What is Naturopathic Medicine?
Naturopathic Medicine combines the art and
science of disease treatment and prevention through the use of natural therapies
and gentle hands-on-techniques.
Naturopathic Doctors (ND) use safe,
gentle, non-invasive therapies, which are covered in detail under the therapies
section. ND’s provide services that are complementary to conventional medicine
and work with other members of your health care team. ND's are specialists
in natural medicine and preventive health-care, integrating scientific knowledge
with traditional healing wisdom. A Naturopathic Doctor considers the mind,
body and spirit of the patient when making a treatment assessment to assist the
whole person in maximizing the body’s inherent self-healing capacity.
Principles of Naturopathic Medicine
1. The healing power of Nature – The body has the inherent ability
to heal itself and a Naturopathic Doctor acts as a guide.
2. Doctor as Teacher – The Doctor should educate and motivate
the patient in all aspects of their healing.
3. Treat the cause – By finding the original cause and treating it,
all symptoms will be removed.
4. Treat the whole person – The whole body is affected by a disease.
Treating single parts of the patient may only lead to more complications.
5. Do no harm – Therapies used on the patient should stimulate healing
without harmful side effects.
6. Prevention – Prevention is the best cure. By educating and treating
before diseases set in, Naturopathic Doctors seek
to maintain a high level of health for all patients.