Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Pages: (4) [1] 2 3 ... Last »  ( Go to first unread post )
The Future Of Statgfx, Where things are headed; input welcome
« Next Oldest | Next Newest » Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
dotcomguy
Posted: May 6 2003, 06:01 AM

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

As you can see, the statistics images offered by this web site have been temporarily disabled. I apologize for this, but I am working to correct the problem and get your stats images working again.

Statgfx has outgrown its current hosting. I am arranging to move the Statgfx web site elsewhere that can deal with the resources required to run this service. This means it is going to cost me more to provide this service. So, I am asking for your help and your feedback regarding the future of this service.

I have had big plans in the last few months for this web site and do not intend to discontinue this at all. However, for things to continue, there will have to be some changes made. So far, you have had the benefit of using this service entirely free. In order to keep this service alive, I need help from its users to help maintain the site. The resources that this project is beginning to require is pushing the limits of my personal budget, so I am asking for your help.

Currently, I am asking for donations via Paypal which can help me fund the new server. You can find a link on the front page. Anyone who donates at least $5 will be given a working URL until things are back to normal. Also, if you donate, I will remember your contribution in the future as the Statgfx service continues.

Now, I'm going to move from the current situation to discussing where Statgfx is headed. I plan to begin offering advanced member-only services in addition to the statistics images you now get for free. I will outline some of my ideas below. Now, I hate to do it, but in order to sustain the service in any aspect, I will most likely need to begin chargin for some of these services. Believe me, I don't want to pull out the rug from anyone, so to speak. I would like to continue offering the service as-is to current users. There may be limitations, but I'm not sure. I would like there always to be a free component to this service. I merely want to offer other services and incentive to paying members.

Nothing is set in stone yet. There are two purposes for this thread. The first is to inform. I wanted everyone to know what was going on and what I was planning to do about it. The second reason is to ask for your feedback. I do not know what things will be like exactly a month or two months from now. I want the service tailored to its users, though. I don't want to lose you because I make a bad policy decision. I would like to know what you think would be the best course of action and with what terms you would be happy.

I thought of charging either monthly or yearly. I assure you, whatever the price is, it will be very inexpensive. How much would you be willing to pay for some extra features and/or unlimited usage of the stats images? Should there be one set price or should there be different levels of membership, each with more features? I was thinking of perhaps having a very low monthly price and allow users to pay as many months in advance as they'd like. Perhaps there could be a discounted rate for paying yearly instead? I don't really know at this point which is why I'm asking for your input. I want to find a good middle ground. I don't want to be so strict as to lose too many members but at the same time I want to make sure I can sustain the service with whatever route I go. Also, if you donate before this kind of arrangement is made, rest assured your donation will be applied to a membership and perhaps even at a discounted rate.

Here is a list of features I have been thinking of for the Statgfx service as a whole. If there is a membership layout, some of these features might be available to only certain membership levels or in limited amounts on each. There will be at least two levels of membership: free and paid, most likely. I think a free membership with limited features would still be a good idea.

Features:
Statistics Images
Images showing user and/or team statistic in a small graphic.

Private Templates
Templates that are created only for personal use that are not listed
publicly.

Public Template
Templates that are submitted and available for all Statgfx users.

Saved Statgfx Links
Users can save Statgfx configurations as links and refer to them later.

Saved Remote Links
Users can save links that are not pointing to locations at Statgfx.com

Image Hosting
This provides a small amount of hosting space where users can upload
images that they want to display in their signatures.

Random Links
This is used in conjuction with saved links where certain saved links
can be checked to be used with a random image script.

Stored Quotes
Store a list of quotations that can be displayed in signatures randomly
using templates.

Sig Editor
Want to preview and perfect your sig? Use the sig editor to enter your
signature exactly as you would at your forums

Stored Sigs
This will allow users to save signatures that they use for reference
later. These can be viewed and edited at later times

Color Schemes
Users will be able to submit color schemes for other users to apply to
graphics that preconfigure all the color options.

If you have any questions about or suggestions regarding these ideas, please, please post. Which of these ideas do you like? Which do you think aren't that great? Do you know of any other sig-related features that you might like to see here? I want to make this a dynamic and useful site for its users.

So, tell me what you think. What should be in the future for Statgfx. I'm not sure how things will be, but whatever changes are made, I can say things will be better soon and you will get better service and more features than before. All input is appreciated.

