Ross County was formed by proclamation of Gov. St. Clair 20 Aug 1798, being the sixth county formed in the Northwestern Territory. Its original limits were very extensive. It was named from the Hon. James Ross, of Allegheny County PA, who at that time was the unsuccessful candidate of the Federalists for the office of governor of that State.
At the time that Ross County was created, from land taken from Adams, Hamilton and Washington Counties, the total area encompassed 6,700 square miles - roughly 16% of the entire future state of Ohio.
Ross County: 1800
|[ Ross Locations ]||[ Webmaster ]|