|Position: Inside Linebacker
|College: Ohio State
|Hometown: Lorain, Ohio
Career Notes | Agility | High School | Personal | Stats
Positives: Above-average athlete with well-defined muscle tone Very intelligent player who was responsible for calling defensive signals Hits with aggression and has the breakdown ability, change of direction and wrapup skills to make tackles in space Has good reaction quickness and the range to make plays towards the sidelines Shows awareness to sniff out the screens, draws and reverses Uses his hands well to protect his feet vs. low blocks.
Negatives: Taken out in passing situations, as he lacks explosion and long range speed, and spends too much time eying the quarterback, causing him to react late working in the zone Turns his shoulders too much, causing him to look hesitant when trying to redirect Needs to stack and shed blocks better, as he does not seem to like to step up and fill the holes Gets sealed from the play too often, getting cut down quite a bit in the open field Shows stiffness in his lateral flow Struggles to turn and burst in man coverage Seems to lunge at ball carriers rather than break down and wrap up Will generally lose foot races along the sidelines Ducks his head some when working in traffic and appears too slow to be effective as a blitzer or on the pass rush Keeps his stance too wide and needs to improve his footwork.
Mainstay for the Buckeyes' defense, starting 34 of the 48 games he's played in Smart player who delivers punishing tackles and was responsible for making all defensive calls Recorded 266 tackles (180 solos) with eight sacks for minus-41 yards, 44 stops for losses of 126 yards, three interceptions for 25 yards in returns and four forced fumbles His 41 stops behind the line of scrimmage rank sixth on the school's career-record list.
All-Big Ten Conference first-team selection Started every game, leading the team with a career-high 121 tackles (79 solos), with three sacks for minus-15 yards and a team-high 20 stops for losses of 49 yards Deflected three passes and intercepted two others Also had a pair of forced fumbles.
- Preseason - Missed spring drills while recovering from reconstructive right ankle surgery.
- Texas Tech - Made 10 tackles (8 solos) with a stop for a 2-yard loss.
- Washington State - Picked off a Jason Gesser pass, deflected another and posted 6 tackles with a pair of stops behind the line of scrimmage.
- Cincinnati - Had 9 tackles with 4 stops for losses and a pass breakup.
- Northwestern - Registered a season-high 15 tackles (9 solos), including one for a loss.
- San Jose State - Made 6 tackles with a stop for a 2-yard loss and a forced fumble.
- Indiana and Wisconsin - Posted 5 tackles with a stop behind the line of scrimmage in each game.
- Penn State - Assisted in stopping tailback Larry Johnson for a loss, causing a fumble on the play as he also came up with 8 tackles (6 solos).
- Minnesota - Followed with a 7-tackle effort.
- Purdue - Registered 8 tackles (5 solos) with a 6-yard sack, picked off a pass and batted away another.
- Illinois - Collected 12 tackles (9 solos), 2 stops for minus-8 yards and a pass deflection.
- Michigan - Matched his season-high with 15 tackles (10 solos), including a stop for a 3-yard loss.
- Miami (Fla.) (Fiesta Bowl) - Led the team with 10 tackles (6 solos), stopping tailbacks Willis McGahee (twice) and Jarret Payton (once) behind the line of scrimmage.
Named winner of the Randy Gradishar Award as the team's top linebacker Despite a nagging right ankle injury that would force him to miss the Wisconsin game and most of the San Diego State clash (underwent reconstructive surgery after the season), he finished third on the team with 63 tackles (45 solos), a 1-yard sack and seven stops for losses of 23 yards Also caused a fumble.
Moved to middle linebacker, starting every game Recorded 66 tackles (48 solos) with three sacks for minus-20 yards and tied for the team lead with 15 stops for losses of 47 yards Intercepted a pass and deflected two others Also caused a fumble.
Reserve outside linebacker, seeing action in 11 games, mostly on special teams Recorded 16 tackles (8 solos) with a 5-yard sack (vs. UCLA) and two stops for losses of 7 yards.
Suffered a right shoulder stinger (Oct. 2000) Suffered a partial medial collateral ligament tear in his left knee (Dec. 2000) Bothered by a low back strain (May 2001) Suffered a right ankle sprain that would require reconstructive surgery after the 2001 season, missing 2002 spring drills.
CAMPUS AGILITY TESTS
Timed at 4.79 in the 40-yard dash 375-pound bench press 550-pound squat 325-pound power clean 35-inch vertical jump 9-foot-5 broad jump 32-inch arm length 9 3/8-inch hands Right-handed.
COMBINE AGILITY TESTS
|33||10||27|| || || || || || || || |
First-team All-Ohio selection at Elryia (Lorain, Ohio) Catholic High Had 100 tackles, including 26 tackles for loss and 11 sacks as a senior Also played some tight end and running back.
Communications major Son of Ruth and Roger Wilhelm Born Feb. 2, 1981 Resides in Lorain, Ohio.
Copyright (C) 2003 The Sports Xchange. All Rights Reserved.