Thank you

Edit: This thread is in the announcement forum, but registered forum members are able to reply to threads here, just not start them. (At least you should be able to. If not, let me know) So, you can post any comments here, if you'd like. smile.gif

This post has been edited by dotcomguy on May 6 2003, 09:55 PM

--------------------
user posted image
user posted image Denny D. Daugherty
http://www.denny.daugherty.name
user posted image

Dan
Posted: May 7 2003, 12:56 AM

Group: Statgfx Premium Member
Member No.: 36

I donated biggrin.gif I like StatGFX, plus the "not available" image is devastating to the appeal of my sig ani-toungue.gif

dotcomguy
Posted: May 7 2003, 02:49 AM

Administrator

QUOTE (Dan @ May 6 2003, 07:56 PM)
I donated biggrin.gif I like StatGFX, plus the "not available" image is devastating to the appeal of my sig toungue.gif

mwhaha, then it worked. Perhaps I should make it more "devastating" in appearance. >:-D

Just kidding. Seriously, thanks a lot for your contribution, Dan. You can change your current links as follows:

http://www.statgfx.com/statgfx/tkc/? --> http://www.statgfx.com/statgfx/tck/temp.cgi?
Everything after the question mark can stay the same and your image will appear as it did before. This is a temporary link that will work until I get better hosting. smile.gif
If you used any of the other types of stats images, just send my your account information and I'll activate you for those scripts as well.

--------------------
user posted image
user posted image

Posted: May 7 2003, 08:02 AM

Group: Members
Member No.: 37

The PayPal website is temporarily unavailable due to maintenance.
It will be available again at approximately 3:00 AM Pacific Time.
We apologize for any inconvenience.

no.gif

ah well - gotta wait then sad.gif

TADA

--------------------
Admin @ GiVEiT2ME4FREE

user posted image
user posted image

turbokid66
  Posted: May 7 2003, 09:33 AM

Member No.: 27

To start off, this is for the people that want to complain or fuss about a possibility of having to pay a member fee, not to mention help you feel better about what you are asking the users to do. After all, I don't think you are asking for much here, and certainly don't see how it could be wrong of you to ask anyway....

I think it is perfectly fair to have a fee set up. You put a lot of time and effort into creating this and it is used by all of us to serve a purpose every day, even though it isn't quite a necesity item. In fact that is probably even more reason you should have a small fee for it. What does keeping it free mean? It means you are a good person, but you deserve to get some assistance from the users for the time and effort you invest. Of course there will be people that like to take advantage and will gripe if they have to pay a few dollars to continue using the service, but oh well, you can't make all of the people happy all of the time, and its not fair to you to have kept this a free service and invested all of your time and effort, and now have to invest more of your money too. If people want to complain about a couple of dollars to use a service they like, then they can find a way to do without it. The only benefit I can see you getting is some self satisfaction which is always nice, but it doesn't pay the bills, not to mention, if people start contributing, or paying a membership fee, you will still have that self satisfaction, and probably more of it because you have accomplished something further with your web site and the service you provide. This is by no means unreasonable, particularly if we the users, want our images to run with more stability and options so we can enjoy them for as long as we would like.

And now for some good news....

I think I landed a job today in which case I will be working starting next week. As soon as I get caught up and on my feet again, you can certainly count on a donation coming from my direction. Unfortunately, I have to worry about my bills too, so it may take a couple weeks before I am able to help you out, but I would be more than happy since I do enjoy the service you provide, and would like to figure out more ways to use this service, or maybe come up with some other ideas to help you expand the services you offer using the same concept, but not necasarily to display stats. If I can think of any and if they are worth while anyway. Just off the top of my head, I could see it being used to pull names for example to display birthdays or anniversaries or something if a web site had such a use somewhere since it is polling for data, doesn't have to be numbers I would imagine. But knowing that it can pull just about anything, theres no reason it shouldn't if it could help you make this bigger, and help people gain the ability to display things they may not have been able to, or may not have been worth it to if it required daily updates to web sites. But now data can be pulled from a list or database somewhere, and problem solved! Now if I can come up with any ideas more reasonable than birthdays and anniversaries, I will be sure to suggest it, and in the meantime, count on seeing a donation from me in the next few weeks, since I will be more than happy to support this site as soon as I can afford to help you out!

And finally, a suggestion or 2, and sorry this is dragged out, but its the best way I can support your situation at the moment....

