|College: Eastern Illinois
|Hometown: Burlington, Wis.
Career Notes | Agility | High School | Personal | Stats
Positives: Has broad shoulders, quick feet and deceptive speed
Very effective at reading defenses to deliver the underneath passes
Able to go through progression and has the quick release needed to get the ball off when pressured
Has above-average arm strength, especially when throwing from the inside hash
Has good touch on his short tosses and can lay the ball up for receivers running down the sidelines
Shows very good poise and is known as a vocal leader
Gets good movement rolling around the pocket with a keen sense for the pass rush
Effective scrambler who can make defenders miss when he decides to run
Quick thinker who communicates well with his teammates and coaches (coaches call him a student of the game)
Appears to be able to throw the ball better on the move rather than standing in the pocket.
Negatives: Lacks ideal foot speed, but manages to elude and get the ball off (rarely gets sacked)
Operates out of the shotgun, showing just adequate drop in his pass set when operating under center
Forces his vertical tosses and is more effective working the short and medium passing game
Needs to show better arm strength on his long balls as he tends to over-shoot
Will stand flat-footed at times, resulting in throwing off balance, causing the ball to sail.
The first player in school and Ohio Valley Conference history to win the Walter Payton Award (given to the nation's top player at the NCAA Division I-AA level)
Also became the first three-time OVC Player of the Year
Holds school and conference career records with 85 touchdown passes
Second in school history and third in OVC annals with 8,212 yards passing
Second in Eastern Illinois and OVC history with 584 pass completions
Second on the school's all-time list with 941 pass attempts
Ranked second on the school's career chart (third in OVC) with 8,059 yards in total offense.
All-America first-team selection by The NFL Draft Report, American Football Coaches Association, Associated Press and The Sports Network
All-OVC first-team and Player of the Year choice for the third straight year
Recipient of the Walter Payton Trophy
Set school and conference records as he completed 258 of 407 passes (63.4 percent) for 3,165 yards (second in OVC and third in EIU annals) and 34 touchdowns
Scored once on 35 carries
His 3,149 yards in total offense ranked third in school and conference season annals.
- Hawaii - Hit on 30 of 53 passes (attempts rank third on the school's single-game list) for 319 yards and 4 scores.
- Kansas State - Gained 169 yards on 23 of 35 throws with a touchdown.
- Indiana State - Connected on 13 of 23 tosses for 207 yards and 3 scores, including a 40-yarder to Will Bumphus.
- Illinois State - Followed with 16 of 21 passes for 278 yards and 3 touchdowns.
- Tennessee Tech - Turned the ball over on a fumble, but completed 28 of 38 attempts for 373 yards and 4 scores.
- Eastern Kentucky - Fumbled the ball, but scooped it up for an 8-yard touchdown run
Hit on 19 of 38 passes for 359 yards and a pair of scores, including a 71-yarder to Bumphus.
- Southeast Missouri - Gained 295 yards on 24 of 34 tries and 5 touchdowns
His 5 scoring tosses rank third on the school's single-game list.
- Tennessee State - Completed 17 of 31 throws for 322 yards and 4 touchdowns, including 47-, 21- and 51-yarders to Bumphus.
- Tennessee-Martin - Hit on 17 of 21 attempts for 211 yards and a pair of scores.
- Florida Atlantic - Gained 115 yards with 3 touchdowns on 17 of 22 throws.
- Murray State - Totaled 302 yards on 33 of 47 passes, including 2 scores.
- Western Illinois (NCAA Division I-AA Playoffs) - Closed out his career with 21 of 44 passes for 215 yards and a touchdown.
Associated Press All-America third-team choice
All-OVC and Player of the Year pick
Led Division I-AA in passing efficiency, as he completed 138 of 207 passes (66.7 percent) for 2,068 yards, 21 touchdowns and only 6 interceptions
Averaged 198.8 yards per game in total offense.
All-America honorable mention by Football Gazette
All-OVC first team and Player of the Year
Ranked second in Division I-AA ranks in passing efficiency, completing 164 of 278 passes (59.0 percent) for 2,583 yards and 27 touchdowns
Scored once on 36 carries.
Appeared in three games, completing 24 of 49 passes (49.0 percent) for 396 yards and 3 touchdowns.
Redshirted as a freshman.
No injuries reported.
CAMPUS AGILITY TESTS
Timed at 4.91 in the 40-yard dash
300-pound bench press
250-pound power clean
30-inch vertical jump
32 3/8-inch arm length
9 3/8-inch hands
COMBINE AGILITY TESTS
Attended Burlington (Wis.) High, lettering three times in football.
Born April 21, 1980
Resides in Burlington, Wis.
Copyright (C) 2003 The Sports Xchange. All Rights Reserved.