest later became part of the
estate of Roger de Poitou. In 1199 a Royal Charter granted the
burgesses of Preston the right to fell the timber and settle the
land and did so to such an extent that by the 17th century little
woodland was left. 138 acres of Land was retained by the Crown
later to be developed as Fulwood Barracks.
Goosnargh derives its name from an Old Irish word 'Gosan or Gusan'
an Irish name & therefore means 'Gosan's or Gusan's hill
pasture', the first recorded use of the name was in the Domesday
Book of 1086 when it was refered to as 'Gusansarghe' but by 1212 was
described as 'Gosenarghe' much like today's pronunciation. Situated to the north east of Preston, visitors can purchase the
local fayre of Goosnargh Cakes. In the village is the late medieval
Church of St Mary’s in which can be found a well preserved
register dating back to the early 1600’s. In the 11th century St.
Mary's was a chapel of ease, only becoming a parish in 1846. Legend
says that the church was planned to be erected on another site, but
the fairies kept moving the materials to its present location.
Once a little hamlet half-way between Preston and Longridge,
Grimsargh is now a sizeable village. Historically, it has always
been ‘passed through’ en route to somewhere else, but it is
thought that a Norseman named Grim claimed a tract of land (or ‘argh’)
and settled here.
later Cromwell and his armies probably passed through after his
victory at Preston in 1648. In the next century, skirmishes in the
area were between the Catholic Jacobites and Protestant supporters
of the new Hanoverian King. Perhaps these armies marched past the
newly built farmhouses, Wood Top with a 1724 date stone and
Grimsargh Hall built just a year or two later.
Haighton Called Halctun in the
Inglewhite lies two miles south of Beacon Fell Country Park.
Cottages and the local village pub surround the market cross dating
from 1500, on the shaft can be found the initials HCIW dated
1675, believed to be those of Justice Warren, who was at that time
the Lord of the Manor. The village
green, was once the site of cattle and sheep fairs which were
stopped in the 19th century, by a vicar opposed to the practice of bull baiting. Roads
leading into the village have the quaint sounding names such as Button
Street suggesting the making of buttons, Silk Mill Lane and Trotter
Street were horses were trotted prior to sale. The Congregational
Church which is situated of silk mill lane was built in 1826. Silk
Mill Lane derives its name from a bygone silk mill powered by a
waterwheel adjacent to where the brook crosses the Lane. Barring
a few stones, a boggy piece of land is all that stands testament to
once popular St Mary's well stones.
Peddlers cafe was once a smithy, made ammunition boxes during the
1st World War closing around 1992. The car park opposite the church
was once common land complete with pond and ducking stool. In the
wood yard once stood the Workhouse. Two more pubs once existed in
the village namely the Queens Arms and The Black Bull.
The name Lea is taken from the Old English word 'læh' meaning 'a
clearing in the wood' the first recorded use of the name was in the
Domesday Book of 1086. Lea (pronounced Lee-ah) is four miles west of Preston and north of
the river Ribble. Today there is little material evidence of the
historical association of this part of the rural district but it is
interesting to note that Lea with the present day spelling was
mentioned in the Domesday Book.
ancient times the district of Lea was divided into two hamlets
called French Lea (presumed to be through the Norman settlers) and
English Lea, the estates of the de Hoghton's both divided by the Savick Brook.
‘Once every Preston Guild,’ has become an
everyday phrase to describe something that does not happen too
often. This is because the Guild celebrations take place in the town
only once every 20 years. Since Henry II granted the right in 1328,
the Guild Court has been held here. Members of the Guild committed
themselves to a high standard of integrity in work and business. If
they did not maintain standards of work and honesty, they had their
Cows’ ribs are very prominent in the village. At Old Rib Farm,
built in 1612 on Halfpenny Lane, a rib is to be found over the
doorway. The story goes that an old dun cow which grazed the moors
was the only one in the locality still producing milk at the time of
a severe drought. A witch milked her dry through a sieve and the cow
died. The skeleton was preserved and one of the ribs was placed over
the doorway of the farm as a memorial of the event. The rib was once
removed and hidden in Charnley Brook, however the thief experienced
so many disasters he returned the rib to its original location. Halfpenny Lane
is so called because it was the old toll road and that was the price
incurred by those who travelled along it. It is found north of the
main road, on the western edge of Longridge.
Woodplumpton situated to the west of the
A6 approx. five miles north west of Preston, derives its name from the Old English words 'wudu'
& 'Plumton' meaning ''Plumpton in the wood', the first recorded
use of the name was in the Domesday Book of 1086 when it was refered
to as 'Plunton' however by 1256 this had become' Plumpton' the
second part of the name is thought to refer to a 'a plum tree town'
from the words 'plum tree' & 'tun'. The township of Plumpton
contained the hamlets of Woodplumpton, Catforth, Eaves and Bartell,
all of which were in the manor of Woodplumpton.
manor was held by the barons of Stockport one of whom married an
heiress of the Gernet family. Robert de Stokeport who died in 1248-9
left a daughter and heiress Joan who firstly married Nicholas de
Eton and secondly John de Arderne. By her first husband Joan had a
son Robert, to whom the second husband released all his rights in
the manors of Plumpton and Formby in 1340. Mr. Watson says,
"Nicholas de Eton, by the name and description of Nicholas de
Eton eldest son of Joan, daughter and heiress of Sir Richard de
Stokeport transferee to Margaret de Arderne the manor of Wood
Plumpton, which Joan his mother had granted to the said Margery,
daughter of Sir John Arderne. Cicely, sister of Robert de Stokeport,
heiress of the Etons (who were surnamed Stokeport) conveyed Wood
Plumton, together with other estates, by marraige to Sir Edward
Warren of Poynton. The estates continued in this line until
Elizabeth Harriet, only daughter of Sir George Warren, transferred
the manor by marraige on the 26th April 1777 to Thomas Bulkeley,
Viscount Bulkeley. The Fleming-Leycesters succeeded to the
possesions of the Bulkeleys, and subsequently Lord de Tabley later
became the lord of Wood Plumpton. Later C Birley of Bartle Hall
became lord of the manor.
Chapel at Woodplumpton is said to have been re-erected in 1630, and
the date 1639 is cut upon the timbers of the roof. The oak communion
table bears the date 1635 however the register commenced in May
1603. In the north aisle is a monument of white marble, representing
a sailor leaning in a mournful pose upon a pillar, under which is an
inscription dedicated to the memory of Henry Foster, R.N., F.R.S.,
who was accidentally drowned in the river Chargres, on the Gulf of
Mexico, on the 8th of February 1831 aged 34.
wish to acknowledge the assistance of Preston
Borough Council in compiling this web page.