If you decide to have a free version and a member version, I would say for the free, have 1 or 2 user graphics, and 1 or 2 team graphics for each of the services you provide images for at this time. And maybe access to 1 forum topic, to ask questions that are answered when you have the time to do it, and if it takes a day or 2 for an answer, and you don't like it, consider spending $5 or $10 dollars and you wont have to deal with it. Then for the pay service(s) have the additional graphics that you provide for these services, access to all of the forums beyond read only with a commitment that you or moderators will address questions or issues daily. Then also have the template creation options just for the members, possibly as even a slightly higher level since it would require more of your time between answering questions and uploading templates as they are fine tuned etc. Also, don't offer the ability to change colors on the free version, keep it bare to encourage people to pay if they want extras, since it is only fair. You can go buy a phone, but then you still have to pay for phone service, and even more for long distance service, why is this any different? If you want to go with the free option, or are required to at least for now, then you get what you pay for.... not much. But if you want more, spend a few dollars just like anything else to get what you want...... wink.gif

Hart
Posted: May 7 2003, 07:25 PM

Member No.: 16

I see no problum in haveing "Premium Member" options, most of the things you listed as possably adding would fall into this catagory, excpet for minior things like public templates and other trivial things. As for a acceptable price i'd say something around $5 US bimonthly maybe? Its not too much to ask and if enough people hop on the bandwagon it will pay for hosting and alow you to save some cash up for the day that Stagfx out grows the upgraded hosting. Who knowes thismight get so populat you have to get a dedicated box just for it wink.gif, and we all know those aren't the cheapest things on earth.

cavemonkey50
Posted: May 7 2003, 08:22 PM

Member No.: 3

DCG i'll send my $5 as soon as I can get permission to use my parent credit card.

--------------------
user posted image
user posted image

dotcomguy
Posted: May 8 2003, 02:55 AM

Administrator

Wow, great responses! This feedback is really helping me to get an idea of what you, the users, want. smile.gif

turbokid66: Good luck, I hope you got the job. smile.gif (No, not just because you mentioned a possible donation. ani-toungue.gif) I appreciate the thorough post.
Originally posted by Hart
Its not too much to ask and if enough people hop on the bandwagon it will pay for hosting and alow you to save some cash up for the day that Stagfx out grows the upgraded hosting. Who knowes thismight get so populat you have to get a dedicated box just for it , and we all know those aren't the cheapest things on earth.

True, they aren't the cheapest which I have found as I picked out a box for Statgfx. Yes, it's that big, and yes that's what the "new hosting" is. That's the reason for the big fundraising drive. I need a lot of cash up front. Even if it's not quite that big now, I definitely see it becoming bigger in the future. I have big plans for Statgfx. cool.gif
Originally poted by cavemonkey50
DCG i'll send my $5 as soon as I can get permission to use my parent credit card.

I can imagine that to be a difficult task.
"Can I use the credit card to send a donation for this web site?"
"What web site?"
"It's statgfx.com and it provides statistics grahpics that you can put in your signatures on forums and stuff!"
"What kind of statistics? What's a forum? What do you mean about signatures?"
"ummm, well . . . "
and so on ani-toungue.gif

Anyway, would it be a good idea to get a PO box? I'm going to call the post office tomorrow if I remember to see what that would entail. It would add to the startup costs, but in the end, more members will likely appreciate that option, I think.
---

Here are some more thoughts and updates...

First, with the current donations, I have about a fourth of what I need to cover the startup costs for new hosting. That's not bad for two days. Let's hope more come in.

Second, I've been thinking about how I would charge, monthly? bimonthly? yearly? In some respects a yearly fee might appeal to users, but a monthly fee is a bit more consistent. I thought then, perhaps I could have a relatively low monthly fee and allow users to pay any number of months in advance. Depending on the amount paid, the user would be alloted a calculated number of months in which they can use the advanced services. Then, even if the rate were to change, they would still have those months alloted to them. Perhaps, depending on the amount given, there could be a discounted rate for paying several months or a year in advance. I'm just thinking outloud, let me know what you think. Also, remember whatever you donate now will be applied to this pricing scheme later on.

Third, here is how I'm going to go about things, I think. A time table of sorts.

• Donations, Donations Donations - Before I can go further, I'm hoping to raise enough for the startup costs for new hosting
  • Once I have the money I need and where it needs to be, I'll get the new hosting setup. Hopefully this won't take too long
  • Once I have new hosting, I am going to copy over the scripts and web site 'as is' and get things functioning as they used to. At this time I should be able to open the service back up to everyone. Don't worry those of you who donated; you'll still get extra features, for now I want to get things back and working. The sooner I get things working, the less people (and prospective customers) I lose.
  • Get to work! The current site will be scrapped, for the most part. I am going to host the current site as it is on the new server, but will work on a new one separately. I think it would be best to work on it behind the scenes and launch when all the new features are ready. What I might do is allow paying/donating users to have a peek at the new site and get more updates. They could also help me test everything.
  • Finally, the new site will be launched. The new subscription plan will be in place and membership features will be available. Likely, all the scripts will be reworked a bit to fit better into the new overall model, and they'll run even better than before. I can't wait. biggrin.gif

Anway, that's where things stand at the moment. Any more feedback is welcomed. I will continue to keep you all updated as things progress. smile.gif

--------------------
user posted image
user posted image

9toes
Posted: May 8 2003, 04:19 PM

Member No.: 38

Are there plans to accept donations my means other that credit card.confused.gif I ask because I would like to be able to send a money order.

