Facts about "Stillington Village", Stockton-on-Tees, England UK.
If you wish to contact me with any comments, good or bad, click on the mail link at the bottom of this page.
The village of Stillington goes back a long way. A company called "The Carlton Ironworks" had chosen the site for their factory in the 1800`s because of the abundant supply of raw materials for manufacturing iron, which could be found locally, proximity to the railway, which was the first passenger railway between Stockton and Darlington, and it had access to a supply of water from the "beck" running through it.
The iron works were built along with a few houses to accommodate the works foremen and the village was originally known as The village of the Carlton Ironworks.
Below are dates and names of streets and other events as the village grew. Some have a link to photographs.
1838 - Stillington Station, Two cottages for Station Master and clerk manning the Station.
1838 - 1867 - Blast furnaces and other structures built.
1870 - Pump house. To pump water from the beck up to the works. Lodging house. North Street. Known locally as (Slag row) because of it being close to the slag heap from the works.
1872/3 - West Street and South Street.
1873 - Mount Pleasant and Stable row.
1874 - The Cassidi Hall and Co-Operative stores.
1875 - The White House for residential works Manager. A temporary School was organised in the Lodging House. Railway Cottages and goods yard.
1876 - Royal Hotel, Morrison Terrace, Working Men's Club. Lawson Street (Initially named Church Street) and Morrison Street.
1877 - Lawson Street School and School house. photo
The school opened with 100 pupils. A burial ground was also consecrated in this year.
1879 - St. John's Church foundation stone layed. Building completed 1880. info
1884 - Wesleyan Chapel built at the end of South Street. Vicarage constructed. Extension to the Cassidi Hall for extra children attending Sunday school. Subway replaced the crossing at the top of West Street.
1888 - Water supplied to the village by Stockton and Middlesbrough Water Board.
1889 - Additional 16 houses to Lawson Street.
1894 - A water tap was provided to each house.
1898 - 7 more houses built to the top of Lawson and Morrison streets.
1899 - 17 more houses built opposite and parallel to Lawson Street, locally known as "little Lawson St."
1901 - A 12" diameter water pipe was layed to replace the 9" because of increased demand.
1911 - A larger School was built at the top of the village beyond the vicarage. The Lawson Street school was now used as the village hall.
1912 - 10 more houses in Redmarshall Street.
1913 - Work started on Kirk Street backing up to South Street.
1920 - 29 houses added to West Street, built in small terraced blocks.
1920/21 - South Avenue, 8 houses in two blocks of 4 terraced.
1922 - Unveiling of a War Memorial.
1926 - North Eastern Iron Refinery Company Ltd formed.
1930 - Carlton Iron Company closure talks. Church yard extended.
1931 - Village postal address changed from "The village of the Carlton Ironworks" to "Stillington", and the original "Stillington" changed to "Old Stillington".
1935 - May 15th, Noon. The end of the Carlton Iron Company.
More to follow......
Top of Page - Stillington Photographs - Back to Stillington Index - Contact Michael
© Michael Glass, January 2002.