Zelda Universe Forums Back to Zelda Universe

Menu | User CP | Register | Calendar | Memberlist | FAQ | Search | Private Messages

Zelda Universe Forums » Community » Feedback, Suggestions and Questions » Next Week's User-Submitted Article!--MM's Friend
Last Thread   Next Thread | Pages (2): [1] 2 » Post A Reply Post New Thread
Author
Thread
Trahald

Next Week's User-Submitted Article!--MM's Friend

Greetings everyone!

The next user-submitted article will answer the question "Who is the 'friend' Link is looking for at the beginning of MM?" I selected this for our next subject, because this thread comes up again and again in the forums. This time, I would like you to follow a specific format. I would ideally like to receive at least one submission from each of the following three viewpoints:

1. The friend is the Skull-kid.
2. The friend is Saria.
3. The friend is Navi.

The idea here is to give voice to all of the main positions.

In your article, you must not only argue for the positive evidence for saying that the "friend" is your chosen character, but also respond to evidence you've seen given in support of the other choices. That way there is continuity between the three articles expousing the three opposing viewpoints.

----
Six rules about sending them in:

1. They must be sent in by next Wednesday evening, at 6 PM EST.
2. Please send the articles in the body of the e-mail itself, not as an attachment.
3. Almost anyone can submit articles, including mods.
4. I'm not picky about length. Just make sure you've presented your arguements adequately.
5. Come up with your own title!
6. Please send me the pseudonym you wish to be known as, and if you mind having your e-mail address at the end of the article.

Also, please be aware that your article may be edited slightly for grammar. My own articles aren't syntatically perfect, so no, I won't be THAT picky, but nonetheless, it should sound like good English.

Thanks, and happy article writing!

Kai su, teknon?

Last edited by Trahald on 07-03-2003 at 03:58 AM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-03-2003 03:48 AM
Trahald is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Trahald Click here to Send Trahald a Private Message Find more posts by Trahald Add Trahald to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Trahald

*Bump*

I should have made this sticky.

Kai su, teknon?

Old Post 07-05-2003 11:42 PM
Trahald is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Trahald Click here to Send Trahald a Private Message Find more posts by Trahald Add Trahald to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Yoshi 15
Banned User (Sonic Ze) j/k

Your a mod and your breaking the rules?

Harsh....

Rules - Make them become your master.

Old Post 07-05-2003 11:50 PM
Yoshi 15 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Yoshi 15 Click here to Send Yoshi 15 a Private Message Visit Yoshi 15's homepage! Find more posts by Yoshi 15 Add Yoshi 15 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Trahald

Yeah, I made a double-post. It had to be done since the thread has not been advertised in the news as Anakin had originally said it would be (I don't fault him though . . . he had a lot to do before he left for vacation).

Believe me though . . . next time I'll make this sticky rather than double-posting to keep this up high in the list. Pretty soon I'll probably make a post in the general forum about this topic, and make that topic sticky. The reason I have to do this, of course, is because it's a function of the main site and I've only gotten one article submission so far, perhaps in part becuase not many people haven't seen this thread. In the end, I'll probably have to extend the deadline a week, which I don't want to do (but it just might be necessary).

Kai su, teknon?

Old Post 07-07-2003 07:11 PM
lord-of-shadow
Super Moderator

I sticked it for you

Rules

Old Post 07-07-2003 07:23 PM
lord-of-shadow is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lord-of-shadow Click here to Send lord-of-shadow a Private Message Find more posts by lord-of-shadow Add lord-of-shadow to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mercutio
Occult Member Moderator

Location: Silent Hill - A crazy universe where I can stop changing sigs...

I submitted by article a few days back, I think this is a really good section of the site and allows visitors to have a go at getting some of their articles read by other members of the community, ace idea Trahald.

- PM me for the Clan Test
- Signatures made on request.
- Need help? Just ask!
- Here are the rules. Read them, learn them, treat them as your child...

Old Post 07-08-2003 04:43 AM
Mercutio is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mercutio Click here to Send Mercutio a Private Message Find more posts by Mercutio Add Mercutio to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DrZaius1
Royal Hylian

Though I am aware the Trahald probably will NEVER post any article I create, no matter how "damn good" it is, I'm gonna go ahead and write one to you anyway.