--------------------
user posted image

dotcomguy
Posted: May 8 2003, 04:37 PM

Administrator

QUOTE (9toes @ May 8 2003, 11:19 AM)
Are there plans to accept donations my means other that credit card.confused.gif I ask because I would like to be able to send a money order.

Yes, I am going to get a PO Box later today. smile.gif

--------------------
user posted image
user posted image

GreenEyedMonster
Posted: May 8 2003, 07:33 PM

Member No.: 39

Donation sent. smile.gif
I don't mind supporting a good idea or two.

Cheule
Posted: May 8 2003, 08:06 PM

Member No.: 35

That's the spirit wink.gif

--------------------
user posted image

dotcomguy
Posted: May 8 2003, 08:17 PM

Administrator

I just got back from the post office a few minutes ago. In addition to Paypal and Yahoo Paydirect, I can also accept cash, check, or money order, mailed to the following address:

PO Box 151
Lewisberry, PA 17339

biggrin.gif

GreenEyedMonster: Thanks. smile.gif I sent an e-mail to your Paypal address.

--------------------
user posted image
user posted image

Maxik
Posted: May 8 2003, 08:49 PM

Member No.: 40

Dont you have an bank account? I would like to donate some money but paypal or yahoo is not acceptable for me...

Cheule
Posted: May 8 2003, 08:54 PM

What about sending him a check, as he has now got a PO Box.

--------------------
user posted image

dotcomguy
Posted: May 8 2003, 09:32 PM

Administrator

I posted here about the PO Box but didn't make it clear on the front page. I have added the PO Box option to the front page now. cool.gif

--------------------
user posted image
user posted image

Cheule
Posted: May 9 2003, 09:23 AM

I'd also put a little disclaimer stating you are not responsible if anyone decides to risk sending cash through the post. It's got to be the easiest way to lose cash. sad.gif

--------------------
user posted image

9toes
Posted: May 9 2003, 01:39 PM

Member No.: 38

WooHoo, I'll be buying a money order this eveing to put in the mail tomorrow!! biggrin.gif
(BTW: love the emotes.)

--------------------
user posted image

Steel
Posted: May 9 2003, 02:39 PM

Member No.: 41

Just dropped a bit in the jar, looking forward to the new features!

--------------------
user posted image

dotcomguy
Posted: May 10 2003, 12:04 AM

Administrator

Thanks Steel and 9toes! smile.gif

Here's the progress so far:

user posted image

I decided to take some time and write a donation manager program that creates this nifty progress thermometer. ani-toungue.gif cool.gif

--------------------
user posted image
user posted image

Cheule
Posted: May 10 2003, 08:32 AM

Very nifty piece of programming smile.gif

Looks like the grand total is at about 40%. All in a week. Lets keep it up smile.gif

--------------------
user posted image

picasso
Posted: May 10 2003, 11:52 AM

Member No.: 43

Hi,

First of all, i can totally understand that you have to stop this service because of the traffic. I hope i can find a friend with a credit card who can donate the 5$ for me smile.gif

oh, and there's one thing i'm really interested in (about the image-scripts): Do you cache the Results you get, for example, from TKC? Or do you load them every time from the TKC-Server?
Would it be possible to get the Source-Code? I would never use it to make money wink.gif
The thing is: I have a webserver with lots of unused traffic, so i could set it up there and give access to some friends (all Members of my team for example). This could save some Traffic for you...

--------------------
user posted image
Image provided by myself ;)

dotcomguy
Posted: May 10 2003, 03:16 PM

Administrator

QUOTE (picasso @ May 10 2003, 06:52 AM)
Hi,

First of all, i can totally understand that you have to stop this service because of the traffic. I hope i can find a friend with a credit card who can donate the 5$ for me smile.gif

oh, and there's one thing i'm really interested in (about the image-scripts): Do you cache the Results you get, for example, from TKC? Or do you load them every time from the TKC-Server?
Would it be possible to get the Source-Code? I would never use it to make money wink.gif
The thing is: I have a webserver with lots of unused traffic, so i could set it up there and give access to some friends (all Members of my team for example). This could save some Traffic for you...

If you don't have access to a credit card, you can mail a donation to the PO box listed on the front page.