Old Post 07-13-2003 07:27 AM
DrZaius1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DrZaius1 Click here to Send DrZaius1 a Private Message Find more posts by DrZaius1 Add DrZaius1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
groovemeister
Goron

I'm confused. Isn't the friend that Link's looking for Epona? She's the one he loses, and then has to look for.

Old Post 07-13-2003 08:46 AM
groovemeister is offline Click Here to See the Profile for groovemeister Click here to Send groovemeister a Private Message Find more posts by groovemeister Add groovemeister to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
andi
ZU's Sweetheart/Elentari (Queen of the Stars)

... no, it's DEFINATELY not epona... Link only loses her while he's out in the misty woods searching for someone else...

Member count for the Zeldachusetts-club so far... 4... PM me to join now! :0p
The Zelda Fan Archive...!
Read the Rules, i guess...
<TAU-Fox> Dude, those aren't hugs... she just can't find her knife in time before you let go.

Old Post 07-13-2003 08:47 AM
andi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for andi Click here to Send andi a Private Message Visit andi's homepage! Find more posts by andi Add andi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
groovemeister
Goron

Saying that he's looking for a friend doesn't have to mean that he's looking for that friend THEN. The best stories are often non-sequential. It seemed blindingly obvious to me that he was yet to look for that friend, I mean- he doesn't go on the 'journey' until after the story-bit, does he?

Old Post 07-13-2003 09:00 AM
groovemeister is offline Click Here to See the Profile for groovemeister Click here to Send groovemeister a Private Message Find more posts by groovemeister Add groovemeister to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
andi

...o_O

quote:

In the land of Hyrule, there
echoes a legend. A legend held
dearly by the Royal Family that
tells of a boy...

A boy who,
after battling evil and saving
Hyrule, crept away from the land
that had made him a legend...

Done with the battles he once
waged across time, he embarked
on a journey. A secret and
personal journey...

A journey in search of a
beloved and invaluable friend...

A friend with whom he parted
ways when he finally fulfilled his
heroic destiny and took his place
among legends...

that's the exact quote from the game's opening...

chasing after a lost horse, in my opinion, which he quickly found again, isn't exactly "a friend with whom he parted ways"

<TAU-Fox> Dude, those aren't hugs... she just can't find her knife in time before you let go.

Old Post 07-13-2003 09:13 AM
andi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for andi Click here to Send andi a Private Message Visit andi's homepage! Find more posts by andi Add andi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mercutio
Occult Member Moderator

Well the article I submitted argued that it was Skull Kid, but yeah, if that get's posted on the site you'll hear all about it so I won't go into specifics, all I want to say is that the friend is not Epona, that's pretty much for certain.

- Need help? Just ask!

Old Post 07-13-2003 09:15 AM
Mercutio is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mercutio Click here to Send Mercutio a Private Message Find more posts by Mercutio Add Mercutio to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
groovemeister
Goron

Fair enough- you're right, I'm wrong.

I didn't know it word for word, although it's possible that because it was translated from Japanese, and the translator most likely didn't know the context of the game, that's how iit came out, to seem 'poetic' in Western language.

I don't see how it could be skull kid AT ALL though, and Saria he knew the whereabouts of, leaving only Navi, which we see leave him at the end of OoT. But why look for her if she left him of her own free will? And if that's the case, wouldn't it make more sense for him to find her, rather than team-up with Tatl?

Thoughts?

Old Post 07-13-2003 09:22 AM
Mercutio
Occult Member Moderator

Just wondering Trahald, will you be posting one article for each viewpoint on the issue? This way people will see all sides to the arguments instead of just one. Just an idea.

- Need help? Just ask!

Old Post 07-13-2003 09:27 AM
andi

... exactly, there's your argument...

though let me say that he really didn't team up with tatl so much as she started following him... and link appeared to be searching for "whoever" for quite some time before tatl even came onto the scene...

and hold on, i'll look up the japanese text dump and post the romanji here... (though i know akie knows everything about the japanese version of mm...)

edit - ok, yeah, the formatting for the only mm japanese text dump i can find is all screwed up... sorry bout that...

Last edited by andi on 07-13-2003 at 09:36 AM

Old Post 07-13-2003 09:28 AM