Yes, all data is cached here and updated at an interval of about 6 hours. Everytime your image is requested, the script checks the age and if it is older than that, it updates that statistics. This is really quite beneficial in two ways. First, it's a lot less work to generate each image, especially for services where I have to parse a web page, and secondly the images load a lot faster. The UD scripts used to take several seconds to load because of the latency between the servers. With data stored in a database here, it works much better.

About the source code. I'm not going to be releasing the source code from this project. There are a few reasons for this. One reason is that, the way things are, I can't distribute one script people can use. I have somewhat of a framework set up which makes it easier for me to maintain things. It makes things more complex behind-the-scenes, but it also makes things more maintainable. This means all the scripts for each service are connected in some way. Also, I am making the move from a free service where some guy puts a script on his web site. This is going to become a real service to its users, something that you can rely on. With the new server, traffic will not be a problem. If it does, I'll just have to get another one, if we ever get that popular. ani-toungue.gif

Very nifty piece of programming smile.gif

Looks like the grand total is at about 40%. All in a week. Lets keep it up  

Thanks. A quick search at hotscripts, scriptsearch, and google didn't turn up with anything, so I went ahead and made something myself. Besides, sometimes it's nice to work on something completely unrelated to things you've been working on awhile. smile.gif

To be exact, the total is at 33.67% with 12 donations so far. biggrin.gif

--------------------
user posted image
user posted image

Sick Willie
Posted: May 11 2003, 03:22 AM

Member No.: 44

I just made my donation of $5 @ Paypal in the name of Sick_Willie for Folding@home. Gimmee my url!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

dotcomguy
Posted: May 11 2003, 03:23 AM

Administrator

QUOTE (Sick Willie @ May 10 2003, 10:22 PM)
I just made my donation of $5 @ Paypal in the name of Sick_Willie for Folding@home.  Gimmee my url!!  :D  :D

Thanks! Here ya' go:

http://www.statgfx.com/statgfx/folding/temp.cgi?

user posted image

Everything after the question mark is the same as before.

biggrin.gif

--------------------
user posted image
user posted image

BigFoot
Posted: May 11 2003, 01:22 PM

Member No.: 45

Thanks for a great service... just posted my $5 to PayPal. smile.gif

I have been using the service on the BitBenderTech forum for my UD sig...
http://www.statgfx.com/statgfx/ud/?id=Corr...style=2&border;=
http://www.bitbenderforums.com/index.php

And, I've also been using two versions on my own UD stats site...
http://www.statgfx.com/statgfx/ud/?id=Corr...style=2&border;=
http://www.statgfx.com/statgfx/ud/?id=Corr...style=1&border;=
http://www.corrofcfla.com

As you can see in the links, I use the name of my UD team (BitBenderTech sub-team) CorrOfcFla in the STATgfx.com signup's.

Nelda
  Posted: May 11 2003, 01:25 PM

Member No.: 46

I put in my paper nickel and now I've gone a step further.

Okay ... I REALLY stuck my CPU in it this time. I made an offer on the BitBenderTech website for Statgfx.com. It's one I hope they don't refuse.

I figure this may help put some color in that thermometer.
Please let me know of anybody from team BBT that contributes, so that I can pay off. biggrin.gif
FYI ... if they mention BBT[b] ... that's the same as [b]BitBenderTech for purposes of my offer. Other than to honor your standing offer, there will be no need to reprogram anything.

user posted image

user posted image

Nelda
  Posted: May 11 2003, 01:28 PM

Member No.: 46

Thanks BigFoot !!
I OWE BBT 5 results.

anybody else? winkgrin.gif

Sick Willie
Posted: May 11 2003, 03:12 PM

Member No.: 44

QUOTE (dotcomguy @ May 11 2003, 03:23 AM)
Thanks!  Here ya' go:...

...Everything after the question mark is the same as before.

biggrin.gif

Thanks!!

G33k80y
Posted: May 11 2003, 07:30 PM

UD Stats Rock

Member No.: 4

Hi denny, as soon as I get my life sorted out (should be about a week or 2 - lots of family stuff :S ) I will be sending some money your way, as this project of yours is brilliant imo and on the numerous times I've chatted with you, you have been unbelievably accommodating and helpful.

Also if you are looking for some top notch innexpensive hosting then you should check out stx-hosting I have a few accounts with them and they are rally good. I also know the owner as he frequents the tekheads/bigforums forum so I could put in a good word for you if you want wink.gif

smile.gif Marc smile.gif

--------------------
user posted image

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
90 replies since May 6 2003, 06:01 AM Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
Pages: (4) [1] 2 3 ... Last »
<< Back to Announcements